Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 05:02 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Cop Stops Son From Driving Dying Mom To Hospital Only Blocks Away Because Of Expired Tags - YouTube

Better training? Harsher punishments for misconduct/incompetence? What's the solution?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:00 AM

So should we obey, or rebel?

In that situation I would've rebelled. I would've drove my grandmother to the hospital and gotten her some treatment. Sorted the rest out later.

How should we react when the police are breaking the law?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:36 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropes1981 View Post
You failed to get the point. It is worth repeating.

WAS THE OWNER ASKED TO EITHER BE QUIET OR LEAVE (IF HE COULD NOT)? WAS HE? THE ANSWER IS NO TO THE QUESTION. I find it amazing that some of you support such aggresive behavior. Seriously. Are some of you from the former USSR?
Sorry, bottom line is there was an uncontrolled and unsecured Rottweiler off of it's leash in a volatile situation. I'd shoot first too. There's no way I'm risking myself for this dog or his owner and I don't expect cops to either. It was up to the owner to secure his dog. He failed to do that. I see no other outcome here. The behavior of the dog is unpredictable. The dog could perceive the arrest as an attack on his owner and attack in kind. What you're forgetting is you are watching a video from behind your computer screen. The cops were right there facing the dog. That puts a different perspective on this. Whether justifiable in 20/20 hindsight while sitting behind a computer screen in absolutely no danger or not, the cops get the benefit of a doubt for actually being there facing the dog with only a gun for protection. It should be no surprise that gun got used.

The failure is on the part of the dog's owner to secure his pet and guarantee the safety of the cops. Since he failed, the cops guaranteed their own safety. I do not blame them for shooting first. The entire situation was unpredictable thanks to an irresponsible dog owner who let his pet get out of the car.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Sorry, bottom line is there was an uncontrolled and unsecured Rottweiler off of it's leash in a volatile situation. I'd shoot first too. There's no way I'm risking myself for this dog or his owner and I don't expect cops to either. It was up to the owner to secure his dog. He failed to do that. I see no other outcome here. The behavior of the dog is unpredictable. The dog could perceive the arrest as an attack on his owner and attack in kind. What you're forgetting is you are watching a video from behind your computer screen. The cops were right there facing the dog. That puts a different perspective on this. Whether justifiable in 20/20 hindsight while sitting behind a computer screen in absolutely no danger or not, the cops get the benefit of a doubt for actually being there facing the dog with only a gun for protection. It should be no surprise that gun got used.

The failure is on the part of the dog's owner to secure his pet and guarantee the safety of the cops. Since he failed, the cops guaranteed their own safety. I do not blame them for shooting first. The entire situation was unpredictable thanks to an irresponsible dog owner who let his pet get out of the car.
The bottom line is the rockweiler would've never been a question if the man was not unlawfully detained.

Which happened 1st?

The police broke the law.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:17 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The bottom line is the rockweiler would've never been a question if the man was not unlawfully detained.

Which happened 1st?

The police broke the law.
Sorry, the bottom line is, the rottie would not have been a question, had the owner went on his merry way instead of causing a problem.

He pulled up with music blaring so loud the cops couldn't hear was was going on, during a crime taking place with an armed perp. This dog didn't have to die, it wouldn't have been a question, if instead of being an interfering jackass, he had kept going on his way. He chose to interfere, he chose to put both himself AND his dog in harms way, he chose to interfere during a dangerous situation, and the bottom line, as much as I love animals, he chose to put his dog in a position that would force it to act within it's nature and protect him, and get the dog killed for doing what the dog does, protect his companion.

Put the blame where it belongs, on the dog's owner.

Police Shoot Dog, Gunshots Caught On Graphic Video (NSFW, UPDATES)

Quote:
During this evolving critical incident and the extraction of suspects from the home, Officers containing the location were interfered with by an individual. This interference included loud, distracting music (from the individual's vehicle), and his intentional walking within close proximity to armed Officers, while holding an 80-pound Rottweiler on a long leash-line. These acts, in totality, created an increasingly dangerous situation and demanded officers' focus away from the matter at hand. By comparison, numerous citizens were filming similarly as the suspect, but from a safe distance and compliant to Officers' regards.

And then this gem -

EXTREMELY GRAPHIC VIDEO: Police gun down dog in front of owner - NY Daily News

Quote:
The nearly 4-minute video, posted on YouTube and viewed a half-million times, shows a police standoff at 137th St. and Jefferson Ave. in the California city. The dog’s owner, later identified as Leon Rosby, 52, appears on screen, walking his large black and tan canine. Rosby himself pulls out a cellphone and starts filming the police operation while intermittently yelling at the officers on scene. Rosby later said he was worried about civil rights violations.

“He’s giving them problems,” one man filming the incident says as Rosby gets closer to the police scene. “I’d hate to be an officer right now.”

Two officers patrolling the scene begin to approach Rosby, who puts Max in his nearby car. Music is blaring from the car and the windows are down

Old 07-04-2013, 07:23 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

I find it pretty ironic that posters who can easily be found spewing anti gun propaganda in other threads and telling the average citizen he shouldn't have a gun to defend himself, are on this very thread praising this cops actions.....

Bunch of hypocrites
Unlike some unhinged posters here, I believe that we need law enforcement to maintain a civilized society. I do not believe that a civilized society is enhanced by allowing every person of questionable judgment to run around with whatever kind of deadly weapon they want.

Call me crazy if you want.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

I find it pretty ironic that posters who can easily be found spewing anti gun propaganda in other threads and telling the average citizen he shouldn't have a gun to defend himself, are on this very thread praising this cops actions.....

Bunch of hypocrites
I don't see anyone praising the cop's actions. I see people saying they are understandable.

Realty is, you and I were not standing there facing the dog. It's easy to hide behind a computer screen and watch a video when you are in no danger and pick apart what someone who felt they were in eminent danger did. The bottom line is you and I were not standing there facing the dog. The cop was and IMO, his actions were understandable given the situation. You and I see no reason to shoot the dog because the dog can't bite us through the screen. You and I are not dealing with the heightened emotions of the situation. We're not in fight or flight mode as we watch the video. Honestly, once that dog was loose, I see no other way this could have ended. It was only a matter of time before the dog made a move that was seen as threatening by one of the cops and I don't blame them for shooting first. This was an unrestrained Rottweiler. These dogs can be vicious.

The failure here is on the part of the owner to not secure his pet in the car. Had he done that, the dog would be alive today. Once the dog was loose, the odds of this ending well for the dog were drastically reduced.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Sorry, the bottom line is, the rottie would not have been a question, had the owner went on his merry way instead of causing a problem.

He pulled up with music blaring so loud the cops couldn't hear was was going on, during a crime taking place with an armed perp. This dog didn't have to die, it wouldn't have been a question, if instead of being an interfering jackass, he had kept going on his way. He chose to interfere, he chose to put both himself AND his dog in harms way, he chose to interfere during a dangerous situation, and the bottom line, as much as I love animals, he chose to put his dog in a position that would force it to act within it's nature and protect him, and get the dog killed for doing what the dog does, protect his companion.

Put the blame where it belongs, on the dog's owner.

Police Shoot Dog, Gunshots Caught On Graphic Video (NSFW, UPDATES)

And then this gem -

EXTREMELY GRAPHIC VIDEO: Police gun down dog in front of owner - NY Daily News

There's video evidence of the whole event. Go back and watch it. You can clearly see that the cops have kicked in the door weapons drawn and are already inside when you 1st see the man approach the cop cars with his phone. There are MULTIPLE. I repeat. Multiple people filming and in the general area witnessing the event as well. On the video, besides music playing (which would not distract from a raid), you can also hear some other young men joking about the incident and narrating what's going on.

There is no law against filming the Police. In fact, I wish more people WOULD film the Police. Maybe then we'd finally have some justice and equality around here. The Police should not be allowed to intimidate and discourage Americans from filming the truth. No clear commands were given to the man before he was arrested from the video.

When the man yells, "That's a Civil Rights Violation" that's when the cops approach with guns drawn. Who knows what the entire situation was over.

Wanna play support Johnny Law? Ok. Support it all around. I'll repeat it again. When Frank Lucas was taken down in NY in the 70's nearly 75%. A clear majority. Of the DEA was sentenced along with him.

Know who your really protecting.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:06 AM

After the dog has clearly not attacked any of the officers, the man is heard shouting "Don't shoot my dog. Please don't shoot my dog!"

This is after the man turned and surrendered immediately after the Police began to approach him.

If they dog was going to attack he would've done so initially. There were 3 officers and multiple opportunities to subdue the dog non-lethally.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Why didn't these so-called “peace officers” use a tazer on the dog? They taze people everyday and zapping a dog wouldn't be any different for them. The use of lethal force in this circumstance clearly demonstrates a seriously questionable lack of judgment on the part of the shooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies