Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:43 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am sure MTV founders are against the dreck MTV puts out now. I mean seriously, you can't tell me the people behind The Music Channel (the original project name) are happy about only say 4 hours of music videos and many reality programming and some regular series on repeat. (Yes they had many forms of non-music programming since the mid 80's (WWF specials, Remote Control, Beavis & Butthead, Aeon Flux, Real World, Road Rules, Daria, Celebrity Death Match, WWE Heat, Jackass ect.) but when these programs were on, they were balanced by programs like Club MTV, Headbanger's Ball, Yo! MTV Raps, 120 Minutes, The Grind, TRL, Say What and Say What Karaoke that were. (In a side, at least the non-music programming during the 90's and 2000's weren't as bad as they are now.)

As for what BET became, the problem is the culture. Hip-hop and to a lesser extent soul and R&B have a sexy nature to them that leads to sexy videos. Let's remember the famous "Tip Drill" music video was for a TV MA show airing after 12 AM. Now unless little Junior was an insomniac, they wouldn't see it and may hear it from their insomniac friend at school. I don't watch the network myself, but we have to remember that is a part of the issue.
Hip hop was not originally "sexy" and a large amount of hip hop still is not sexy. I agree in regards to R&B but not soul since soul is more political in nature (songs that come to mind "What's Goin On" and "A Change Gon Come" etc., classic soul was not all that sexy either). Also neo-soul, which is popular, is more about love versus sex and usually neo-soul videos aren't blatantly sex-filled.

I don't have cable so I don't watch BET, but I think most cable tv channels in general are pretty bad. I know BET has some reality shows that are probably crappy like all the other ones, but I don't think any less of them than any other channel like TLC (how much learning goes on there now other than learning about stupidity and filth in programming) or Oxygen or Bravo. All of which have similar programming except BET does still have the music video element but their videos are no better or worse than other music video channels except maybe the country music channel.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
All that's left are stereotypes. Nothing else is going to draw ratings. I don't care what color you are either, it's the ridiculous that appeals to people who then emulate it and make it normal so the ridiculous has to evolve into something MORE ridiculous.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Hip hop was not originally "sexy" and a large amount of hip hop still is not sexy. I agree in regards to R&B but not soul since soul is more political in nature (songs that come to mind "What's Goin On" and "A Change Gon Come" etc., classic soul was not all that sexy either). Also neo-soul, which is popular, is more about love versus sex and usually neo-soul videos aren't blatantly sex-filled.
But you can jump between the two. "What's Goin On" was done by Marvin Gaye (great song by the way) but he also did sexier songs too. Hip-hop was social in nature and I guess by the 90's it became sexier. What I was saying is modern Hip-Hop, R&B and Soul are sexier in nature. There are still non-sex urban artists out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't have cable so I don't watch BET, but I think most cable tv channels in general are pretty bad. I know BET has some reality shows that are probably crappy like all the other ones, but I don't think any less of them than any other channel like TLC (how much learning goes on there now other than learning about stupidity and filth in programming) or Oxygen or Bravo. All of which have similar programming except BET does still have the music video element but their videos are no better or worse than other music video channels except maybe the country music channel.
I think BET is no worse than any other music station (now that they don't have un-rated music video show that brought the controversy in "Tip Drill."

Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
awww yes... BET Uncut

with such classic videos like:

"What That Thang Smell Like" or "Time For Freakin"

oh...the glory days of BET

---

Bob Johnson and his gold digging ex wife were about that paper Viacom threw at them, why would they be "disgusted"

the people who watch the Viacom owned cable product wants to see "ratchetness" (term the youngsters use...)

Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think BET is no worse than any other music station
Which ain't saying much. Considering the artistic talent within the African American community BET COULD have been an incredible outlet for exceptionally talented artist, writers, directors and producers who didn't fit into Hollywood's little boxes.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Co-Founder of BET Slams Network, Says It 'Reinforces Negative Stereotypes' | Kulture Kritic

When Sheila and her husband-at-the-time Robert Johnson owned the network, the racy “BET Uncut” music video series would broadcast late in the evening. Remember that little gem??? I sure do!! Youtube the video "Tip Drill", if you wanna see what I'm talking about.

I agree with her words in the article.......But she and her husband gave it all away.....I agree with her. But I also wanna tell her to sit down and shut her pie hole!

Read that full article.....tell me what you think.....
BET actually DOES personify black culture.

She just doesn't want to see it.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:37 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,158 times
BET is white/Jewish owned now lol. Johnson sold it because he was about the money. BET had and still possibly has the potential to be a great and much better channel with quality television. It just isn't the same as it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

BET needs new ideas and some of it's old programs and formats back.

I'm pretty sure BET will bring back reality shows again.

106 & Park is boring now lol. AJ & Free were better hosts.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator19 View Post
l laugh at this. BET should just say I is what I is. Every other word has to be blurped out.

"I get up Blurping morning and I smoke some blurp...........I call up the blurp and say come on over blurp. I no need no job cause the blurp will hit the street. Pimping aint easy."

And what was the one about not needing a diploma by Drake? You know the one where he basically calls people who pursue education losers. Nice dreads and tattoos and blue hair for the job interview.

Drake is a multi millionaire who was an actor on a TV show called Degrassi. he didnt get a diploma because he was a child actor, not because rap influenced him not to.

Drake is the very definition of a poser from your point of view, and i say your point of view because in the lyrics you speak of, he does not call people who pursue education losers.

You are talking about the song "Crew Love"

and the exact lyric is

Quote:
I guess we’ll never know what Harvard gets us
But seeing my family have it all
Took the place of that desire for diplomas on the wall
he is basically saying he is already rich and that getting a college degree doesnt help him. but hey, you decided to make that line mean something completely different.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
BET was better in the 90's. Nowadays I like TV One better.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 PM

334 posts, read 454,737 times
LOL. The original BET founder sold out and sold the company for millions or billions of dollars and now it is white and Jewish owned. I don't know why they acting upset when they don't own BET anymore. BET has not been black owned for many years. It's been white and Jewish owned for years. There is no need for blacks or the original black founders to get mad. Originality cannot be compromised for the dollar and they clearly and obviously chose the dollar over originality and integrity.

And besides whites and people of ALL races have negative and trashy and positive and classy roles so and a diverse body and variety of portrayals so why is it when black roles exist, blacks and others argue it or single it out as degrading or racist or minstrel like? For example, if a black person gets a positive role, blacks say it's too fake and not authentic, then give them a ghetto or negative trash roll and they say it's racist, when they were complaining about having creativity and fun and freedom and being represented. You can't have it both ways and complain just to complain.

Just like with black females saying they want more inclusion and sexual freedom on screen and being free but then turn around and call it degrading and disparaging to blacks and women, then when they give them roles that portray the opposite they complain that it's controlling their freedom and if you don't include blacks or peopleof color, they say oh it's racist and say oh it's still racist. So it seems like either way you can't please black people or people at times. They'll complain and come up with hypocritical clap trap arguments ALL the damn time contradicting themselves and trying to spin it and have it both ways. It just never ends. *Sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies