Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A tax on food is immoral.
Tax on raw foods may be immoral. Tax on doritos, marinara and other prepared foods is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Tax on raw foods may be immoral. Tax on doritos, marinara and other prepared foods is not.
A tax on food is immoral. Not everyone has the time or ability to prepare every meal for themselves so it's immoral to tax someone's food.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I know this question may sound outrageous and straight out ludicrous. It's even a long shot for me to even go there about taxing our food to fund Obama Care. But the reason, I say tax the food is because most American's diet and health are strictly related to bad eating habits. Since a large number of American are clinically obese, wouldn't it make sense to tax the food that Americans eat to fund Obama Care? I ask this question because eventually bad eating is going to cause them to be a burden on our health system (costing tax payers billions anyway) from getting high medical cost chronic diseases that result from poor eating.
How about a 3% tax on the idiots who voted for Obama, that would make more sense.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
A tax on food is immoral. Not everyone has the time or ability to prepare every meal for themselves so it's immoral to tax someone's food.
It takes 15 minutes to put together Rachael Ray's Chickpea salad using raw foods. That's less time than it takes to make boxed mac n cheese. There's no reason why food designed to be luxurious and convenient should not be taxed (at the state level).

Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
It takes 15 minutes to put together Rachael Ray's Chickpea salad using raw foods. That's less time than it takes to make boxed mac n cheese. There's no reason why food designed to be luxurious and convenient should not be taxed (at the state level).
Other than taxing food being immoral. But I understand that you would like to tax people for not eating foods you approve.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
I'll bet you the chickpea salad costs more.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I know this question may sound outrageous and straight out ludicrous. It's even a long shot for me to even go there about taxing our food to fund Obama Care. But the reason, I say tax the food is because most American's diet and health are strictly related to bad eating habits. Since a large number of American are clinically obese, wouldn't it make sense to tax the food that Americans eat to fund Obama Care? I ask this question because eventually bad eating is going to cause them to be a burden on our health system (costing tax payers billions anyway) from getting high medical cost chronic diseases that result from poor eating.
Why not tax alcohol and cigarettes more?

People need to eat, but they don't need to drink or smoke.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'll bet you the chickpea salad costs more.
My intent is not to tax expensive foods... It's to tax prepared foods. If you're not looking for nutrients (as is the case for someone eating boxed mac n cheese) you can prepare a head of lettuce in under a minute.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Other than taxing food being immoral. But I understand that you would like to tax people for not eating foods you approve.
You're taxing luxury and convenience. I'd even be content with them not taxing the rice-flour in cereal and just taxing the processing required to make it. It wouldn't be that much different, though.

I must point out that I'm not really for taxing food as I am for removing stupid government subsidies on food.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:17 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
How about a 3% tax on the idiots who voted for Obama, that would make more sense.
You can't be serious especially when you have both repubs and democrats doing the same thing each year---NOTHING!!!. Aren't they about to clash about raising the debt ceiling again? That's what's so stupid to me. Aren't all of us idiots for allowing our government to keep raising the debt ceiling each year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies