Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I work in social services and have for many years. In my state (which is pretty typical of the other 49 in this regard) the average SNAP (food stamp) benefit equates to $1.41 per meal per family member.

Woot! Livin' laaaarge.
Not Oregon.
You should go work for a grocery store. We'll see if you sing the same tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What a great and noble idea,...starve the child for the sins of the mother. It's really disgusting that those on the right never mention the taboo subject of corporte welafare. The words that may NEVER be uttered. CORPORATE WELFARE!!!!!!
I don't support Corporate welfare but this thread isn't about that. If the mother can't afford more kids, then maybe she should keep her legs shut.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
I don't know... This seems like it could lead to Eugenics. I'm against welfare abuse and want it to become strictly short term only (with the obvious exception of the severally crippled and mentally disabled), but I don't think limiting the number of children is right.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:45 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Not Oregon.
You should go work for a grocery store. We'll see if you sing the same tune.
I'm in Oklahoma now. Ironically, I lived in Oregon the past four years before returning here last xmas.

The difference in SNAP benefits between the two states is negligible, and has been for the past 5 years at least.

Currently, in Oklahoma it is $128.36. In Oregon it is actually a few cents less: $128.15. This is the average monthly benefit per person as of this month and year.

Now, I hear people griping a lot about how people on SNAP get to live it up and eat like royalty, buying premium steaks and lobster, etc. with their food stamps. I realize some people do splurge like this.

But if they do, they will shoot their wad with their first shopping trip of the month after getting their benefits and then go three weeks trying to scrounge for meals.

Some people are reckless like that though.

(As a side note, the places with the highest monthly average SNAP benefits are Hawaii and Guam, at approximately $215 per person per month.

The lowest are Minnesota and Wisconsin, at roughly $115.

The average nationwide is $133.41 per person per month.)

Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I don't know... This seems like it could lead to Eugenics. I'm against welfare abuse and want it to become strictly short term only (with the obvious exception of the severally crippled and mentally disabled), but I don't think limiting the number of children is right.
You don't limit the amount of children, you separate subsidies from quantity of children. When people are no longer paid more for having more children they will stop having as many children.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:53 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Single mothers that can't pay the bills must have welfare cut after the first birth, any more kids then no extra cash - and if they can't pay then the kids must be put into an orphanage

I think that is the way to go, right?
No. But I would love to watch a Republican politician commit career suicide by endorsing such a thing.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I'm in Oklahoma now. Ironically, I lived in Oregon the past four years before returning here last xmas.

The difference in SNAP benefits between the two states is negligible, and has been for the past 5 years at least.

Currently, in Oklahoma it is $128.36. In Oregon it is actually a few cents less: $128.15. This is the average monthly benefit per person as of this month and year.

Now, I hear people griping a lot about how people on SNAP get to live it up and eat like royalty, buying premium steaks and lobster, etc. with their food stamps. I realize some people do splurge like this.

But if they do, they will shoot their wad with their first shopping trip of the month after getting their benefits and then go three weeks trying to scrounge for meals.

Some people are reckless like that though.

(As a side note, the places with the highest monthly average SNAP benefits are Hawaii and Guam, at approximately $215 per person per month.

The lowest are Minnesota and Wisconsin, at roughly $115.

The average nationwide is $133.41 per person per month.)
Maybe for most people. I can promise you, I saw many people with A LOT more than that. The average I saw was probably around $300. The most I seen was $2063.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Maybe for most people. I can promise you, I saw many people with A LOT more than that. The average I saw was probably around $300. The most I seen was $2063.
Yes. That is typically for families with many children. The average payout per person per month is still the same however.

I don't get how a person/family can receive $2K+ though. I'm not saying you are wrong or are lying, but that must be one huuuuge family!

There are times, however, when a family's benefits may get held up for a few months due to some kind of error and they are paid one lump sum in one month to make up for it--to make up for the lost back months when they got nothing. I've seen that happen on occasion.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:18 AM

I can find out exactly, but IIRC she has like 6 kids. And I think 1 or 2 were foster kids. Can't remember exactly though.

I have pictures on my phone which I took for DHHS. A young couple in their 20s, she was dressed really nice. Nice new purse. He had Jordan's (shoes) and addidas shorts and I think some basketball shirt. Spent over $600 in F/S and had a "Ending Balance" of $300+. TWO carts FULL. They go to their car, a Lincoln Towncar I think, bigass chrome rims. Pop the trunk, full sound system. They put a couple things in but everything had to pretty much go on the backseat.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I can find out exactly, but IIRC she has like 6 kids. And I think 1 or 2 were foster kids. Can't remember exactly though.

I have pictures on my phone which I took for DHHS. A young couple in their 20s, she was dressed really nice. Nice new purse. He had Jordan's (shoes) and addidas shorts and I think some basketball shirt. Spent over $600 in F/S and had a "Ending Balance" of $300+. TWO carts FULL. They go to their car, a Lincoln Towncar I think, bigass chrome rims. Pop the trunk, full sound system. They put a couple things in but everything had to pretty much go on the backseat.
Yeah, as I say, there are people who get benefits who could likely get by without them, and that's a shame.

Just by way of information dissemination, when determining eligibility for benefits, only the gross income is considered, and while housing and utility expenses are factored in, things like car payments are not.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was receiving SNAP but also had a super flashy blinged out car or a fancy wardrobe or expensive cable or cell phone plans, etc.

In your example above, I have to wonder if they might have had a revenue stream they didn't have to report (something illegal perhaps) or maybe they got some huge payout or inheritance or something. Makes you wonder.

I can tell you we have very solid ways of ascertaining whether or not a person is working currently, where they are working, and what they are paid and earn monthly and quarterly. We can also investigate amounts of $ held in bank accounts. Things such as tax returns aren't counted, mainly because we calculate by gross income. It could well be that the couple you mentioned above are hardworking people who don't earn much but they went nuts with a big tax return or something. It could be they overextended themselves and will see that car repossessed. Hard to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies