Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What for? We are an English speaking country and we are told that Hispanics are assimilating in our country by knowing English. At any rate, it isn't up to the majority to learn the language of minorities. It's should be the other way around.
I was checking on a job position and was told to learn Spanish and this would help with getting the job and advancing. The town I live in is mostly white with mostly white tourist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 11:35 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
tell the 2rd world to keep their legs shut, that and quit using the welfare system to promote the less capable of those who can care for them selves to breed in large numbers.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:21 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Teach them the language of the invaders rather than expect those coming into OUR country (not theirs) in violation of OUR LAWS to assimilate? Good plan! Would you also recommend that women being raped simply give in so as to not anger their attackers?
Congratulations on posting one of the more offensive comments of the day. I wonder if you even realize why.

Quote:
I was considering moving my daughter from one private school to another. The fact that the new school only offers Spanish as a foreign language was the deciding factor not to. She'll continue learning French at her present school.
Wow, doubling-down on the offense. I'm sure your mother would be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
there is NO OVERPOPULATION. It is a myth.
There is overpopulation. It isn't a myth. It's simply not a major concern in our country, at this time, but that doesn't mean that the overall overpopulation of the planet, especially in the context of how population is increasing exponentially, is not something we'll escape unaffected by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There is a humane way, its called parents bearing the full financial burden of having and raising them.
Punishing the children for the incapacities or inadequacies of their parents is anything but humane.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:14 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
We've had the best crop growing weather since 1940 that the world has seen since the Middle Ages.

It won't last forever.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I was checking on a job position and was told to learn Spanish and this would help with getting the job and advancing. The town I live in is mostly white with mostly white tourist!
Much like having a MBA doesn't show you know how to run a business, it shows your capable of learning to. Learning a second language shows youre a multifaceted, intelligent person and companies would rather hire you, over someone who decided it was unnecessary to learn a second language in high school. Thats something 80% of us do anyway.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:00 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Much like having a MBA doesn't show you know how to run a business, it shows your capable of learning to. Learning a second language shows youre a multifaceted, intelligent person and companies would rather hire you, over someone who decided it was unnecessary to learn a second language in high school. Thats something 80% of us do anyway.
I hardly know of any jobs that in theory would require a foreign language. The only ones that do are the ones who want to pander to illegal alien Spanish speakers for a buck. It is only Spanish that is being pushed in this country. There are a lot more things that one could learn that would be more helpful in a career than a second language in this country. Learning another language is not the only sign of being an intelligent person. Please proved a link that 80% of American native English speakers learn another language.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Teach them the language of the invaders rather than expect those coming into OUR country (not theirs) in violation of OUR LAWS to assimilate? Good plan! Would you also recommend that women being raped simply give in so as to not anger their attackers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Congratulations on posting one of the more offensive comments of the day. I wonder if you even realize why.
Enlighten me. Did you find the term "invaders" offensive? Or calling out that they ARE violating our laws by entering our country illegally? I find your apparent belief that we should accommodate another culture (language, customs, whatever) over our own extremely offensive.

Quote:
I was considering moving my daughter from one private school to another. The fact that the new school only offers Spanish as a foreign language was the deciding factor not to. She'll continue learning French at her present school.
Quote:
Wow, doubling-down on the offense. I'm sure your mother would be proud.
Again, what is offensive here? My culture, my child, my values, my choice. BTW, at age 7 English is her first language (naturally), she's fluent in Russian (her mother's tongue) and just about conversational in French. She's also picked up a smattering of Dutch phrases. Yeah, Grandma is kinda proud of her!

Quote:
Punishing the children for the incapacities or inadequacies of their parents is anything but humane.
The children are 100% the parent's responsibilities, not the responsibility IN ANY WAY of the foreign state the parents introduced them to in VIOLATION of the law. Who brought the children into such circumstances? As a taxpayer of that state, I object to any notion that they are ours in feed, clothe, educate or provide medical care for. I recommend you save your compassion for those who truly deserve it.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:21 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Enlighten me. Did you find the term "invaders" offensive? Or calling out that they ARE violating our laws by entering our country illegally? I find your apparent belief that we should accommodate another culture (language, customs, whatever) over our own extremely offensive.

Again, what is offensive here? My culture, my child, my values, my choice. BTW, at age 7 English is her first language (naturally), she's fluent in Russian (her mother's tongue) and just about conversational in French. She's also picked up a smattering of Dutch phrases. Yeah, Grandma is kinda proud of her!

The children are 100% the parent's responsibilities, not the responsibility IN ANY WAY of the foreign state the parents introduced them to in VIOLATION of the law. Who brought the children into such circumstances? As a taxpayer of that state, I object to any notion that they are ours in feed, clothe, educate or provide medical care for. I recommend you save your compassion for those who truly deserve it.
Excellent and truthful post.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I disagree, alot of third world countries like Thailand and Iran have stabilized their fertility rates through:

1. Family planning programs
2. Installing a social safety net so people don't have to have a large family in order to not to starve when they're old.
3. Raising living standards to the point where people can afford birth control.
4. Empowering women and giving them control over their bodies and destinies, including through education.
5. Urbanization, as this lifestyle makes smaller families more desirable economically then rural agricultural ones do.

If this continues to progress across the globe and we fight for it, I believe we can stabilize or even shrink the population. Maybe we're just not working hard enough to achieve these goals now that the low hanging fruit has been picked. It's a huge challenge, but this is the ethical way to reduce population growth and avoid the stuff you say. BTW, if we develop technologically to the point where we have the energy and resources to ship off millions of excess population to outer space we'll definitely have the energy and resources to achieve these things, which is the easy way. It's just not going to be happening where we benefit from it in our lifetimes, but we can slow the growth and once our generation begins to die we may see a slight and longterm decline beginning. This graph gives me hope.

If we get a global fertility rate of 2 children per woman, longterm we'll stabilize, although short term growth will continue because of inertia, with a bigger younger generation than older generation dying off. China has the one child policy and a sub replacement fertility rate but is still growing because of this inertia, but it cannot last forever and growth will eventually reverse.

This seems more like a great debate then a politics and other controversies topic TBH.
You do realize that the fertility rate can be falling while the population continues to climb, right? We have to have a fertility rate below replacement in order for the population to fall. That les fewer than 2 children per woman and even then, you won't see the fall for 3 or 4 generations.

My mom had six kids. Her decision to have six kids will echo through the next three generations before it stabilizes. She didn't just have 3 times the kids she needed for replacement, if all of her kids stick to having only 2 children, she'll have 3 times the grand children and 3 times the great grand children. There will be three generations of growth before stabilization occurs if all subsequent generations breed only for replacement.

If we assume 4 living generations with the 1st generation dying off as the 4th are born. Let's look at two scenarios. My mom had two kids and her kids all have two kids and so on. She then has 2 kids, 4 grand children and 8 great grandchildren. Those 8 great grandchildren have 8 great grand parents who are dying as they are born. Scenario 2. My mom had six kids, she has 12 grand children and 24 great grandchildren. Those 24 great grandchildren have only 8 great grandparents dying as they are born. My mom added 4 extra children, 8 extra grand children and 16 extra great grand children even though the fertility rate fell from 6 in her generation to 2 in her grand children's generation. That's a sizable increase.

Even if we go to replacement now, our population will continue to grow for two more generations just because of larger families in the past.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Enlighten me. Did you find the term "invaders" offensive? Or calling out that they ARE violating our laws by entering our country illegally?
No. I actually agree, if not in extent at least in direction, with your comments in that regard. I doubt you'll happily acknowledge the offense you expressed, marginalizing the impact of physical rape as you did, and so I don't see much point in derailing the thread highlighting it further.

Quote:
I find your apparent belief that we should accommodate another culture (language, customs, whatever) over our own extremely offensive.
I find your insistence on assuming things about what I've said that are not only not what I've said but counter to my perspectives extremely offensive.

Quote:
Again, what is offensive here? My culture, my child, my values, my choice.
I can understand objecting to having to learn French (yes, I meant to type "French", meaning French or Spanish, as you already outlined) to make it in the United States. However, making the distinction between French and Spanish that you made - not as a simple choice for your child's future but as an implicit disparagement of Spanish, the only logical explanation for making the point you made in the context of this specific thread - is offensive.

Quote:
The children are 100% the parent's responsibilities, not the responsibility IN ANY WAY of the foreign state the parents introduced them to in VIOLATION of the law.
The children I'm talking about are American citizens, whether we like it or not. That makes it partially our responsibility, whether you like it or not.

Quote:
I recommend you save your compassion for those who truly deserve it.
I recommend you reevaluate the proprietary restrictions you've chosen to impose on who you "save your compassion for".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies