Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:06 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
2.75 sounds great! Well, I guess the oil companies have once again fooled us into allowing them to boost prices by 2 bucks just to lower it by a buck so we can feel like we're saving money.
Well, at least here, unleaded never got to $3 at any station that I saw on my 20-mile drive to work. I know in other places it has.. but, I am curious to know (of those higher places) what was the gas price before the spike?

Before the spike, I filled up for around 2.49 or so - only about a quarter difference to me.

In fact, I'd actually appreciate a link to someplace that shows the tax breakdown per state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 01:11 PM

333 posts, read 467,567 times
Default Gas Prices - WHAT?!?!?!

I'm just venting here - but I'm surprised there's not more outrage regarding gas prices. Here in Connecticut, it now costs me $48 bucks to fill up my Honda Accord from empty.

WHY IS THERE NOT A PUBLIC OUTCRY?!?! This is an attack on American's wallets. Highway robbery.

Thank God this hillbilly we call our president will be gone in Jan. 09. Still, a LOT of damage can be done in 13 months.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Default Why not tap the oil reserves?

Hillary Clinton urges bush to tap reserves. Bill Clinton released 30 milliion bbls from the reserves before the 2000 election but was criticized for using it to help Gore.

Print Story: Clinton urges Bush to tap oil reserves on Yahoo! News (broken link)
Clips:
Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 04:30 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
He tapped reserves last year to artificially lower prices. I don't believe they've yet to take it back. In the meantime, the government is going to have to pay much higher prices to replace those reserves. The move will only work to lower prices temporarily.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 PM

41 posts, read 237,141 times
Default You could be driving in Canada!!!

Although I agree that 2.39 a gallon for the price of gas in the United States is highway robbery, here in canada where I live, the price of gas is 4.16 a gallon. It makes you think twice before driving around and indirectly probably contributes to a greener environment as people don't want to be driving without a good reason. Nevertheless, I still think that this is outrageous given the fact that a lot of it comes from Canada.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:08 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Well, at least here, unleaded never got to $3 at any station that I saw on my 20-mile drive to work. I know in other places it has.. but, I am curious to know (of those higher places) what was the gas price before the spike?

Before the spike, I filled up for around 2.49 or so - only about a quarter difference to me.

In fact, I'd actually appreciate a link to someplace that shows the tax breakdown per state.
Kuharai, i'm jealous of you. I live about 4 hours from HR in Northern Virginia and i'm just a hair from $3 a gallon ($2.97)

Two weeks ago gas was $2.68 to $2.76.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:56 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times
Unhappy News, Oil Prices: It Gets Worse

Oil prices hit a record high of $97 a barrel on Tuesday, but the next generation of consumers could look back on that price with envy. The dire predictions of a key report on international oil supplies released Wednesday suggest that oil prices could move irreversibly over the $100-a-barrel threshold in the not too distant future, as the global economy faces a serious energy shortage.

Oil Prices: It Gets Worse - TIME

Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
I'm just venting here - but I'm surprised there's not more outrage regarding gas prices. Here in Connecticut, it now costs me $48 bucks to fill up my Honda Accord from empty.

WHY IS THERE NOT A PUBLIC OUTCRY?!?! This is an attack on American's wallets. Highway robbery.
I'm not defending bush, but Congress needs to learn multi-tasking like the rest of us. They ought to be able to handle more than two issues: housing crisis and Iraq. Some reasons why congress won't act:
Clips:
Print Story: Congress exhibits less outrage over gas on Yahoo! News (broken link)

When gasoline prices first hit $3 a gallon in 2005, irate lawmakers quickly assembled top oil executives for a public grilling. Pump prices are again above $3, yet the outcry from Congress is barely a whimper by comparison

The change in tone since Nov. 9, 2005 ... reflects an altered landscape in terms of energy economics and politics, analysts said.

• The American public is more accustomed to high prices, despite the financial pinch.

• Oil industry profits are retreating from year-ago levels as the soaring cost of crude crimps refining revenue.

• The outrage many Democrats expressed back then over high energy prices has been tempered by the fact that their party now controls Congress, making finger pointing more difficult.

• Plus, lawmakers have their hands full with a worsening housing crisis, a four and a half year old war in Iraq, and spending bills that have yet to be completed.

...But unlike the Senate hearing two years ago that focused on record profits, oil companies are not being blamed as much by Congress this time. Exxon Mobil Corp., Chevron Corp. and others recently posted declines in quarterly earnings due to weak refining margins, the difference between what refiners pay for oil and what they're paid for the products they make from it.
Because the public recognizes rising prices are not directly controlled by Congress, or oil companies, and therefore lack any "obvious political fix," there's less pressure on lawmakers to hold hearings,...
Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., is leading calls for the White House to release oil from the nation's emergency reserve, accusing President Bush of "wheeling and dealing with oil companies while American consumers are reeling from dealing with $3 gas and heating oil."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies