Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,933 times

Advertisements

The most religious area of the country is the south and that is the same area where slavery was most abundant. I'm not religious, but from what I understand, being a christian is support to drive your morals, behavior, your entire cultural outlook.

How do you reconcile that with the rampant slavery and jim crow era all the way up until it was legally struck down? The whole thing doesn't make sense and makes me understand religion, or the role religion plays in peoples lives even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
I am no theologian. But aren't many, perhaps most, religions around the world guilty of massive hypocrisy? Haven't civilizations that were guided by religions all been guilty of massive atrocities at one time or another?

Whether a crusade, jihad, slavery, or a world war, they have all been guilty of crimes against humanity at the same time they advocated love of all mankind.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
At least during slavery, the North was far more religious than the South. The whole Bible Belt thing in the South didn't actually start until around the turn of the century and then grew from there primarily as Baptists. As to how Baptists were able to align the concept of Jim Crow and their religion, I have no idea. Not a Baptist and have no plans to be one.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,460,508 times
I'm more perplexed at how the 'religious right' has merged Christianity with rampant capitalism, selfishness, and intolerance, blames poor people for their situation, and turned it's back on compassion and help thy neighbor.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
The most religious area of the country is the south and that is the same area where slavery was most abundant. I'm not religious, but from what I understand, being a christian is support to drive your morals, behavior, your entire cultural outlook.

How do you reconcile that with the rampant slavery and jim crow era all the way up until it was legally struck down? The whole thing doesn't make sense and makes me understand religion, or the role religion plays in peoples lives even less.
During that time it was thought that blacks were sub-human, and to primitive a race to be able to learn.

Some effort was given to breeding as well as is done for horses and dogs. This wasn't any American thing as slavery under any idea of American rule lasted just 76 years.

This idea persisted from time of antiquity in Europe, the Middle East and any places black slave ended up. Blacks fought wars and the slaves were just the spoils of war.l So slavery began by blacks selling other blacks to the Muslims and slavery of blacks is alive and well in the Middle East today.

Of course today it is the USA that is to be blamed a country that didn't even exist at the dawn of slavery. blacks have been enslaved for more than 4,000 years. I have no idea when slavery first began, but can find evidence at 4,000 years with no problem.

Blacks were not and are not the only race to be enslaved either.
Slavery pre-dates Christianity.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,996,741 times
My family on my dads mothers side were abolitionists and fought for the Union . They were Christians too helping others when they could your point is lost on me when so much was sacrificed to right a wrong? Remember slavery was a southern Democrat institution Republicans are the party of Lincoln liberators of oppression .

Old 07-26-2013, 02:18 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,813 times
Religion period is used for keeping people, especially certain people, in bondage so that others can have power over them and others can have it easier in life. Worldwide, religion has been used to take away the rights of others, so certain people can have power and has always been that way.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post

Why did Christians create the Republican party, put Lincoln in the White House, and go to war against the South to end slavery?

Jim Crow laws were horrible, and a testament to how government intervention always ends badly. The laws had nothing to do with religion. I'm outwardly white, but if I had lived in the south (under Jim Crow), I would have been segregated.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...7/Jim-Crow-law

This a good page to brush up on Jim Crow history.

Google has made the original book about Jim Crow c.1839 available for free.

https://play.google.com/books

search for "The History of Jim Crow"

Last edited by steven_h; 07-26-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Because organized religion is and always has been a highly fallible social construct susceptible to use as a means of control over others.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:35 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,168 times
There were actually two competing camps within American Christianity regarding how to justify slavery. It was in fact one of the great religious debates of the 18th century. The two groups were called the "Polygenists" and the "Monogenists"

The Monogenists ("one origin") claimed that blacks were being enslaved as a punishment by God resulting from the "Curse of Ham" (more correctly, the "Curse of Canaan") in Genesis 9. Monogenist Christians considered blacks to be of the race of "Ham" or "Hamites," and blamed the curse for the color of their skin and their subservient position to whites.

The Polygenists ("many origin") took a harder line and insisted that blacks were not even human beings, but instead a different species of animal... specifically beasts of the fields as created on the 6th day of Creation Week.

Neither group doubted black inferiority or the morality of slavery. They just had different Biblical rationale for the belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies