Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What is loaded?

Why is so secretive about libertarianism? Im not asking about masonic lodge rituals, scientology or how to breed Unicorns...

Im asking a simple question.

That was a way lame come back..."Learn about society...and the formation of government". Give me a freaking break.

Answer the question or say...I DONT KNOW
You are asking loaded questions....

"What society does not have controls??"

Then you make a hammerfisted statement......

"NAME ME THREE LIBERTARIAN SOCIETIES"

OKAY, you want the answer??

How many Libertarian societies are there now?

Answer: 0

But, what does that have to do with the price of apples in China?

I can tell you exactly why there are NO Libertarian (and furthermore...Anarchist) societies..But do YOU know why?

EDIT: and let me backtrack... You can make the argument that Somalia is Libertarian...but that is VERY arguable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 01:21 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
I classify myself as an Independent Conservative, and normally vote for the most conservative candidate no matter what the party affiliation.

That said, Libertarians do share values with the Republicans, but also some with Democrats, so you can't just lump them into one or the other.

Libertarians do seem to have more anarchist traits than Republicans, the overriding ideal seems to be " I can do whatever I want as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else".

A nation only operates within a structure of law to protect the individual as well as the society. The problem seems to come in when either there are too many laws, or the laws in place stifle individual rights and responsibilities.

Yes there are a lot of laws I disagree with, like seat belt laws for instance. If I choose to wear one is my business and doesn't impact anybody else, but there are others like laws against identity theft that I really support.

It seems that we are entering another time of flux and change where the parties will have to realign themselves, or there will be fractionalized small parties gaining strength.

Not so different from the Copperheads, the Mugwumps, the "workers" parties and the Bull Moose parties of the last century, only now we have Greens, Libertarians and Tea Party.

If you aren't aligned with a party, your vote is marginalized because 1 out of 300,000,000 means you don't have much say, but if you align with millions of others that share you views you can change the country.
The problem comes in because not everybody agrees with everything somebody else says so you have friction, or compromise.

Those most successful at bringing different folks and factions together like Reagan did can make real progress.
Those that divide the country like obama, get nothing done and cause the dissent and anger we see today.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
I've got a FB friend who insists he's libertarian yet anytime I post something political, he is quick to bash the democrats. I have never, not even once, seen him say anything negative about republicans. Not one single time, it is always the democrats. Therefore, based on him & a few others who claim to be libertarians, I believe they're really just conservatives.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I've got a FB friend who insists he's libertarian yet anytime I post something political, he is quick to bash the democrats. I have never, not even once, seen him say anything negative about republicans. Not one single time, it is always the democrats. Therefore, based on him & a few others who claim to be libertarians, I believe they're really just conservatives.

Nothing wrong with conservative, especially being fiscally conservative, limiting spending, and keeping government out of the lives of the individual. Now neo-cons on the other hand.... totally different animal.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
It is not R v. D.

Progressive cancer lives in both parties.
We the people, are slowly culling the progressives from the party of Republican.
That will never happen in the original Progressive Democrat mob rule party, after they culled out any and all conservative values.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
No, they are just Neo-Cons!

The problem is anybody who has conservative values...or even moderate values and is a fiscal conservative gets pigeonholed.

Libertarians are anti-statists....anybody who says they are a statist, or galvanizes to statist properties like minarchism is not a Libertarian.

In the truest sense of the word... Ron Paul is not even a Libertarian. He just has his ish together more than most.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:33 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I've met many people who tend to describe themselves as Libertarians - fiscally conservative, socially liberal, believe in individual freedom, and all for a minimal centralized government. And I actually respect many Libertarian thoughts to varying degrees. My observation is that Libertarians do seem to be a mix of left and right viewpoints but overall seem to support the right. After all, I find most Libertarians do support the Republicans at election time. Do you think its appropriate to view Libertarians more as a subset of the Republicans or do you believe they are distinct enough to stand alone as neither Republican or Democratic?
Picture this if you will,
democrats are left but realize and know the earth is round,
republicans are well, right, more right than what center is,
libertarians are well, so far right of republicans that.....

Thelma & Louise:Ending Scene - YouTube

Old 07-03-2013, 01:38 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:

Because Democrats are always wrong while Republicans are wrong sometimes. :-)

Old 07-03-2013, 01:44 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,414 times
I generally also think that the idea of the political party is rather constricting and anti-liberty as well. They are bastions of conformity and group-thinking, and stifle individualism. This why I am reticent in support of either major political party, and I would also think that the Libertarian party is not as popular among (small l) libertarians.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:45 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
what kinds of things are you posting on FB? I classify myself as a libertarian because there is no other way to explain it to the common person. I am a patrick henry conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies