Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 09:43 PM

530 posts, read 1,360,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Where are the black upper income (non gentrified) neighborhoods throughout NYC? I don't believe NYC really has any.

There are however black upper income neighborhoods in MD (Prince Georges County) and in Atlanta, GA. I'm sure there are many more in other locations as well, but NYC can not be counted, because there are no true black upper income areas there.
Addisleigh Park in SE Queens is a high-income black area in NYC. It's a relatively small area but it fits the bill.

If you don't believe me then you can google maps the area. It reminds me of a black version of Douglaston and many of the upper class areas in northern Queens and even northwestern long island.

BTW: How do you define "upper income"? What is your criteria?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post

Many that are still within the city live in Cambria Heights, Laurelton, Rosedale, Addisleigh Park-which is straight up rich, Hollis, Canarsie in Brooklyn and parts of the Northeast Bronx. All these areas are reasonably well-off areas by NYC standards that are over 80% black.

You can look these up if you don't believe me.
Cambria Heights is not really a black area. The area is filled with all different types of ethnic minorities (Unless things have changed. I haven't been over there in perhaps 6 years). Canarsie is not a black neighborhood, it is largely ethnic (non black). I'm not familiar with the Northeast Bronx.

There are a few blocks of Laurelton and Rosedale with black American upper middle class families, but by and large, the bulk of blacks in the area are largely Carib and they do not even make up the majority of the community.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Cambria Heights is not really a black area. The area is filled with all different types of ethnic minorities (Unless things have changed. I haven't been over there in perhaps 6 years). Canarsie is not a black neighborhood, it is largely ethnic (non black). I'm not familiar with the Northeast Bronx.

There are a few blocks of Laurelton and Rosedale with black American upper middle class families, but by and large, the bulk of blacks in the area are largely Carib and they do not even make up the majority of the community.
You can't be serious.

I live 2 miles away from Laurelton and Cambria Heights.

Here is an interactive map straight from the 2010 US Census that shows racial makeup for every census track in the entire country for 2010:
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

As you can see, both Laurelton, Cambria Heights and Addisleigh Park are over 90% black. Rosedale however is slightly more diverse but still overwhelmingly majority black. They're actually the blackest areas in the entire NYC.

Canarsie is a black neighborhood. It's been a black neighborhood ever since the white flight of the Italians back in the early 90's or so.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Addisleigh Park in SE Queens is a high-income black area in NYC. It's a relatively small area but it fits the bill.

If you don't believe me then you can google maps the area. It reminds me of a black version of Douglaston and many of the upper class areas in northern Queens and even northwestern long island.

BTW: How do you define "upper income"? What is your criteria?
Upper income would be over 200k/year. I think the larger issue is your definition of a community. I don't really think 5 or 6 blocks is representative of a community.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
You can't be serious.

I live 2 miles away from Laurelton and Cambria Heights.

Here is an interactive map that shows racial makeup for every census track in the entire country for 2010:
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
^^ Straight from the 2010 Census..

As you can see, both Laurelton, Cambria Heights and Addisleigh Park are over 90% black. Rosedale however is slightly more diverse but still overwhelmingly majority black.
Yes, but are those black Americans? Seriously.. That area has a lot of Haitians and West Indians.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, but are those black Americans? Seriously.. That area has a lot of Haitians and West Indians.
Why does it even matter what heritage a black person has?

Haitians and "West Indians" who are American citizens are Black Americans.

Most black people in the NYC metro area have Caribbean roots. The groups obviously blend very easily. In fact, both my parents are from the Caribbean.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:

That's fine but you have to realize that West Harlem, Central Harlem and East Harlem are three completely different areas. They just happen to share the Harlem name.
I can't really speak about the other areas of Harlem, just the Lenox/ Mount Morris Park Area. That area is very expensive. The majority of middle class blacks who are not living in government public housing can not really afford to live there. Many have been priced out, therefore they have either moved further out or left NYC completely.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Upper income would be over 200k/year. I think the larger issue is your definition of a community. I don't really think 5 or 6 blocks is representative of a community.
Addisleigh Park is WAY more than 5 or 6 blocks. I agree that it's a smaller area but I don't see why your trying to downplay it's size like that.

Here are the official boundaries of the area:
http://www.citylandnyc.org/wp-conten...L_20110201.jpg

Now how many blocks does an area have to have to meet your official definition of a community?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Why does it even matter what heritage a black person has?

Haitians and "West Indians" who are American citizens are Black Americans.

Most black people in the NYC metro area have Caribbean roots. The groups obviously blend very easily. In fact, both my parents are from the Caribbean.
I do agree that there is definitely intermixing, however, the OP was really discussing the plight of black Americans (not recent black immigrants).

Old 08-11-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Addisleigh Park is WAY more than 5 or 6 blocks. I agree that it's a smaller area but I don't see why your trying to downplay it's size like that.

Here are the official boundaries of the area:
http://www.citylandnyc.org/wp-conten...L_20110201.jpg

Now how many blocks does an area have to have to meet your official definition of a community?
Clearly, I am not stating that there aren't upper middle class black Americans in NYC. I am however stating that there aren't entire neighborhoods filled with predominately upper middle class blacks in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies