Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I wish SCOTUS would have simply made a sweeping ruling legalizing gay marriage in all 50 states. Gays could have their equality and we as a nation would move on. That, however, wouldn't be in the far left's best interest. Many of Obama's supporters, especially younger people, supported him primarily because of same sex marriage. Without that issue, the far left would lose significant support because people would be free to vote on other issues.
What you wish and what is Constitutional are fortunately two different things.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
I think the Supreme Court did the right thing by doing what I wanted them to do.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Another nail in the Clinton legacy-coffin.

What's amazing is how the media is not playing this up as a blow to the Clinton Administration. He's the one who signed this into law...the Obama administratioin is unequivically on record as saying that they were against gay marriage...this appears to be an internal struggle within the DEM party, yet for some odd reason they aren't reporting it that way.

Not to mention today Bill Clinton pardon and Eric Holder advisor, Marc Rich died today...

Seems like the Dems lost twice in one day

Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
What's amazing is how the media is not playing this up as a blow to the Clinton Administration. He's the one who signed this into law...the Obama administratioin is unequivically on record as saying that they were against gay marriage...this appears to be an internal struggle within the DEM party, yet for some odd reason they aren't reporting it that way.

Not to mention today Bill Clinton pardon and Eric Holder advisor, Marc Rich died today...

Dem supporters knew Clinton (and don't forget the Dems that voted for DOMA it didn't come true due to just Clinton) didn't mean it when he signed the law so they aren't holding it against him. You don't do that for laws that are meant to shunt a more evil alternative even if you have to sacrifice the Constitution.

Next place your bet:

Since some have predicted the natural path from here is the legalization of animal and child perversions (I can't even type their names) when will those laws be enacted?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Dem supporters knew Clinton (and don't forget the Dems that voted for DOMA it didn't come true due to just Clinton) didn't mean it when he signed the law so they aren't holding it against him. You don't do that for laws that are meant to shunt a more evil alternative even if you have to sacrifice the Constitution.

Next place your bet:

Since some have predicted the natural path from here is the legalization of animal and child perversions (I can't even type their names) when will those laws be enacted?
It's unbelievable. There's absolutely no accountability held to the DEM party on this.

The NYTs, CNN, ABC, NBC etc should all have flashing cameras and pads in Clinton's face wanting to know how he feels about his law being overturned.

I'd also like to know his response to the death of Marc Rich....the biggest tax cheat in US history, supported by both he and now AG Holder having died today. Will they be at his funeral? These questions are what should be asked...instead it is being avoided at all possible costs.

This should all be national news and inquiry.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
It's unbelievable. There's absolutely no accountability held to the DEM party on this.

The NYTs, CNN, ABC, NBC etc should all have flashing cameras and pads in Clinton's face wanting to know how he feels about his law being overturned.

I'd also like to know his response to the death of Marc Rich....the biggest tax cheat in US history, supported by both he and now AG Holder having died today? Will they be at his funeral?

The press already knows the answer: "Don't Ask Don't Tell".

Old 06-26-2013, 12:09 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:

Not "odd". Corrupt.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 PM

125 posts, read 159,150 times
Many states allow cousins to marry. The feds have always recognized those marriages in jurisdictions where they are legal. I see no reason why this precedent cannot apply to same-sex marriages. Congress and President Clinton enacted DOMA because it was politically popular at the time, but they overstepped their bounds. State governments determine family law, and the feds should not intervene.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with civil unions and domestic partnerships. While federal law does not in any way mention these relationships, I believe there are civil union states where state law specifically defines these parties as "spouses." I imagine the federal government COULD have the regulatory authority to count these couples as "married" on those grounds.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Why? What about that is newsworthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim
I'd also like to know his response to the death of Marc Rich....the biggest tax cheat in US history, supported by both he and now AG Holder having died today. Will they be at his funeral? These questions are what should be asked...instead it is being avoided at all possible costs.
Why? How is that newsworthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim
Why? What conceivable purpose would it serve?

On the other hand... this is what real news looks like:

• Egypt: Army to suspend constitution, legislature
  • Town grieves Ariz. Hotshots; storms threaten fire
  • Fugitive Snowden's options narrow as asylum requests spurned
  • Bomb blasts in Iraq kill at least 43 people
See how that works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies