Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:41 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I must admit it's hard to avoid the mighty Oprah about this flick. They have the full court press on pimping this thing. When I'm not watching something on DVR she's hard to avoid lately. lol
Funny...our TV is on quite a bit, and I don't even know what movie this thread is about or that Oprah was even doing anything right now. Must not be as pervasive you seem to think it i.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:44 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Well you need to pay attention then.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
I don't see anyone complaining when a White Actor is on a bunch of shows promoting their movies.

I'm interested in the movie as it is based on a true story that covers a span of time when I was a youngster through adulthood through the eyes of a black man and his family during Jim Crow and the civil rights movement and that black man worked at the WH.

The OP needs to get a grip, any time a new movie is being released there is a huge press push about it, all over nothing new other than the OP seems to be on a thinly veiled racist rant.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:54 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I saw the movie this afternoon with my 'movie and lunch' club---30 some white women. The discussion at lunch after the movie was really interesting since most of us lived through the period of history it covered. They used a lot of actual new reels from the Freedom Rider days. The butler's son was on those rides while the butler was serving presidents. We all loved the movie, by the way. It's too bad the OP will never see it.
Why would he? Who the hell would trust Oprah to produce an honest movie, especially when race is involved? Shes already lied more than once when it comes to race.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
No kidding. I was busy quilting and considering there's nothing good on TV, decided to continue what I was doing rather than get the remote and change channels, to probably see her ugly, fat mug somewhere else, making up stories about how people approach her out of the blue and say things to promote her agenda.

And people actually believe that hype.

If she's not babbling about the movie (movies aren't real, folks!), she's making up racist stories about purses.

What a foolish woman she is.

I won't see the movie.
Wow. I guess a 59 year old native of Seattle would have to MAKE UP stories about getting rained on....you think? Only if one is truly ignorant of the Olympia climate of that region.....would a person believe such. Why would a person believe that a 59 year old black women would have to "Make up" stories about racism? Only ignorance and or denial would lead to such. Heck.....I am in my late 40's and my biggest problem would be choosing, from many encounters with racism, which one to share.

This is an example of the absurd thinking by many that racism has and still does exist....but no black person is actually impacted by it......hence.....they have to make up stories about racism. Cognitive dissonance in full affect in AmeriKKKa.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,642,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, she is disgusting because of something a 30-something white male told her? Is that pretty much it?
First of all, loke much that comes out of oprahs mouth, it isn't true, it never happened, just like her phony purse story. She make up stuff to attempt to make herself sound better.
It's nor hard to tell when one is ying..
Did she learn that from obama, or it a black thing??

Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,116 times
Well the movie is a true story about how black people did overcome oppression and how back then being a butler was all they could ever do.

However I do think Oprah is misusing her position, she acts as if anyone who didn't vote for Obama did so because they were racist. Just another stupid celebrity talking about things that they don't understand.

Not surprised this was on the View, probably the worst show on TV.

But all that being said I don't really understand the OP's problem with the movie. Looks fine to me.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Wow. I guess a 59 year old native of Seattle would have to MAKE UP stories about getting rained on....you think? Only if one is truly ignorant of the Olympia climate of that region.....would a person believe such. Why would a person believe that a 59 year old black women would have to "Make up" stories about racism? Only ignorance and or denial would lead to such. Heck.....I am in my late 40's and my biggest problem would be choosing, from many encounters with racism, which one to share.

This is an example of the absurd thinking by many that racism has and still does exist....but no black person is actually impacted by it......hence.....they have to make up stories about racism. Cognitive dissonance in full affect in AmeriKKKa.
It helps her get free publicity for her movie is why. She did it last time she had a movie released too. I guess folks only behave in a racist manner towards her when she has a movie on the launching pad or so folks are supposed to believe.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Watching her and Forrest on The View, plugging their new movie, The Butler.

The idiot said a 30-something white male came up to her the other day and said he voted for Baracky 0bama because he thought it was the right thing to do (whatever that means), but not until he saw the movie did he realize how important it was.

Huh?

What on God's Green Earth does a stupid movie about a butler in the white house have to do with voting for the man who is best for the country?

Everything is about race to those freaks.

God, I get sick of it!

People like Oprah are the biggest racists of all! Well,....and Baracky! Two racist peas in a pod.
You're so right. I could tell it was pure propoganda just from the ads. I'm so disappointed in Forrest Whitaker. I used to think highly of him, but he sold out to the racists.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:23 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It helps her get free publicity for her movie is why. She did it last time she had a movie released too. I guess folks only behave in a racist manner towards her when she has a movie on the launching pad or so folks are supposed to believe.
Do you actually believe that a black person that old has to make up stories of encounters with racism? Operah was born during the era of segregation in the South...and she was raised in the South, if my memory serves me correctly. No person who understands American history would believe that a 59 year old black women has to make up stories of encounters with racism. I bet she can do an entire show about the racism that she encountered in her life....but then again....she would likely lose a large part of her white fan base....because many whites HATE hearing about racism. Maybe that is why she only talks about it sparingly and before a big release of a movie. Believe you me....Oprah would not be who she is today is she talked about race because she would have never captured a large white audience if she had done so.

I mean....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies