Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ain't happening. You are now on the 2nd or 3rd generation of FF and microwave meals.

Home Ec..I did take that. Learned to cook, sew and create a household budget.
Those are not items we strive to teach in schools today.
I took it too, but as an elective. It's a shame, I think home economics is more important and practical than the physical education class, which was mandatory in my school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
A valedictorian these days can use a calculator and a microwave.
yep, back when i graduated high school, the valedictorian could cook a proper meal and use a slide rule, and possibly an abacus.

part of the problem is that we have lost the ability to manage time, the other part of the problem is all the technology we have at our fingertips these days. a microwave is much faster than a stove, a computer is faster than writing, or doing math on paper or in your head. in the old days we walked to school and back, these days kids ride the bus or mom and dad take them. in the old days we had a requirement of one hour per day of phys ed, today it is optional. in the old days we learned how to use the tools that were used in the work place, slide rules, hammers, block planes, sewing needles, buffing wheels, etc. today nearly everything is done on computer in many schools. in the old days we didnt have the internet to look things up, we had to go to the library, often times more than a mile from home. in the old days we didnt have video games, so we went outside to play, sometimes to the local park. and again since there was no internet, we played baseball, basketball, football, etc. instead of world of warcraft, or aces high, or what ever other internet role playing game is going around now. in the old days we didnt have email, texting, cell phones, etc., so if we wanted to talk to our friends we either had to pick up the phone, which the parents usually restricted, or we went over to our friends house.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:04 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
With all this controversy about obesity and health care, I wonder if the problems can be solved by something many people did, before the rise of the pre-cooked meal. People talk about no time and money, but as recently as two generations ago, people knew how to cook, both rich and poor. My grandparents were both kids of immigrants and they were pretty poor when they were young and just starting out. They cooked healthy, they didn't have heart problems, they weren't out of breath after taking a walk. Photos of their family and friends are a lot different than what you see outside today.
My immigrant family wouldn't have been able to afford take away etc plus the options weren't there. Shops weren't open late.
Vegetables were grown, pasta home made, chickens were out the back...Meat was eaten once a week.

I'm glad I was taught how to cook. What I learnt at school in home ec was average food. At home, I learnt from the best, my mum & grandmothers. I've never had frozen meals in the house.

Parents, gotta teach your kids how to cook.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
If Americans don't like to cook, why are TV cooking shows so popular? Because they like to WATCH people cook.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Investing in a slow cooker and a rice cooker can be a big time-saver for busy parents who don't have a lot of time to prepare meals but want a quick home cooked meal for the family.

They should also look into stir frying. I see a lot of pre-prepared cuts of meat and vegetables at the grocery store- just dump it all in the stir fryer and you have a healthy dinner in less than a half hour.

Prioritizing is a problem for many. Sadly, too many people today are addicted to the instant gratification of fast food.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:18 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Weren't home economics classes mandatory at one time? We need to get *those* back in high schools with a supplement of personal finance.
I took Home Ec in school (yes, required). They didn't teach me anything I didn't already know; the other kids in my group asked me questions, lol. Let's see, what did we do? We made cookies, I remember that. With a short class period, there was no real cooking. There was no learning to shop or budget, either.

People need to remember that all Home Ec classes are not created equal. Now, if there were standards, that might help.

I cook from scratch most of the time. Since I got my (manual) wheelchair, I can now go shopping much easier. Though I could use the motorized carts, they are frequently not available or not charged, so DH goes with me and pushes the regular cart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies