Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times

Advertisements

NFL’s Help Sought On Promoting Obamacare Insurance Plans

Top federal health officials are in talks with the National Football League to promote the health law’s insurance marketplaces that begin enrolling people Oct 1.

Sebelius said the administration is also talking to other major sports franchises about improving public awareness of the Obamacare online insurance exchanges, which are a critical way the federal health law expands insurance coverage.

The administration is aiming to sign up about 7 million people through the marketplaces before the open enrollment period ends March 31. The coverage takes effect Jan. 1. Most people shopping in the marketplaces will be eligible for federal subsidies that vary based on their income.

The administration needs to find millions of young and healthy people to help balance out its insurance risk pool to make up for the older and sicker people who are expected to sign up. In 2014, insurers will no longer be able to turn people away or charge higher rates to people with pre-existing health conditions.

The NFL had no comment on Monday. Politico last week reported the administration was in talks with the NBA to help promote Obamacare.

The NFL would be stupid to do this. What they do well is play football and give charity. That's what people like. If they go into the political, I think it would hurt the bottom line.

However, the government does have some leverage on the NFL. The NFL is a tax-exempt organization.

The underlined portion above - insurance risk pool? I was under the impression that there is no risk here. Everyone's covered. That's it. What's this about a risk pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
NFL’s Help Sought On Promoting Obamacare Insurance Plans

Top federal health officials are in talks with the National Football League to promote the health law’s insurance marketplaces that begin enrolling people Oct 1.

Sebelius said the administration is also talking to other major sports franchises about improving public awareness of the Obamacare online insurance exchanges, which are a critical way the federal health law expands insurance coverage.

The administration is aiming to sign up about 7 million people through the marketplaces before the open enrollment period ends March 31. The coverage takes effect Jan. 1. Most people shopping in the marketplaces will be eligible for federal subsidies that vary based on their income.

The administration needs to find millions of young and healthy people to help balance out its insurance risk pool to make up for the older and sicker people who are expected to sign up. In 2014, insurers will no longer be able to turn people away or charge higher rates to people with pre-existing health conditions.

The NFL had no comment on Monday. Politico last week reported the administration was in talks with the NBA to help promote Obamacare.

The NFL would be stupid to do this. What they do well is play football and give charity. That's what people like. If they go into the political, I think it would hurt the bottom line.

However, the government does have some leverage on the NFL. The NFL is a tax-exempt organization.

The underlined portion above - insurance risk pool? I was under the impression that there is no risk here. Everyone's covered. That's it. What's this about a risk pool?
Not the topic of this thread but -The fact that professional sports leagues are tax exempt is hard to handle. Not only do I support most of those leagues via TV merchandise and tickets but I have to carry the billionaires' tax burden?

What a disgrace. We need MAJOR TAX REFORM NOW.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Not the topic of this thread but -The fact that professional sports leagues are tax exempt is hard to handle. Not only do I support most of those leagues via TV merchandise and tickets but I have to carry the billionaires' tax burden?

What a disgrace. We need MAJOR TAX REFORM NOW.
You will like this - even the fines that the players pay for misconduct can be exempted from taxes.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 AM

I thought everyone like Obamacare - or at least the overwhelming majority. Why would we need to get sports stars and celebrities to advertise this?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
You will like this - even the fines that the players pay for misconduct can be exempted from taxes.
And I am a big sports fan. It is fun and entertaining.
But this is really a terrible occurrance.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:41 PM

NFL Rejects Obama Admin: We Won't Promote Obamacare

From the NFL...

We have responded to the letters we received from members of Congress to inform them we currently have no plans to engage in this area and have had no substantive contact with the administration about PPACA’s implementation.

So there was an attempt from the government for the NFL to do this.

The NFL made the right choice. They should stick to what makes them popular.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:46 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times
Quote:
NFL Rejects Obama Admin: We Won't Promote Obamacare

From the NFL...

We have responded to the letters we received from members of Congress to inform them we currently have no plans to engage in this area and have had no substantive contact with the administration about PPACA’s implementation.

So there was an attempt from the government for the NFL to do this.

The NFL made the right choice. They should stick to what makes them popular.
So you just contradicted your own original post.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:48 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Great. I'll love to see tony Romo doing something worthwhile durring a game this season.

Poor girl, she's so ugly I feel so sorry for her...

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 02:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Just put up a couple Television commercials to promote Obamacare, why do they need the NBA and NFL to do it??

Old 06-29-2013, 03:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Obama is so popular, he should stand behind it as it's spokesman and do his own commercials.

Let him tell us how great it is.

Or maybe Pulosi can now explain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies