Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,167,658 times

Advertisements

Yes, You Should Be Totally Outraged By the Farm Bill - Yahoo! Finance

Republicans will never win back the white house at this rate. Lets see, the last bill didn't pass because the Dems wouldn't vote for it, and some republicans thought the cuts weren't deep enough. Now this new bill adds extra subsidies for farmers. The corporate farmers, such as Monsanto, don't need a @#$# cent!

So once again, government spending is okay as long as it is enriching the lives of those who are already well off. I believe both the food stamp and farm subsidies should be cut. But there is something wrong when members of Congress can vote on a bill, where they PERSONALLY will be enriched by its passage. Some of them have farms and will benefit from this legislation. It seems that they think they are hurting the "stereotype" of a person of color being on food stamps. They are hurting a lot of rural America, and elderly. I would respect you more if you wanted to cut everything, but this bill is packed with pork!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:04 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
Which is why no one can trust the Republican party (or the Democratic party either) to fix the problems that both parties (who are in the pockets of Monsanto) created. It's time for new blood.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I've posted that Farm Bill database of receivers before on this forum.

80% of the Farm Bill is food stamps.

The other 20% goes to "farmers" that live in the expensive east coast and west coast cities and probably never had dirt under their fingernails and couldn't tell you growing sorghum from growing corn.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
But farmers actually support food stamps as do grocery chains because it is assured sales of food items. Much of the farmer bill that needs to be change is land owners who are not farmers being paid to not grow crops etc. Both democrats and rupcians have introduced farm bills they knew wouldn't pass; its politics of vote retention. Happens all the time in poltics as well has promising things who design a bill to fail by.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

The other 20% goes to "farmers" that live in the expensive east coast and west coast cities and probably never had dirt under their fingernails and couldn't tell you growing sorghum from growing corn.
Michelle Bachmann lives on the east coast?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Yes, You Should Be Totally Outraged By the Farm Bill - Yahoo! Finance

Republicans will never win back the white house at this rate. Lets see, the last bill didn't pass because the Dems wouldn't vote for it, and some republicans thought the cuts weren't deep enough. Now this new bill adds extra subsidies for farmers. The corporate farmers, such as Monsanto, don't need a @#$# cent!

So once again, government spending is okay as long as it is enriching the lives of those who are already well off. I believe both the food stamp and farm subsidies should be cut. But there is something wrong when members of Congress can vote on a bill, where they PERSONALLY will be enriched by its passage. Some of them have farms and will benefit from this legislation. It seems that they think they are hurting the "stereotype" of a person of color being on food stamps. They are hurting a lot of rural America, and elderly. I would respect you more if you wanted to cut everything, but this bill is packed with pork!
" The corporate farmers, such as Monsanto, don't need a @#$# cent!"

Well with that statement based on all your vast inside financial information and no bias whatsoever, why should anyone bother to read the rest of your "informed" analysis?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Michelle Bachmann lives on the east coast?
She's a small fish in the sea of who gets how much $$$$.
Not even in the top 20 of receivers of money.

in 2012 the big money went to corn subsidies.
9 "farmers" received over $2 billion in both direct payments and insurance premium payments.
So not only did we subsidize their growing, we paid the insurance to cover their losses 100%.

Here's a better one...we spent $142 million in sorghum subsidies in 2012 yet have 0 recipients of that money.

For the past 4 years all we do is pay them direct and pay their insurance premiums.

EWG Farm Subsidy Database

Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Just a partisan rant with no substance.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
She's a small fish in the sea of who gets how much $$$$.
Not even in the top 20 of receivers of money.

in 2012 the big money went to corn subsidies.
9 "farmers" received over $2 billion in both direct payments and insurance premium payments.
So not only did we subsidize their growing, we paid the insurance to cover their losses 100%.

Here's a better one...we spent $142 million in sorghum subsidies in 2012 yet have 0 recipients of that money.

For the past 4 years all we do is pay them direct and pay their insurance premiums.

EWG Farm Subsidy Database
Thanks for the link and I was surprised that some of my neighbors and people I know are getting subsidies. Some of the names I came across the people are so rich I wonder why the broke a$$ gvt is giving them money. Also saw some names of people who are not farming a dam thing. I am going to find out how to get on this gravy train at least I have a good size garden and I do sell small amount of eggs

Old 07-12-2013, 02:01 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:

The GOP took food stamps out of the bill and added more pork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies