Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:35 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I don't think anyone has suggested that they are/were.

The point was made that a lot of people seem to have the belief, perception, whatever, that the majority of people who collect welfare ARE black. At minimum it is always black people or black stereotypes that are used when decrying the "welfare state" when in fact, as you have pointed out, that is far from an accurate depiction.

When that perception changes, then maybe it will make sense to talk about how other groups of people are suffering due to budget cuts, etc. in a thread that is predicated on lack of progress in the black community.

Until then, not so much.
What I questioned was a poster stating that there should be federally funded programs geared strictly for black people. Blacks, whites, and people of all ethnicities would be contributing to those programs geared to benefit one race via their tax dollars.

There have been plenty of organizations/programs established exclusively for one race/ethnicity/religion through private funding. I just don't believe that the federal government and the taxpayers should be responsible for the establishment of programs that are designed to accommodate any one group of people.

Just who is responsible for the lack of progress in the black community? IMO, there is plenty of blame to spread around.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:35 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No worse than Christians would behave if given the opportunity.
What have Christians got to do with a comment about gays? Why always this insertion of religion in these conversations. You are not talking about Christians you are talking about religious nuts. A true Christian does not seek to dominate or rule - or be ruled.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No worse than Christians would behave if given the opportunity.
Wait a sec- I get it - Gays view Christians as their sworn enemies. Any mention of anti-homosexuality is ONLY mentioned in the Old Testament - which is primarily a Jewish history...Maybe gays should pick on Jews instead?

Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
I think things are about to change drastically for black Americans. The SC just tightened up the use of race-based AA. In my experience, other ethnic groups (Asians, Southeast Asians, latinos) do not support race-based AA. Plus, I have seen the attitude for the frontier of civil rights change from black rights to GLBT rights and the rights of other groups. In fact, I have seen a growing amount of animosity towards blacks, especially from other ethnic minorities. I am beginning to wonder if the black community is coming down off a peak.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 AM

494 posts, read 804,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What have Christians got to do with a comment about gays? Why always this insertion of religion in these conversations. You are not talking about Christians you are talking about religious nuts. A true Christian does not seek to dominate or rule - or be ruled.

Thank you. Amazing how soo many both like him and the so called christians of the far right do not understand this. Sorry but they are not being true Christians either as we were not put here to judge for one which the far right nuts tend to do often. Ofcourse some prefer to go by the old testimate as well which wont bode well for them either as that has a different set of rules which i am near 100% none live by. Via new Testament jesus dies for ALL ( Yes that includes gays etc ) of our sins and all one ( thus all including gays etc ) has to do is accept HIM as their savior. SOME OF US know this.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
My point clearly flew over your head! I'm not advocating for social welfare programs strictly for blacks. That wasn't the point at all... So all of that stuff you claim that I want is based in delusion...
Really? The way I read your posts, you are, unless that's just you bit*ching:

Quote:
First off I don’t bit**,

First off I don’t bit**, second I voice my opinion on issues that affect me and subjects I’m interested in. So no, I won’t let you undervalue opinions based on the black perspective by classifying them as bitc****!

My statement wasn’t made to highlight how the government “helps” blacks. It was meant to show that there isn’t government social welfare programs that only (poor) blacks can take advantage of.
Quote:
How does the government hurt black folks (and I'm not talking about Bull Connor and his kind). Neo-Cons always talk about social programs aimed at helping the poor but they often neglect to mention that there aren't any government ran social welfare programs that are only for blacks.

Most of us have a different perspective...
The way I read it, you think the government hasn't done enough to help black people and there should be federally funded programs that are exclusive for the advancement of poor black people. And as I mentioned, there are plenty of federally funded programs for the advancement of poor people - regardless of race. And that's the way it should be.

That's my perspective......................

As for not understanding how the government hurt black people, I gather you weren't around for the civil rights movement and don't understand how government "helped" black people. The first step was to get black people on welfare and basically pay for all their needs every month and keep it attractive enough to keep black people out of the work force and kill any incentive for their own progress. The government was more than happy to build and own what were known as "housing projects" to house black people and pay the rent for housing (the housing was basically free because the government paid the "rent" which circulated back into the welfare fund) that they couldn't normally afford. Put cash in their pockets that would amount to more than if they did work. The government basically gave black people housing and cash that was out of their reach if they did work, which worked out pretty good since there were no jobs available for black people to see the same income or more. And this process evolved to the thinking "why should I work when the government "pays" me more than if I did work?". Keep in mind that back in the 60s and 70s the number of white people on welfare were generally widows or divorced women raising children who had no working skills and there was no childcare available to them. Today, poor white people (who make up the majority of recipients) on welfare have the same mentality and don't take advantage of programs to help them get off of welfare. Unfortunately a large segment of white society either refuses to accept this fact (out of shame??)

Many black people heeded the words of MLK to live the dream. Many chose to follow the government run welfare program which was merely a way for white society to continue the suppression and control of black people. The government program stripped the dignity, self-respect and desire to succeed from black people and continues to do, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, lifestyle.

Clinton put a cap on how long one could collect welfare benefits - pushing recipients to find a way to become self-sufficient. (This was a move that one would have expected a Republican to make.) Obama cancelled out the limitation to the joy of many and left it to each state to run their welfare distribution as they saw fit, which included the choice to implement a work-required program, or let people continue to flounder on welfare.

When many black people raised their voices that government dependency was not a solution to advancement, federally funded programs were created geared for poor black people, but not limited to black people. Many black people took advantage of those programs, many succeeded on their own, and many didn't do either.

Now I expect you and yours to go with the standard response used on white people who point out a reality that black people don't want to hear or agree to: that I'm an ignorant white person who knows squat. Knock yourself out.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In order to make a rational argument, you need to have a rational audience.
If you were capable of comprehension and following what has been posted ^^^ this could actually be directed to the poster you commented to rather than an indirect comment towards me. A rational argument (I would prefer to debate, but you can argue all you want) can only occur when people are consistent with their statements.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:16 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Really? The way I read your posts, you are, unless that's just you bit*ching:

The way I read it, you think the government hasn't done enough to help black people and there should be federally funded programs that are exclusive for the advancement of poor black people. And as I mentioned, there are plenty of federally funded programs for the advancement of poor people - regardless of race. And that's the way it should be.

That's my perspective......................

As for not understanding how the government hurt black people, I gather you weren't around for the civil rights movement and don't understand how government "helped" black people. The first step was to get black people on welfare and basically pay for all their needs every month and keep it attractive enough to keep black people out of the work force and kill any incentive for their own progress. The government was more than happy to build and own what were known as "housing projects" to house black people and pay the rent for housing (the housing was basically free because the government paid the "rent" which circulated back into the welfare fund) that they couldn't normally afford. Put cash in their pockets that would amount to more than if they did work. The government basically gave black people housing and cash that was out of their reach if they did work, which worked out pretty good since there were no jobs available for black people to see the same income or more. And this process evolved to the thinking "why should I work when the government "pays" me more than if I did work?". Keep in mind that back in the 60s and 70s the number of white people on welfare were generally widows or divorced women raising children who had no working skills and there was no childcare available to them. Today, poor white people (who make up the majority of recipients) on welfare have the same mentality and don't take advantage of programs to help them get off of welfare. Unfortunately a large segment of white society either refuses to accept this fact (out of shame??)

Many black people heeded the words of MLK to live the dream. Many chose to follow the government run welfare program which was merely a way for white society to continue the suppression and control of black people. The government program stripped the dignity, self-respect and desire to succeed from black people and continues to do, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, lifestyle.

Clinton put a cap on how long one could collect welfare benefits - pushing recipients to find a way to become self-sufficient. (This was a move that one would have expected a Republican to make.) Obama cancelled out the limitation to the joy of many and left it to each state to run their welfare distribution as they saw fit, which included the choice to implement a work-required program, or let people continue to flounder on welfare.

When many black people raised their voices that government dependency was not a solution to advancement, federally funded programs were created geared for poor black people, but not limited to black people. Many black people took advantage of those programs, many succeeded on their own, and many didn't do either.

Now I expect you and yours to go with the standard response used on white people who point out a reality that black people don't want to hear or agree to: that I'm an ignorant white person who knows squat. Knock yourself out.
Why do Black people or any other people want to hear what was true 40 years ago. Blacks are not all on welfare, not all looking for a hand out...That is your perception-your reality.

So, all your complaints comes down to "Blacks on Welfare"...

If you have a problem with welfare, why not agrue against welfare? why equate welfare with black folk?

The same percentage of white folk are on welfare as blacks...so why is it a black issue to you?

Old 07-04-2013, 03:50 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If you were capable of comprehension and following what has been posted ^^^ this could actually be directed to the poster you commented to rather than an indirect comment towards me. A rational argument (I would prefer to debate, but you can argue all you want) can only occur when people are consistent with their statements.
I am, I did and I stand by my statement.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Why do Black people or any other people want to hear what was true 40 years ago. Blacks are not all on welfare, not all looking for a hand out...That is your perception-your reality.

So, all your complaints comes down to "Blacks on Welfare"...

If you have a problem with welfare, why not agrue against welfare? why equate welfare with black folk?

The same percentage of white folk are on welfare as blacks...so why is it a black issue to you?
You have a serious problem with comprehension. Did you get dropped on your head when you were a baby?

Let me ask you this: why do black people get upset when white people don't want to hear about what happened far more back than 40 years ago about white people and black slavery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies