Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude
Until the "whistleblowers" testified and Issa got caught trying to cover up testimony.
You are hinging a whole lot of weight on that, a very debatable statement, and in any case a small piece of the overall puzzle. Plus Issa had an entirely plausible reason for not wanting transcripts released.

Explain to me how the transcripts from John Shafer (the self-IDed 'conservative Republican IRS mgr) explains away the NOM or Engelbrecht cases. How does this one small piece of the puzzle wipe away the entire scandal?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:52 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You are absolutely correct. There is the potential for at least the first two prongs of the standing test to be satisfied.

Certainly, you know better than that. The extreme effort to keep this alive mirrors completely the previous efforts to make political hay out of Fast & Furious, Benghazi and the leak investigations of journalist phone records. And I have to tell you... when the IRS story broke even I thought it had legs. I am on record in at least a couple posts here at C-D that the allegations were troubling and serious.

Until the "whistleblowers" testified and Issa got caught trying to cover up testimony.

Issa is turning out to be merely a better paid more powerful James O'Keefe or Andrew Breitbart; a guy who tries (and sometimes succeeds) to destroy the lives of his political foes through dishonesty, subterfuge, innuendo and rumor mongering.

You want to know why Lerner wants immunity? Because she knows that Issa will treat her no better than he would the dog crap on his shoes.
Fine, then we need a special prosecutor to investigate the IRS scandal. Obama would be all for that, right? It would mean even his reelection committee would be up for scrutinizing. I'm sure Obama, who was "outraged" by this clearly political focus on TP groups by the IRS, would be all for that. Or, maybe not, since he decided to install a puppet in the IRS from his own OMB to oversee what went wrong.

Oh, this still has legs and Obama and friends wanting to see it go away as fast as possible doesn't change any of that.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You are hinging a whole lot of weight on that, a very debatable statement, and in any case a small piece of the overall puzzle.
You think I'm talking about just one statement? It was complete testimony from multiple people. Whistleblowers is plural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
Plus Issa had an entirely plausible reason for not wanting transcripts released.
Other than a deliberate cover up? What "plausible" reason do you have in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
Explain to me how the transcripts from John Shafer (the self-IDed 'conservative Republican IRS mgr) explains away the NOM or Engelbrecht cases. How does this one small piece of the puzzle wipe away the entire scandal?
The NOM case has essentially nothing to do with the alleged IRS targeting scandal. And the Englbrecht case appears to be more about an FBI investigation than anything the IRS was or was not doing.

Each will get it's day in court, I'm sure. Neither are obvious evidence of the alleged inappropriate IRS targeting of Tea Party groups.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
when the IRS story broke even I thought it had legs. I am on record in at least a couple posts here at C-D that the allegations were troubling and serious.
It's still just as serious and has legs, Werfel has said that conservative groups were targted and the IG has reiterated that conservative groups were targeted and that was days ago. While liberal groups may have been on these lists they still skated through this process. We have yet to hear who is responsible and most certainly Lerner is going to know.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Fine, then we need a special prosecutor to investigate the IRS scandal.
You're getting ahead of yourself. First there actually has to be a scandal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475
Obama would be all for that, right?
I can't imagine he would, no. The Republican history of turning such investigations into witch hunts will forever serve as a cautionary tale for smart people.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's still just as serious and has legs.
I know how deeply you want that to be true. But life is just filled with little disappointments.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Her asking for immunity is telling that she may deserve to be treated no better.
I suspect that her asking for immunity has exactly nothing to do with your attitude towards her at all.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:11 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
You're getting ahead of yourself. First there actually has to be a scandal.

I can't imagine he would, no. The Republican history of turning such investigations into witch hunts will forever serve as a cautionary tale for smart people.
Reminder number 4:

Quote:
Based on the information you flagged regarding the existence of a "Progressives" entry on BOLO lists, TIGTA performed additional research which determined that six tax-exempt applications filed between May 2010 and May 2012 having the words "progress" or "progressive" in their names were included in the 298 cases the IRS identified as potential political cases. We also determined that 14 tax-exempt applications filed between May 2010 and May 2012 using the words "progress" or "progressive" in their names were not referred for added scrutiny as potential political cases. In total, 30 percent of the organizations we identified with the words "progress" or "progressive" in their names were processed as potential political cases. In comparison, our audit found that 100 percent of the tax-exempt applications with Tea Party, Patriots, or 9/12 in their names were processed as potential political cases during the time frame of our audit.
http://waysandmeans.house.gov/upload...in_6.26.13.pdf

Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
I suspect that her asking for immunity has exactly nothing to do with your attitude towards her at all.
This has nothing to do with how I feel about her.

It has everything to do with abuse of power in her chosen profession in which she has great responsibility to oversee what should be a top notch ethical organization.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
I know how deeply you want that to be true. But life is just filled with little disappointments.
From Thursday:

Quote:
House panel says IRS official waived 5th Amendment right - CNN.com

Both liberal and conservative groups were flagged by the IRS when assessing their eligibility for a tax break available to social welfare organizations.

However, only conservative groups faced delayed processing and inappropriate questioning about political activity that would make them ineligible, according to IRS Principal Deputy Commissioner Daniel Werfel and a letter by J. Russell George, the Treasury inspector general for tax administration.

This is not over until we know who is responsible for this. That question has not been answered yet, when Lerner first took the fifth the first thing I said was she was angling for immunity and that's exactly what she's doing.

In any event we're going to find one way or the other despite the claims from the left this is dead issue becsue it most certainly is not a dead issue until we know who is responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies