Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times

Advertisements

A group of bills moving through California's assembly and senate--including one to create a database for ammunition purchases--could create the strictest gun control laws of any state in the union.

According the San Jose Mercury News, the bills being heard in the state senate on August 12 would create a database of all ammo purchases in the state, "make it crime to have a gun that's not locked up when it's not being carried, and extend the time for which someone is banned from owning a firearm after making a violent threat."
On August 13, another slate of bills will come before the State Assembly. These would ban all semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazines, would "make it a crime to leave a gun unlocked when you're out of the house, and require those who own high capacity magazines to get rid of them."
A bill adding a 10 percent tax to all ammunition purchases is still moving through the legislature as well, although it seems to have lost momentum.
Gun control groups like the Violence Policy Center in Washington, D.C. are hoping that California's new gun control laws will spur Congress to pass more gun control as well.
But National Shooting Sports Foundation's senior vice president and general counsel Larry Keane says that is not going to happen: "While [gun control advocates] may try to reignite their lost momentum, I don't think anything California does is going to affect what Washington does."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 01:33 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
None of this will do a thing to curtail crime.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:34 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by segwaywheeler View Post
good! im all for tight regulation.

Notice that i didnt use the word "ban"? I bet you didnt.
Forcing owners to give up their mags (standard capacity BTW) and BANNING owning them is exactly what a ban means.

It's so stupid. I've got 50 years of reloading supplies so I'll never have to buy ammo if I don't want.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Another feel good bill that will do nothing to solve the real issue. Human violence.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 PM

7,508 posts, read 5,756,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by segwaywheeler View Post
good! im all for tight regulation.

Notice that i didnt use the word "ban"? I bet you didnt.
Liberals don't do well with problem solving do they? I think it has something to do with reduced mental capacity. I really do hate to ask this question but here goes.

What is this going to do to stop evil people from using guns to kill people?

Please don't use the words Bush or Racist in your reply.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:06 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
A group of bills moving through California's assembly and senate--including one to create a database for ammunition purchases--could create the strictest gun control laws of any state in the union.

According the San Jose Mercury News, the bills being heard in the state senate on August 12 would create a database of all ammo purchases in the state, "make it crime to have a gun that's not locked up when it's not being carried, and extend the time for which someone is banned from owning a firearm after making a violent threat."
On August 13, another slate of bills will come before the State Assembly. These would ban all semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazines, would "make it a crime to leave a gun unlocked when you're out of the house, and require those who own high capacity magazines to get rid of them."
A bill adding a 10 percent tax to all ammunition purchases is still moving through the legislature as well, although it seems to have lost momentum.
Gun control groups like the Violence Policy Center in Washington, D.C. are hoping that California's new gun control laws will spur Congress to pass more gun control as well.
But National Shooting Sports Foundation's senior vice president and general counsel Larry Keane says that is not going to happen: "While [gun control advocates] may try to reignite their lost momentum, I don't think anything California does is going to affect what Washington does."
Just another reason for more people to move out.

""make it crime to have a gun that's not locked up when it's not being carried" then they can be held responsible when one of their finest breaks into a house and the owners cannot defend themselves because the gun is locked up and one of the people living there is murdered.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:06 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
A crime to not lock up your gun? What next will the government create centralized gun safe locations where you have to lock up and drop off your arms when you aren't carrying them? More crazy idiotic BS that won't reduce crime but hamper honest citizens ability to defend themselves from criminals. The liberal way.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:10 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
A crime to not lock up your gun? What next will the government create centralized gun safe locations where you have to lock up and drop off your arms when you aren't carrying them?
That's next year.

Patience, they'll get to it.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Hmmm, while to totally disagree with what the State of California is proposing, I have to ask, isn't this exactly what you STATES RIGHTS advocates wanted, States making their own rules? Oh, you mean it should only apply when the rules go Your way, got it.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Hmmm, while to totally disagree with what the State of California is proposing, I have to ask, isn't this exactly what you STATES RIGHTS advocates wanted, States making their own rules? Oh, you mean it should only apply when the rules go Your way, got it.
Isn't it amazing how these people manage to completely ignore the Constitution?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies