Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 12:52 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
As for Tracy Martin, the jury could see that as "beating up on" the victim's father. I don't think it would take much to cause the father to cry. Generally juries don't like attacks on family members of victims. O'Mara took a huge risk in his cross of the mother.

I wonder what the defense's pathologist will have to say about the distance of the gun from the gunshot wound based on having reviewed the M.E.'s work/report? Did Rao also testify about the distance of the gun from the wound? I missed her testimony. I saw parts of Bao's testimony, and heard him say "intermediate" but was unaware if his testimony remained the same on that issue.
I don't recall Rao testifying about the gunshot distance.

contrary to your prediction and consistent with mine, Bao didn't get more specific than 'intermediate range' [0.4 "-4']. He said if the stippling (?) is a certain size it is intermediate range and that's all he does for the autopsy. 'Not his job' to narrow down the distance.

I'm no O'Mara/West, but I'd take my chances on dad crying to get on the record he didn't identify the voice as his son's 1st time around. Maybe dad will fake cry, and juries hate that.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This. ^^^^

And if anybody doubts that, go back and watch the Hannity interview where Hannity asks him if he was aware of SYG and Zimmerman gets that big grin on his face, looks Hannity right in the eye, and says, "no, sir."

Hannity acted doubtful and asked him again and again Zimmerman looked him in the eye and said, "no."

No hesitation, no blinking or averting his eyes, just a big, stupid grin on his face while he lied through his teeth.

Pathological is right.

How anyone in their right mind can believe his version of the events of that night is beyond me.
And it could also be his way to deal with something that could eat you up from the inside out couldn't it?
Or is it that everyone has to think,act and deal with things the exact same way? Kind of like some soldiers after they've had to kill.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:58 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You're quick to point out unreliability of eye witnesses when testimony tends to support gz. In the next breath you find 'high-pitched voice screaming' lady and 'I judged size by pics on tv ' lady and Rachel credible.

I'm sure you have reasons for that other than the obvious --- you like the anti-not guilty testimony.
I thought the various witnesses both contradicted each other and corroborated each other. However, I do NOT believe that ONE eye witness will carry the verdict in this case.

The jury, (as we individuals out here) gets to determine which witnesses we find reliable/credible and which we don't. I don't remember EVER making any statements of support regarding the woman who judged the size of Trayvon by the pictures on TV. Maybe I did, but I don't remember it. And at this point, I would not rely on that witnesses testimony as being accurate at all. One point I'm making that you seem to miss is that eye witnesses, because they're human, and we all have faulty memories to some extent, and our memories are influenced by our past experiences, MAKE MISTAKES in what they think they saw/heard. It's about memory and past experience. Now, I would take a little more seriously a tape recording of a witness who was witnessing/hearing the event as it is taking place, however, even then perception is influenced by our past experiences. The woman who testified about the higher pitched voice, IMO, had past experience with teenagers which gave her a little more credibility in her perception of what she was hearing.

Bottom line, lots of testimony has been presented by the State and cross examined by the Defense, and the jury will determine the amount of weight they give their testimony and how credible they think those witnesses were.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:59 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,409 times
I believe there is plenty of evidence that Zim lied, I can only hope the jury acknowleges it.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Technical FACT: If the case had not met their burden in presenting evidence of the elements of the charge, the case would have been "thrown out" and a verdict of acquittal would have been given by the Judge when the Defense made that motion after the State rested.

What "ideological blinders"? What do you see as my "ideology" which is blinding me to what I'm seeing and hearing in this trial? I'm a DEFENSE investigator, that means I work for defense lawyers.
And you also know that cases are brought for reasons other than the defendant is/was guilty. What's telling is that the cops that investigated this 1.Didn't feel there was enough evidence to charge him. 2. At least one was pressured into changing reports until a chargeable one was written 3.Testimony from the investigating detective that he believed G.Z. was telling the truth.
The third point is the most telling as it was stated by someone who investigated this every day and was on the front lines, unlike the other States "witness".

This case was a racially/media forced case from the beginning which would've quietly gone away had there been no cameras to play to,elections to be won or ratings to be had.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't recall Rao testifying about the gunshot distance.

contrary to your prediction and consistent with mine, Bao didn't get more specific than 'intermediate range' [0.4 "-4']. He said if the stippling (?) is a certain size it is intermediate range and that's all he does for the autopsy. 'Not his job' to narrow down the distance.

I'm no O'Mara/West, but I'd take my chances on dad crying to get on the record he didn't identify the voice as his son's 1st time around. Maybe dad will fake cry, and juries hate that.
Then let's see what the defense pathologist says.

IMO, you'd be taking a huge risk. I don't think dad does "fake" crying, but don't know. Yes, it's very easy for a jury to pick up on real emotions in a courtroom, so "fake crying" would not be advisable.

IMO, the most critical thing about the screaming on the tape is that it STOPPED immediately after the gunshot was heard. I think it's pretty easy to make the case that if someone were shot through the heart at "contact" range, they would no longer be able to scream and the screaming would immediately stop. However, not so easy to explain WHY after having shot someone and claiming that he didn't know he had hit his target, why the person with the gun would STOP screaming if he were the one screaming all along. If he didn't know he hit his target, wouldn't he still need help, and wouldn't he still have that adrenaline rush from "fear" required to scream like that for help, help, help?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:10 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Only using the facts of this case, can anyone give the states version of events that night? At this point the states version of what happened should be clear.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And you also know that cases are brought for reasons other than the defendant is/was guilty. What's telling is that the cops that investigated this 1.Didn't feel there was enough evidence to charge him. 2. At least one was pressured into changing reports until a chargeable one was written 3.Testimony from the investigating detective that he believed G.Z. was telling the truth.
The third point is the most telling as it was stated by someone who investigated this every day and was on the front lines, unlike the other States "witness".

This case was a racially/media forced case from the beginning which would've quietly gone away had there been no cameras to play to,elections to be won or ratings to be had.
Actually, no, I don't support the belief that a lot of cases are charged for "political purposes." Some, yes. Included in that "some" would be death penalty cases. Prosecutors do indeed use their records for sending people to death row in their political campaigns when they run for offices like Attorney General of Florida, for State Attorney, and others as well. This is a political case, I agree. However, I believe our justice system is the best there is out there, and I'm not saying that in a Pollyanna-ish way. Once you believe the justice system is so corrupt it is always about politics, IMO, you're just lost. Try to find another country with a better system and consider relocation.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-06-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 01:20 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
He was neighborhood watch, he is supposed to monitor someone he doesn't recognize who is walking in the dark and in the rain.

Listen to these ridiculous people in on this interview. They want to continue with the profiling claim as though the facts mean nothing. They overlook the history of break-ins at this community complex, and continue pushing racism.

Good grief, look at who is documented as being involved in the break-ins. Are we going to start looking for 80-year old grandmothers or are we going to look for who are consistently involving themselves here in crime?

"It is what it is. In our community, we had 7 burglaries in 11 months and all of them were perpetrated by young black males. That's documented. Also on the night of February 2, George was on his way out walking his dog and there was a young black male prowling my house getting ready to burglarize it. And due to his diligent effort, that burglary was stopped in progress. So, therefore, henceforth, we forward it to February 26, George is on his way out to Target, to pick up lunch items to make lunch that week and low and behold, he sees TM up in my house on private property. It had a tendency to be all black males that were committing these burglaries, so I am not lumping all black males. Just particularly the ones that were robbing my neighborhood."

Zimmerman defender makes Behavior Bureau debut | HLNtv.com
Agree. My daughter lives in this same community (but on the next loop over) and they all basically know each other and who visits whom.

So when you have a stranger walking in a weird way in the neighborhood on a rainy night + a recent rash of burglaries = a bad combination and unfortunately a death resulted.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
I believe there is plenty of evidence that Zim lied, I can only hope the jury acknowleges it.
I agree. And I'd think that it's entirely possible that this jury will be able to see the Forest (Zimmerman's lack of credibility) in this case rather than just all the trees which have been thrown up. In the beginning I thought the Defense would be a smoke screen, and I still think that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies