Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times

Advertisements

There isn't the slightest suggestion or hint of coercion alluded to in the text of the article; merely the fact that she's doing something most American women wouldn't choose to do.

This thread is why I truly hate America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:56 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
the difference is here you have a choice, there you dont.

she most likely was sold to him.
The child brides of Warren Jeffs had a choice? News to me.....

Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The child brides of Warren Jeffs had a choice? News to me.....
Of course, they chose him. Who could resist his dashing good looks?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:39 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Of course, they chose him. Who could resist his dashing good looks?
Where's the vomit emoticon when I need one?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
We can't save the world. This stuff and much worse happens every second we breathe. I was coerced into marriage by my religion and I survived (albeit with some horrible ramifications for all involved). If this is the sort of thing that ignites you to passion for a change, you should work with organizations that foster more equality and edification for women. That will hi or this girl (if she is unhappy about her lot in life) then trying to "save" individuals.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
this is part of my internal struggle. part of me says let them do what they want, i dont want to get involved. the other part of me says we need to go in and save these women.

look at her face, she doesnt want this and has no chance of ever getting out. she may end up killing herself down the road to free herself.

Iraqi farmer, 92, and father of 16 marries for a second time... to a woman 70 YEARS younger than him | Mail Online
You don't know what the woman is thinking. You must understand that his is a full grown woman..from another culture. It's really none of your business what they do. "We need to go in and save these woman" Great...America dragged Iraq right back into the stone age...great saviors they are.

End up killing her self? How do you know that...Your ageism is as profound as your sexism and dislike of males who you assume are too old. This old man might be a kindly person...who will treat her well and who knows...He might still be a great lover. Those feminist western eccentric seem to think that patriarchy is some horrifically evil institution...How do you know that...What if this was a 65 year old woman who took on a 22 year old lover and husband? Would you want to go in and "save" the poor young man? Not likely...The picture here shows prosperity - cultural wealth and stability....besides..This beautiful young woman will certainly out live the old guy and live well for the rest of her life..........I don't see a problem here...In fact I wish I could be the old guy..and die in my bed with a hot beauty.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
Quote:
this is part of my internal struggle. part of me says let them do what they want, i dont want to get involved. the other part of me says we need to go in and save these women.

look at her face, she doesnt want this and has no chance of ever getting out. she may end up killing herself down the road to free herself.

Iraqi farmer, 92, and father of 16 marries for a second time... to a woman 70 YEARS younger than him | Mail Online
As far as her face goes she might not be sad at all. A Muslim Albanian womantold me you aren't supposed to smile because you're supposed to be sad about leaving your family for a husband. We shouldn't assume. Widows have more freedom than unmarred virgins. Being married to a man that old might be her ticket to freedom in a few short years. Also, how much sex do you think he is going need? This might be a good deal for this woman.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
If this is the sort of thing that ignites you to passion for a change, you should work with organizations that foster more equality and edification for women.
Good point!

There are some great organizations that address child brides (not at issue in the OP):

Our Work | The Elders

Girl Up Homepage | GirlUp | United Nations Foundation | Uniting Girls to Change the World

Old 07-06-2013, 01:29 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
This woman married an 89 year old man, why didn't anyone rescue her??

Such a cold society that we ignore a women in need like this just because of the way she looks, pitiful

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 05:28 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Hey if the honeymoon doesn't kill him, I wish them all the luck. If it does kill him, at least he'll go with a smile on his face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies