Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:42 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
LOL.... yes more love and less sex until you are an adult, but it isn't likely to happen. But if there is to be sex, please let it be protected sex....
Excuse me, but i have to go take a cold shower. Wearing my socks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
Personally,I don't think people should have sex under the age of 17 or 18 and until they have graduated high school,BUT since this is not a perfect world, teens need to be educated about protection!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:42 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Abstinence only programs will IMO never work. I think a more realistic thing to do is to teach kids from an early age to respect their bodies and themselves and view sex as something which is special and a sign of intimacy rather than just something which is to be given freely to all. Try to instil a modicum of common sense and put relationships at the heart of sex.

It seems a more mature attitude to sex is what makes the difference and seems to work in European ( apart from the UK which has the most s******ing/churlish attitude to sex anyway)countries. Treat your kids like adults . A lot of adults and parents have such a childish view of sex, it's not surprising kids follow in their footsteps. I also think we live in an increasingly sexualised society where sex is everywhere from pop videos to movies and video games so it's no wonder kids end up following the adult's examples.

Maybe WE should be more responsible . Sex is fun , and enjoyable so let's not criminalise it in the eyes of teenagers but time to be grown up about it. Unwanted pregnancies, STDs and other related issues are much, much lower in European countries. It's about Education.

Why has the word S.N.I.G.E.R.R.I.N.G been blanked out it is NOT offensive ?

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 11-08-2007 at 02:57 AM..

Old 11-08-2007, 02:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
The Dutch model. (http://www.unesco.org/courier/2000_07/uk/apprend2.htm - broken link)
Teenage Pregnancy - World Population Awareness

Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Letters 2 to 6 were caught by the auto censor.

Lets face the simple fact that humans are designed to have sex when they are teens. We came from the factory programmed to make more humans and have been doing so rather successfully for a couple of million years. The problem is our current society/economy/culture does not need unchecked reproduction and is way too prudish to admit that there are effective ways to control the reproduction and disease without controlling the sex.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:03 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Anyone who cares about their child shouldn't expect the school to teach kids about sex and sexual practices. It has to start early, and it needs to start at home.

Abstinence only programs may not be effective, but kids definitely need to take note of the fact that contraceptives are not fail proof either. Condoms break. Birth control pills can still fail as they are in the range of 92-99% effective. That means you have at the minimum a 1 in 100 chance of getting pregnant by relying on the pill.

If schools are gonna educate, I think they should use a top to bottom emphasis, meaning they should stress how important it is that kids understand the only effective way to prevent STD's and pregnancy is abstinence. Then alternatives/contraceptives should be taught as a SAFER THAN NOTHING approach, not a 100% safe approach. I happen to know someone who's sister got pregnant due to condom breakage at age 17. It definitely can happen and kids shouldn't be taught any illusions that contraceptives are failproof. Then they should educate them on the effects of using NOTHING. Very horrible idea outside of a committed relationship where both are STD free and are stable enough to deal with pregnancy. Right now though, 1 in 4 sexually active teens have an STD. Not good.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:44 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Anybody could tell you abstinence only programs don't work. That's been known forever. And I noticed somebody said that people shouldn't have sex until a certain age. I couldn't disagree more. You can't assign levels of maturity or anything else to certain age groups. There are teens who are more mature that adults. Readiness for anything has nothing to do with age.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:04 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
I said they shouldn't be having sex if they are still in high school and under,say 17. This would (if possible) cut down on teens who are unwed becoming high shool dropouts and having children at an age when they 1. Can't afford to care for them and 2. Often are not mature to take care of a child. But I also said since this is not likely to happen,abstinence shouldn't be the only sex education they receive.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
LOL, well no... age appropriate clothes. They don't have to be ugly. I just think there is something wrong with making 10 year old girls look like hookers, and some of the clothes you see for girls at the malls do look like that.
You've got that right! I can't believe the clothes I see some of these young girls wearing. What's worse is the fact they are with their mothers, and the mothers don't seem to care. I have seen 12 y/o girls with skirts so short you could nearly see their panties.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
To me this issue can be compared to driver's education. Would we ever teach children to drive around with seat belts? No, because we understand that teenagers inherently make poor decisions. We can make teenagers watch videos of people involved in bloody accidents yet anyone with an ounce of sense realizes that there will still be teens that will drive their cars irresponsibly. Knowing that teenagers are inherently prone to making poor decisions why in the world would we not educate and inform them about the dangers of sex in addition to educating them about how to prevent some of the unfortunate consequences of sex? In short, abstinence education makes absolutely no sense whatsoever due to the fact that we know some teenagers will have sex no matter what we do or what we say. Knowing this, I believe it is irresponsible not to teach about birth control since it is a health issue. Incidents of STDs are rising. We need to do everything to put a stop to this. Unfortunately, the government is sometimes so powerful and arrogant that they will continue with a program that has been proven by research to be ineffective. D.A.R.E., anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies