Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,748,015 times

Advertisements

No man can limit, restrict or take your rights.... Period.

Liberty.

Ask the second amendment what happens when someone tries to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,803,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No man can limit, restrict or take your rights.... Period.

Liberty.
Including the right to keep anyone you want, off your property. Such as gun owners, if you want.

You can't take his gun away.

But you can ask him to leave.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Shouldn't be long before someone puts together a big sign saying:

----------------------------------------

Everyone in this building is guaranteed to be disarmed, by direction of the building owner.

Burglars, thieves, rapists, and murderers, please do not attack or hurt the people in this building.

Not because they can do anything to stop you, but because we asked nicely. Please?

-------------------------------------

...and puts it up on that building, snaps a few photos for the internet, then takes down the sign and runs like hell before the residents get him for the crime of telling the truth.

Any volunteers?

Wow. I got repped for that one before I finished writing it. Thanx!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,365,692 times
I'd take my guns and skedaddle.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 AM

13,717 posts, read 9,047,493 times
This topic raises some interesting thoughts.

While I also believe in the owner of the apartment building imposing his or her own 'rules', banning guns seems beyond the pale (especially for current residents). I wonder if an insurance company is the underlying culprit?

I assume the apartment building owner carries some type of liability insurance. Perhaps the insurance carrier is asking for the gun ban. I can imagine a case where a resident of the apartment building injures or kills another resident, with the injured resident, or survivors, suing the apartment owner for negligence in allowing residents to possess guns. I believe that many apartment buildings forbid fireworks to be brought inside the building, on the same general principle.

This reminds me of years ago: I was a helper to a friend who worked for an apartment building, in maintenance. A fire broke out in an apartment. Turns out that the people living in said apartment had just immigrated from India. They did not know how to work a stove, so they built a campfire on the carpeted floor of the living room, thoughtfully knocking out a window pane to serve as a make-shift chimney. I believe the dish they were cooking was ruined, as was one-third of the apartment building.

It was soon thereafter that I moved out of my own apartment building into a house, and I have felt safer ever since.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,365,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
A fire broke out in an apartment. Turns out that the people living in said apartment had just immigrated from India. They did not know how to work a stove, so they built a campfire on the carpeted floor of the living room, thoughtfully knocking out a window pane to serve as a make-shift chimney. I believe the dish they were cooking was ruined, as was one-third of the apartment building.
LOL you're kidding!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:46 AM

13,717 posts, read 9,047,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
LOL you're kidding!
I wish I was! I see you are in Richardson: this happened in Denton.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:

While I also believe in the owner of the apartment building imposing his or her own 'rules', banning guns seems beyond the pale (especially for current residents). I wonder if an insurance company is the underlying culprit?

I assume the apartment building owner carries some type of liability insurance. Perhaps the insurance carrier is asking for the gun ban.
They ain't seen nothin' yet.

If the residents give up their guns, then a month later there's a home invasion where one or more of them is injured or killed...

...the building owner and his insurance company ain't seen what real "liability" is, yet. But they will, quickly.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,165,950 times
If I lived there I would tell the manager I do have a gun, its always loaded, and I would like for him to come and try and take it. And unless the lease that I signed specifically banned firearms I would tell him to kiss my ass, and if he tried to evict I would sue his/her ass in court.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM

78,713 posts, read 60,892,997 times
Quote:

I assume the apartment building owner carries some type of liability insurance. Perhaps the insurance carrier is asking for the gun ban. I can imagine a case where a resident of the apartment building injures or kills another resident, with the injured resident, or survivors, suing the apartment owner for negligence in allowing residents to possess guns. I believe that many apartment buildings forbid fireworks to be brought inside the building, on the same general principle.

This reminds me of years ago: I was a helper to a friend who worked for an apartment building, in maintenance. A fire broke out in an apartment. Turns out that the people living in said apartment had just immigrated from India. They did not know how to work a stove, so they built a campfire on the carpeted floor of the living room, thoughtfully knocking out a window pane to serve as a make-shift chimney. I believe the dish they were cooking was ruined, as was one-third of the apartment building.

It was soon thereafter that I moved out of my own apartment building into a house, and I have felt safer ever since.
Yep. Good points.

There are all kinds of crazy things that people can do in apartments creating liability for themselves and the owner. You've got meth labs toxins and explosions, people with exotic snakes (imagine finding a cobra in your hallway? It's happened....), discharged firearms going through walls, turning their bathtub on...forgetting about it and leaving for a few days....

Good move getting your own place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies