Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, it should only be taught in a church where fiction like that comes from.
Do you mean Religious Fiction?

If the answer is yes, then you conceive the notion of Intelligent Design in the same way in which most of the human race does - as a religious concept.

So-called Intelligent Design does not have to be taught in the way most people conceive it. Given the shadowy, clunky, porous, coarse language of the theory of evolution (if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, read some text on the subject see if the language doesn't strike you that way), the standard for didactics on that theory is rather weak.

It is entirely possible to present a purely objective, scientific presentation of so-called Intelligent Design, focusing on the irreductible complexity of biological systems and how such observations and analysis might present a challenge to Evolution. As much as people have the incapacity to grasp this, it is entirely possible for it to be presented in a classroom without it being religion centered. The problem is, most young people have been so brainwashed in the polarities God vs Evolution that keeping religion out of it -and out of the classroom where religion does not belong -would be a great challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Because at the end of the tunnel of string theory is a scientific explanation and at the end of intelligent design tunnel is some designer/creator. What is the scientific explanation for how the creator/designer got there?

Seriously, all you fundies can do is dodge the issue.
Do you actually see the infinite paradox in the question you have asked?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 PM

234 posts, read 184,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I think you are confused here. Intelligent design is the same thing as creationism, so you should feel free to use the terms interchangeably. Intelligent design is not the same as ethics. What you are advocating for here is called ethics, not intelligent design.
What are you talking about?

I'm for the idea that beings with a vaster knowledge and technological progress may have fiddled with our genome, maybe even created some of it or supplemented it with their own. In a way, that would fit in with some aspects of creationism but not in some all-powerful being who created everything from dust nonsense.

Ethically, yeah. Evolution is still just a theory, just as unprovable as creationism even if those understandably tired of bloody sky-gods go about preaching that their science-based theory is 110% correct. As I pointed out, we lowly humans now can do a lot of those old mythical things and you should do some research on the powers of just the uses of stem cells alone. That's 'god's' work right there!

Intelligent Design is creationism with much less religion. I can accept that possibility in conjunction with natural evolution because I keep abreast of what we humans are learning to do ourselves and have no problem at all believing that it is likely we had our genome tampered with by beings with greater intellect than we, just as we experiment on lower animals than ourselves to learn or develop science. A lot gets lost in orally transmitted folk tales when only a small percentage of people are able to read what was chiseled originally and modified per the changing times.

Also, when you have every major and minor religion in the world describing gods who descended from the clouds, you can't believe every one of those cultures had an obsession with some grandiose maniac full of sadism for his 'creation'. Likewise, I doubt an advanced culture would spend every nanosecond obsessing over the minutiae of every one of its human toys. Lastly, it is awfully self-indulgent to think that humanity is the pinnacle of galactic intellect. That would be sad.

Ethically, it is silly to jump on evolution theory as sacrosanct like it is some religion for the lazy proven by humans just as fallible as priests no matter how much they toil over data. Science may inevitably have the answers but we still know next to nothing about it in the cosmic sense.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
Quote:
Evolution is still just a theory, just as unprovable as creationism
Oh man...

What would you "teach" when it comes to ID? "Some say we were created". End of lesson? It's not as if we can study it.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,614,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The next logical step in this thread is that the sun rotates around the earth. I'm quite sure some posting believe that as well.
20 percent of Americans believe the sun revolves around the Earth and about 20 percent of the people in this poll think ID should be taught as "science" in school. Yup, sounds pretty consistent to me.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,129,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
Do you actually see the infinite paradox in the question you have asked?
We are talking about what should be taught in classrooms, there is a clear separation between science and philosophy/humanities.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,614,919 times
I would rather take the alchemy elective. At least if that was real you could actually do something with it.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 PM

33,589 posts, read 18,208,471 times
Bible teaches Adam came from dirt.. guess what.. everything created on earth come from the ground..

Liberals and those who think intelligent design could not be fact would rather rely on man's discovery even though they keep changing what the believe to be fact. Fact is , man doesn't know much.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,919,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
We are talking about what should be taught in classrooms, there is a clear separation between science and philosophy/humanities.
No, there actually isn't...there is philosophy of fact. Are you going to tell me that metaphysics and epistemology aren't rooted in fact? Of course, the ones with real dogmatic agendas WANT to make this clear separation. Falsification is not the only facet of science, it's a piece of it. And humans should be very leery of any individual that wants to headbeat evolution at such an early age..

Why do you think religious zealots preyed on the young mind? So they wouldn't ask the vital questions later!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,783,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post

I'm for the idea that beings with a vaster knowledge and technological progress may have fiddled with our genome, maybe even created some of it or supplemented it with their own.
You've just described viruses, btw.

Welcome, viral overlords!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies