Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 05:32 AM

156 posts, read 116,472 times

Advertisements

Yes I've noticed as I got older that stereotypes nine times out of ten reveal themselves to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 06:48 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,441,060 times
as you get older you start getting lazy and let Confirmation Bias rule your view of people and the world.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,430,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
as you get older you start getting lazy and let Confirmation Bias rule your view of people and the world.
You are guilty of stereotyping Chris but you will never admit it.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:41 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,100,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Sugah Ray[/b];29925062]I'm not gonna argue the same thing over and over like a broken record when I have already quoted the original OP with the words in bold.

Regarding the rest of your post, I don't think I ever discussed my race or anybody's race in this thread and I am not gonna take the thread there. My race, gender, sexual orientation, social class, religion, ethnicity or nationality don't define me, they are neither a source of pride or embarrassment.
So, in reality, you are a sixty year-old white, upper middle-class Republican who accidentally chose an alias that evokes a completely different impression?

OK, I think I've got it.

Anybody got a dictionary? I want to look up "irony"...

Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Stereotypes exist for a reason. The mental processing that we'd have to do to size up each person every time we met someone new would be impossible so we have a general idea of what, for example, it means to be female. We look at a woman and she, immediately, goes into that category. We have multiple categories for "women". Young women, old women, teens, middle aged women.....and then more sub categories for things like dress, mannerism (A woman who is well dressed and speaks politely goes into a different category than a woman dressed in a trashy leather outfit who is dropping f bombs right and left....). We have a preconceived idea of what each of them are and most of the time we're right. The categories exist because most of the time we're right. In fact, they're right so often that we're shocked when a woman doesn't fit neatly into her category.

This, BTW, is how the carnival fortune teller can be right so often. We like to think that we're unique but the truth is, we're a lot more like our neighbors than we'd care to admit.

As I've gotten older, I've found that my categories have changed but they're still there. For example, my category of "old woman" has changed a lot. When I was young I had a lot of wrong ideas in this one.
True. Even Jesse Jackson acknowledged that he uses stereotypes.

If it's late evening and you're in a big city and you see a group of young males dressed like gang members, you're going to probably react differently then if you saw a group of men and women dressed in business suits.

The only thing wrong with stereotypes is making them too broad and based only on skin color or other physical attributes and failing to consider the individual.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,003,501 times
I work in a diverse, cosmopolitan city and see "negative stereotypes" come to life before me every day. Anecdotal evidence will always take precedence over political correctness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
African American Women who come from low income areas are likely to speak louder and are more aggressive in their interactions than white people who grew up in a similar economic environment
That 9-1-1 operator who called blacks loud as animals; she wasn't being racist per se, it's that she works with the most desperate, lowest classes of society and sees the worst stereotypes come to life before her eyes every day.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,003,501 times
I work in a diverse, cosmopolitan city and see "negative stereotypes" come to life before me every day. Anecdotal evidence will always take precedence over political correctness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
African American Women who come from low income areas are likely to speak louder and are more aggressive in their interactions than white people who grew up in a similar economic environment
That 9-1-1 operator who complained that blacks were like animals; she wasn't being racist per se, it's that she works with the most desperate, lowest classes of society and sees the worst stereotypes come to life before her eyes every day.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,534,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

That 9-1-1 operator who called blacks loud as animals; she wasn't being racist per se, it's that she works with the most desperate, lowest classes of society and sees the worst stereotypes come to life before her eyes every day.
oh I don't know. did you see how the first lady responded to the lesbian heckler?

Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,509,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You get wiser with age unless you're a liberal and then you keep a child-like mentality your entire life or until you grow up and accept basic realities.

In reality you discriminate every day on probably 10 - 100 different things. It's called making decision and you make those decisions based on your own self interest. Liberals call that selfish even though they'll be the first to grab their toys and go home because they got picked last.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,430,368 times
Everyone wants the same thing it's just how much effort they are willing to make to achieve what they want, that's where the differences are.

Which group believes "big Government" is their friend.

How many people could have been helped on the money the IRS spent on trips and dance lessons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies