Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
One difference I see is with the actual Hipsters themselves....not the perception of the. The hippies in the 60's and 70's railed against the war MUCH more zealously. Now? It's kind of like a passing thought. And ESPECIALLY since the Obama admin they have all but went back into the woodwork.

Today's hipsters are more like ambiguous druggies that just follow trends. No substance to them.
Actually they are not into drugs. They are more into art and creative freedom. Why to you pretend to know what they are about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:09 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
One difference I see is with the actual Hipsters themselves....not the perception of the. The hippies in the 60's and 70's railed against the war MUCH more zealously. Now? It's kind of like a passing thought. And ESPECIALLY since the Obama admin they have all but went back into the woodwork.

Today's hipsters are more like ambiguous druggies that just follow trends. No substance to them.
It was because of the draft. People who served in Afghanistan and Iraq signed up. The vast majority of kids in Vietnam didn't--they were forced to go--and that's why there was such huge opposition by young people. If we'd drafted kids for Iraq and Afghanistan I think you would have seen the same thing.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
A lot of the hippies were posers, many became yuppies

Some became politicians and later ran government worse than what made them rail against it in the first place.

They became "The Man" only much deeper in making everyone conform.....to their ideas.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Actually they are not into drugs. They are more into art and creative freedom. Why to you pretend to know what they are about.
That's just it--most of the "hipster kids" I know are really into music and art, and they're focused on their education. They're not druggies, etc. I don't know where some of of the people here come up with this stuff...

Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Some hippies had an ideology, whether you agree(d) with it or not. Today's hipsters are more of a fashion thing as far as I can tell.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yea OKAY BUDDY.....let's talk at Coachella about it.

The drugged out hippies in the 60's were about the same thing..

I know, that's why...not being pretentious at all.

You aren't talking to a hick from middle america.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It was because of the draft. People who served in Afghanistan and Iraq signed up. The vast majority of kids in Vietnam didn't--they were forced to go--and that's why there was such huge opposition by young people. If we'd drafted kids for Iraq and Afghanistan I think you would have seen the same thing.
That's very trivial...

People are still being dragged to death unnecessarily. It's a reason to protest. People know much more about the logistics of why we go to war today. There is much more information and cause for unrest.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
What's so counter culture about Mac computers and $600 bicyles
Okay, now I feel offended. I have one of those 400 dollar bicycles. It's a German brand. Unlike many common bikes, it actually has a comfortable seat and wheel position (especially for a tall person like me). It's a mountain bike too, and has rather good shocks.

Oh, and btw, I use OpenBSD as my operating system, on a thinkpad laptop that's several years old.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
It was 1967 when I jumped off the hierarchy.

Been off ever since.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
That's very trivial...

People are still being dragged to death unnecessarily. It's a reason to protest. People know much more about the logistics of why we go to war today. There is much more information and cause for unrest.
What do you mean, "it's very trivial?" I was part of that generation, and I have family and friends who went to Vietnam. I lived through it. My husband had a high draft lottery number (and he had a college deferment before that) so fortunately they ended the war before he had to go. It wasn't trivial to the kids who were dragged to fight in a war that made no sense, that they didn't support, that it became more obvious by the day that we would never win, and where they saw their friends go home in body bags or crippled for life. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Kids today serve BY CHOICE. There are no protests because if you go, its because you signed up. People in the 60s and 70s protested our involvement in Vietnam because they didn't want to die (or see their friends and family die) for something they didn't support or believe in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies