Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 PM

62,962 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Many Americans are worried about the increase of Hispanic immigration and Spanish language in the United States...

Guess what! Same thing was happening with the Germans and German language. Americans were in fear over German being an official language or replaces by English but after a generation it died out. Spanish will die out as well. Many Hispanic kids do not speak Spanish fluent, and use English more.

Keep in mind that only 12% of the U.S. population have knowledge of Spanish.
I think you are wrong. With continued illegal immigration from south of our border and Hispanics in general being adamant about speaking Spanish in this country I can see the handwriting on the wall. They are being pandered to in Spanish like no other group before them has also. The difference with the early Europeans that came here is that they came from several different countries where different languages were spoken. English was adopted as our national de facto language though so German died out. Two entirely different scenarios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM

472 posts, read 570,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think you are wrong. With continued illegal immigration from south of our border and Hispanics in general being adamant about speaking Spanish in this country I can see the handwriting on the wall. They are being pandered to in Spanish like no other group before them has also. The difference with the early Europeans that came here is that they came from several different countries where different languages were spoken. English was adopted as our national de facto language though so German died out. Two entirely different scenarios.
Another difference is that Spanish has been here for centuries. That's not being "pandered to". They are not taking over. They have been here a long time! Don't be so afraid!

Old 06-07-2013, 10:24 PM

62,962 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
Another difference is that Spanish has been here for centuries. That's not being "pandered to". They are not taking over. They have been here a long time! Don't be so afraid!
It doesn't matter. English is our adopted language. Afraid? No, it is an objection to us turning into another Spanish speaking nation especially via illegal immigration. They're not being pandered to? Spanish isn't the only foreign language that has been around for centuries but it is only Spanish speakers being catered to every where in this country.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Not in Miami!
Lol, this. Miami has become a little South America of sorts. Not just a neighborhood, THE ENTIRE COUNTY!

...And it's spreading north...

Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
You should learn to be more reserved in your opinion when you don't know what you're talking about.
You yourself are saying the same thing -- that the immigrants and their descendents are never going to stop speaking Spanish or going to learn English.

Only you bring up those who were here 200 years ago as if it's they who have refused to ever learn English -- and you're wrong. It's not those people who never learned English. This has absolutely nothing to do with those Spanish-Americans who were living here before the SW joined the USA -- they speak English just fine, it's the very massive, non-stop flood of people coming over the border who aren't assimilating.

Also I live in the SW. I definitely know what I'm talking about. I have neighbors who have lived here 40 years and more, and they never made any effort to learn English.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Many Americans are worried about the increase of Hispanic immigration and Spanish language in the United States...

Guess what! Same thing was happening with the Germans and German language. Americans were in fear over German being an official language or replaces by English but after a generation it died out.
With one big difference. The U.S never shared a border with an entire German speaking continent.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You yourself are saying the same thing -- that the immigrants and their descendents are never going to stop speaking Spanish or going to learn English.

Only you bring up those who were here 200 years ago as if it's they who have refused to ever learn English -- and you're wrong. It's not those people who never learned English. This has absolutely nothing to do with those Spanish-Americans who were living here before the SW joined the USA -- they speak English just fine, it's the very massive, non-stop flood of people coming over the border who aren't assimilating.

Also I live in the SW. I definitely know what I'm talking about. I have neighbors who have lived here 40 years and more, and they never made any effort to learn English.
What? There are plenty of immigrants from spanish-speaking who know English, at least in Miami, and at least the younger part of the population.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:26 AM

884 posts, read 716,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
With one big difference. The U.S never shared a border with an entire German speaking continent.
And the Germans weren't afraid to work, and they actually took care of their own kids. Somethng to see I tell ya. Now that I think about most of those I have met from the Phillipnes, China, and I have met and percepted some very nice ladies for S. Korea.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:30 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Here is Texas by 2020 Mexicans will be the majority by a decent amount this is just a troll BS thread op is just a republican who hates Mexicans

Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh that has been stated plenty times before, but it doesn't fit in with the far right's fear based news spin.
Well the far "right fear based news spin" doesn't care what color you are. Twenty million new arrivals in a job market that is tight is not good news unless your a liberal communist piece of dirt who likes to see folks suffer like you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies