Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times

Advertisements

June is an important month for Lesbian, Gay, Bi- and Trans- people (LGBT).

In June 1969 the patrons of a gay bar in New York City's Greenwich Village resisted police entrapment and arrest in the three day "Stonewall Uprising" which was a turning point in the history of the gay rights struggle.

In June 1977 Miami conservatives and Christian fundamentalists under the leadership of singer Anita Bryant successfully overturned a Dade County ordinance that protected gays and lesbians in areas of employment, housing and public accommodations.

In June 2003 the United States Supreme Court issued a ruling (Lawrence V. Texas) that declared local laws prohibiting or criminalizing homosexual activity ("sodomy laws") unconstitutional once and for all.

In this century we have seen the LGBT community win many more victories than defeats. By victories I mean the growth and maturation of powerful well funded organizations, community centers, political lobbies and private enterprises. 10 years ago not one state recognized legal same sex marriages ... now it is legal in 12 states, the District of Columbia, and 3 Native American Tribes. At no other time has there been as many LGBT elected officials including in both the House of Representatives and the Senate. All legal barriers against gays serving in US military evaporated with the fall of DOMA ("Don't Ask Don't Tell") The struggle for gay rights was noted in President Obama's Inauguration speech. The tide had turned in favor of the LGBT community.

What went wrong with Anita Bryant's campaign more than 35 years ago? How could the powerful coalition she created begin to crumble?

In my view, a few reasons that contributed to the success of the gay rights struggle include:

-- Gay people themselves started to "come out" in large numbers. In the first half of the 20th Century the majority of Americans could say they even knew a gay person. When they started to be come visible it was apparent that good people, decent people, even admirable people were gay. It was easier to demonize an invisible minority.

-- The opponents of gay rights did not have facts or the truth on their side. They underestimated (and many still do!) the actual numbers of LGBT people. They tenaciously held on to old myths and stereotypes they had of gay people.

-- The Gay Liberation Movement was not one restricted only to the US, but throughout much of world. The decriminalization of homosexual acts between men began in earnest in the UK with Lord Wolfenden's report at the end of World War 2. With gay acts legalized in Britain and Canada, the US Bar Association included it in their model penal code in which states, starting with Illinois in 1960. Other states followed.The civil rights struggles of African-Americans, women, religious minorities and others created a growing climate of tolerance and equality for all Americans.

-- Scientific studies and research shed new light on the nature of homosexuality and sexual orientation.

-- The civil rights struggles of other minorities such as African-Americans, women, Hispanics, Jews, and others created a growing climate of tolerance, inclusion, and equality.

-- The willingness of pioneers to agitate for social change - the Stonewall Uprising is an example - and the passionate determination and dedication of those activists resulted in societal change.

What are your thoughts?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Was at the pride day event on Saturday in Salisbury,NC and found the people against to be yelling and screaming like children in a school yard.They were from a church group, what a shame.

Its time for them to grow up and understand that they look foolish in their actions and are not going to change anyone

Old 06-24-2013, 08:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
These are victories for the entire community not just the LGBT folks. These are victories for the individual over the mob. These are victories for all of us that value individual expression over group repression.

Last edited by GregW; 06-24-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 08:29 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Opponents of gay rights' are losing because they have no rational basis from which to argue from.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Was at the pride day event on Saturday in Salisbury,NC and found the people against to be yelling and screaming like children in a school yard.They were from a church group, what a shame.
That is true of many here on the forum too. The opponents of gay rights frequently resort to name-calling or condemnation based on verses cherry-picked from their bibles. Sad, really.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I would not let anyone force me to conform to their sexual preferences so I do not have any right to force my preferences on anyone else.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Opponents of gay rights' are losing because they have no rational basis from which to argue from.
It seems to me that when the arguments against gay rights are distilled into a single reason it has to do with personal religious dogma.

There are no rational, reasonable, scientific, or educated arguments to support prejudice and discrimination against LGBT people.

It's all because of their religious views. That's it.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post

Its time for them to grow up and understand that they look foolish in their actions and are not going to change anyone
This reminds me of a church event I attended as a teenager in the late '70s. There was a speaker from a group called Word of Life and a short video of a presentation by Anita Bryant. I don't remember what exactly it was about, just generic Evangelical Christian stuff with a "family values" message I think. But Bryant had become a lightning rod at that time for the gay rights movement and a group of activists came to protest. They spent the whole time screaming obcenities at the speaker. At some point police made them leave the building. Afterward they formed a group outside and leered menacingly at us as we left the church. They were by far the most vile, ill-mannered people I had ever encountered in my sheltered life to that point. It made quite an impression... quite an introduction for me to the concept of gay rights.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
That is true of many here on the forum too. The opponents of gay rights frequently resort to name-calling or condemnation based on verses cherry-picked from their bibles. Sad, really.

I just think using another man's pooper for a vagina is disgusting and a crime against nature.

While the APA has stated that they are unable to determine the cause(s) of homosexuality, it is understood that humans have developed an innate behavioral immune system that uses the emotion of disgust to keep things likely to be ripe with bacteria, viruses and parasites such as diseased persons, rotting flesh or feces far way from our bodies.

Unusual sexual practices and the people who practice them are also on the list of things to avoid as novel pathogens are efficiently spread by these people to sex partners and possibly others, so try not to take it personally and understand that the person expressing disgust with homosexuality was born with this trait and can do little or nothing to change it.

'+windowtitle+'

Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It seems to me that when the arguments against gay rights are distilled into a single reason it has to do with personal religious dogma.

There are no rational, reasonable, scientific, or educated arguments to support prejudice and discrimination against LGBT people.

It's all because of their religious views. That's it.

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_y...Duncan2007.doc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies