Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
the feeling of 'self-worth' comes from the earning of money, putting bacon on the table - not by doing a non job for no reward.

So it's really quite revealing how you cons are so quick to abrogate the key tenet of your dogma here.

No incentive = no work - lol!

So tell me, if one gains self-worth by working for free, then why don't we introduce a 90% income tax for the rich?
How are they working for "free" if they are receiving benefits? See, you would rather have people do nothing, and still receive benefits. This creates a dependency on government, which in turn can be manipulated in different ways, such as the way they vote,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Plenty of countries do this, ie: if you are on welfare then you must work for a company for 'free' , IOW - you must earn your benefit/welfare.

Is this just exploitation of the poor?

I think it is.

Discuss.
It isn't. They should be working for the public good..perhaps cleaning parks, mowing grass in public areas, etc.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:56 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It isn't. They should be working for the public good..perhaps cleaning parks, mowing grass in public areas, etc.
no, let's pay'em to sit on he couch all day. This is obviously the preferred option of the OP.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Taxpayers work for free --- I am seeing the government rob me of a whole lot of my wages.

At least FDR created work programs, it wasn't like today where the lazy expect to have a complete free ride.
Blame Washington for that. Republicans don't want public work projects while Democrats knocked Obama's American Jobs Act for the whole tax cut issue.

Personally I think we should try to enact these programs to give people a chance to work. I am sure people will take these jobs to get paid that cannot receive unemployment benefits. The issue is, will Washington push it through?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:15 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
How exactly are you working for "free" if you are receiving welfare????? If you are asking if people should have to earn what they get instead of just being able to get a government handout while they sit on the couch eating donuts and watching Jerry Springer re-runs everyday, then yes, they should. I'd have'em along the roadways picking up garbage, painting over graffiti, or whatever, until they found a job and got off the government dime.

public community work is one thing, and fair enough, but my gripe is when these people get sent to PRIVATE companies as free labor.

That is not right.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:17 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Well if they work for welfare then someone who works for a paycheck is going to be out of a job. Probably the people cleaning parks and mowing public grass....you know, maintenance workers who know what the hell they are doing with power equipment and whatnot. If I were on welfare I suppose I could pick up litter, but there isn't much at the parks around here and believe me you don't want me on a riding mower.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,569 times
well said, I agree - every 'free' worker is a regular guy out of a job - where's the benefit here?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:48 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Absolutely not, no way, not on your life. I would like to see all welfare people who are able, work, doing something, if it is only dusting parking meters. If gives them a feeling of self worth. I don't think anyone would suggest they work for a company, unless you are considering the government a company. Which it is in a sense.
I would like to see them work somewhere around 16 hours a week, cleaning the streets and parks of litter would be a nice start.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:56 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I saw on "60 Minutes" a few years ago a program that the state of Wisconsin had where women who were collecting welfare and who had suitable homes take in a foster child in exchange for receiving welfare.

The homes were checked out by the state before placing a child in it.

That was a smart idea, not only did it help out the state budget it showed that these women seemed to have improved self esteem, in that they were helping out a child in need and felt better about earning the money they were receiving.
Not a bad idea, but with some of the women I have seen on welfare, this would not work large scale.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Is making welfare people work for 'free', a form of exploitation?

Making employed people pay for habitual welfare people is exploitation. Note I said habitual, I'm not against giving temporary help to those in need.

Last edited by elan; 06-23-2013 at 05:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies