Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,335,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well I remember reading an article about it a ways back on gas prices. I may be wrong. Don't you folks power most of your vehicles with syrup anyway?
The last time I filled up, I paid $1.43 a litre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,439,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The last time I filled up, I paid $1.43 a litre.

It's a $1.34 p/litre down this way right now. I'm just glad its hot outside. My Jeep runs like **** when its cold and the syrup gets all thick.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,335,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
It's a $1.34 p/litre down this way right now. I'm just glad its hot outside. My Jeep runs like **** when its cold and the syrup gets all thick.
I'm glad everything I need is within walking distance, and I really like our public transit. My car is 13 years old and only has 57,000 kms on it. (That's about 35.5K to y'all). Still looks and runs like it's brand new. I'd buy another Tiburon in a heartbeat.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,831 times
Ethanol in our gas is a big factor. Using corn for Ethanol is Stupid. Sugar Cane would be far better and even better would be Switch Grass. Algae seems to be the best but getting the quantity is problem at the moment I think.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Anyone else thrilled to read a thread that is not about GZ?
You have no idea. Lol

Old 07-18-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Exxon, Chevron Made $71 Billion Profit In 2012 As Consumers Paid Record Gas Prices | ThinkProgress

Oil corporations are making near record profits. Could this be a cause of high gas prices?

But since republicans will not raise taxes on large corporations and use that money to give regular Americans relief, and since republicans are against any regulation on what oil corporations can charge for gas, I guess republicans are forced to blame Obama and the EPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
In 2011, Exxon paid just 13 percent in taxes, while many small businesses are paying over 30%.

Why not make Exxon pay over 30% like small businesses have to pay, and then that money could be used to give regular Americans some kind of relief?

Answer: Republicans won't do that because it would be "income redistribution."
First, sure politicians benefit from this. On BOTH sides. Don't be fooled.

Second, A big reason their tax is lower is because of research and exploration. As well as the costs of drilling and all the other operations of getting the oil.

Oil companies overseas are subsidized by the government to help with the above costs. In the U.S., they get no subsidies. All those costs have to come out of their profits.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,193,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
True, but Europeans can get cheaper cars that get more mpg than us. We have to spend 2X for a car that gets maybe half the mpg Europeans get.
Huh? Cars in Europe are not cheaper. A VW Golf starts at 16,495 Pounds in the UK. That is $25,000 at today's rates. You can buy a Golf for less than that in the US today.

Many European cars have smaller engines, or have diesels. They typically do get better fuel economy - but they have slightly less performance. European buyers NEED better fuel economy when they pay $8/gal for fuel.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,686,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Ethanol in our gas is a big factor. Using corn for Ethanol is Stupid. Sugar Cane would be far better and even better would be Switch Grass. Algae seems to be the best but getting the quantity is problem at the moment I think.
The point is that we do not need government mandating any level of ethanol in our gasoline.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,686,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Huh? Cars in Europe are not cheaper. A VW Golf starts at 16,495 Pounds in the UK. That is $25,000 at today's rates. You can buy a Golf for less than that in the US today.

Many European cars have smaller engines, or have diesels. They typically do get better fuel economy - but they have slightly less performance. European buyers NEED better fuel economy when they pay $8/gal for fuel.
...and the politics in Europe is pushing plant based biofuels, in there silly notion that it will save the planet and reduce negative environmental impacts.

EU politicians on Thursday backed a new limit on crop-based biofuels, to fix the bloc’s policy on transport fuels once thought to protect the climate but now suspected of doing more harm than conventional oil.

Most recently, a study by the Joint Research Centre (JRC) – the Commission’s in-house research body – confirmed the findings of earlier EU studies that biodiesel made from crops such as rapeseed does more harm to the climate than conventional diesel.

Finally: European Union votes to downsize their quest for biofuel « Hot Air

I remember reading an article where people living in Africa were experiencing major food shortages, and growing all around them were huge farms with crops for biodiesel, all owned and operated by the EU. Literally putting fuel from food in their gas tanks, while people were starving around them.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:22 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,270,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Here are 10 cars that start off at £10,000 or $13,000. All of the cars listed get at least 80mpg, so paying more for gas is a wash compared to the USA.

Most economical cars | CarBuyer

Here are the best non electric cars available in the USA. We pay more for the car, get cheaper gas, and get less mpg. Europeans pay less for the car, more for gas, and get more mpg.

EPA Releases Top 10 Most Fuel-Efficient Models of 2013 (In Two Flavors) : TreeHugger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies