Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Did the original poster use or not use the word "race" several times in his post? Why is it that you see it in my posts and not in his posts?
But how does that make the OP a racist and bigot? The OP simply brought it up, also brought up other stereotype factors such as regional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 10:43 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But how does that make the OP a racist and bigot? The OP simply brought it up, also brought up other stereotype factors such as regional.
Because the whole post is a farce, just a way to initiate a racial flaming war in a suble way to avoid immediate thread deletion. There is absolutely no reason for her to use the word race to talk about different cultures. Skin pigmentation does not define a culture.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
Well, stereotypes are usually based off the truth based on what people have noticed about other groups of people. They don't just pop in out of thin air.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:22 AM

249 posts, read 473,642 times
Quote:
Read my previous post and the one before that

I can assure you that the chances of visting 53 countries and all 50 states(mind you company travel) in 10 years while holding an office job are 0.000001%

By the way this poster speaks she seems to work in a call center and has never visited other countries. In another post she says she wants to learn Microsoft Office. She is no executive or corporate trainer. There is absolutely no reason why a company would send you to all 50 states. Not even 20 states.
My company deals with universities and we have offices all of the US and offices in Europe many of our sales guys go internationally as well as all over the USA. I think it is very likely to have traveled this extensively. When we role out a brand new product for a school many of our IT guys work with the local DBA during deployment and they are usually on site so it is possible to have traveled this much in 10 yrs. Most of our sales and IT guys have an office at our corporate head quarters but they are seldom there

Old 06-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Well, stereotypes are usually based off the truth based on what people have noticed about other groups of people. They don't just pop in out of thin air.
Like the stereotype that all the people that live in the South are rubes and idiots?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Because the whole post is a farce, just a way to initiate a racial flaming war in a suble way to avoid immediate thread deletion. There is absolutely no reason for her to use the word race to talk about different cultures. Skin pigmentation does not define a culture.
You may, or may not be, correct in that the post is a farce, but it is still a debatable subject, and further proof would be needed that there is a racial reason to this thread.

As for skin pigmentation, of course you are correct, but people of the same phenotype can associate with each other, thus create and define a culture. This is actually the basis for culture throughout history. This would thus give the perception that a certain phenotype characteristic, such as color in this case, is associated with a culture's actions.

A quesiotn would be; why in the hip-hop world there are a lot of blacks who sing; why in the country music world there are a lot whites that sing? In reality there should be an equal proportion in accordance to the population. But we do not see this, we see a lot of blacks in one, a lot of whites in another. Why? Do whites hate hip-hop? Do blacks hate country? Could a person reaosnably look at a black person and claim with a high percentage of accuracy that he listens to hip-hop? Could a person look at a white person and state with a high percentage of accuracy that he listens to country?

Of course neither music type is exclusive to a race, the color of skin does not define what type of music a perosn listens to/participates in. However, a stereotype has developed along these lines, a stereotype associated with the color of skin.

Now, does the white person listen to country out of playing to a stereotype, because this is what he thinks he is suppose to do? Does the black perosn listen to hip-hop because he thinks this is what is expected of him? Thus both are playing the role, and reinforcing the stereotype?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM

198 posts, read 508,452 times
I'm Polish and was once told I'd be a good astronaut because all I ever did in school was take up space. Luckily growing up I had some Irish neighbors who never drank, and being in such a rich diverse neighborhood as I was I often enjoyed Sunday afternoon dinners with that quiet Italian family across the street. Oh the memories. Now I spend my time on posting boards commenting on people who comment on people commenting on stereotypes by using their own stereotypes, (and my own sterotypes to boot!). I'm not saying this is funny but where would our comedy industry be without stereotypes? Could they even make a movie like blazing saddles in today's world? If you are a liberal yes you can, if you are not then likely forget it and get boycotted. Is political correctness a newer form of fascism?

Except for the Irish, radical Muslims, cat lovers, and Notre Dame football fans can't we all get along?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
American social tensions are deeply rooted in race and racial identity. This is why, from an American perspective, we’re so quick to impute “racial stereotype” to any general discussion of “stereotype”. Perhaps that is also… a stereotype?

Europeans are by and large of the same race, and that’s true even with the often-trumpeted tensions with immigration to Europe from the Middle East. Discussion about stereotype in Europe tends to be more about southern vs. northern, Protestant vs. Catholic and so forth.

In my own travels, I find that stereotypes are a useful heuristic for making snap-judgments when no actual data is available. But I also realize that they’re merely snap judgments, and never replace genuine analysis. I find that most people, of most ages and in most societies, are remarkably alike – an observation contrary to stereotype. For instance, everyone values financial security, but how that manifests itself is different. Some people resent higher taxes or mandatory health insurance. Others resent decline of defined-benefit pensions. Some believe that the younger generation should take care of the older, while others think that children should leave the parental household at age 18, with no further ties. The common denominator is everyone wishes to maximize his/her personal financial security and minimize his/her incalculable risks.

A famous example comes from Herodotus, in his seminal work, The Histories. The Greeks and another people (I can’t recall who… somebody from central Asia) have a dispute over what to do with their dead. The Greeks insist on cremating the corpses, while the other people want to eat them. The Greeks are appalled that corpses could be eaten – such desecration! But to the other faction, burning a corpse is the height of immorality. Well, it turns out that both peoples are keen on honoring their dead. The difference is merely in the definition of ritual. However different the ritual, underneath the premise is very similar.

In sum, from my own travels, I find that everywhere that I go, underneath the premise is very similar.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
My company deals with universities and we have offices all of the US and offices in Europe many of our sales guys go internationally as well as all over the USA. I think it is very likely to have traveled this extensively. When we role out a brand new product for a school many of our IT guys work with the local DBA during deployment and they are usually on site so it is possible to have traveled this much in 10 yrs. Most of our sales and IT guys have an office at our corporate head quarters but they are seldom there
Ask them how many states they have visited and then get back to me. The OP claims to be a trainer but on another post claims to work in an office where his coworkers sit across each other and never talk. Sorry not buying it, that sounds more like call center operators than a group of trainers. Training requires a lot of interaction because material needs to be understood and presentations need to be cordinated. A big company with presence in many states will still divide their trainers by regions for logistical reasons. Anyway no way a corporation has large workforce in all 50 states, not even 30. Most companies fly their managers to their headquarters because it is less time consuming than flying a trainer to train 1 or 2 managers.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:14 PM

111 posts, read 660,030 times
What is the difference between a stereotype and market research? I go to market research focus groups where they bring in people who fit a certain demographic: age, race, income, education, etc., and try to understand how we think based on how we respond to their questions. Political polls do the same but they get away with it because they don't call it stereotyping, but in reality market research and polling is the same as stereotyping.

Quote:
Ask them how many states they have visited and then get back to me. The OP claims to be a trainer but on another post claims to work in an office where his coworkers sit across each other and never talk. Sorry not buying it, that sounds more like call center operators than a group of trainers. Training requires a lot of interaction because material needs to be understood and presentations need to be cordinated. A big company with presence in many states will still divide their trainers by regions for logistical reasons. Anyway no way a corporation has large workforce in all 50 states, not even 30. Most companies fly their managers to their headquarters because it is less time consuming than flying a trainer to train 1 or 2 managers.
I am a trainer who works in an office when not on the road training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies