Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:56 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,598,164 times

Advertisements

To me there is nothing Intelligent about Intelligent Design, it is more like "Make believe on Steroids" if you ask me. Religion has taken away from a lot of the progress man has made here on earth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 12:59 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Religion has taken away from a lot of the progress man has made here on earth!
You cannot prove that. There is no reason to believe that we would be in a better place without religion.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:00 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,598,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
You cannot prove that. There is no reason to believe that we would be in a better place without religion.
How has religion made the world any better?

Old 08-25-2013, 01:05 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
How has religion made the world any better?
It hasn't.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:54 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyNTexas

When did evolution stop? The way this answer
is framed, evolution must have halted at some point long ago, which leaves us
with the un-evolving Billions of species we now have. Got any reference
material defining this halting of evolution? Because if evolution didn't stop,
and it was a continuous and ongoing process, we should see not only transitional
species, but new species appearing all of the time.
What we really need a some sort of head banging against the wall emoticon. I can't believe some of these posts. People seem to expect new species to pop up like a jack in the box.
No, evolution did not halt at some point. Why would it? Organisms are evolving all the time in order to better adapt to their environment. From humans getting taller to earlier menses to antibiotic-resistant bacteria, everything continues to evolve. Damn.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:25 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
The fact is, hairs are being split here.

You can say mutation X happened somewhere around Year 1 evidenced by a genetic drift period of 200 years because species Y were observed to have the uniform trait by 250.

A genetic drift was observed/explained and a mutation is presupposed.
Genetic drift usually happens in small populations like on an island, or where a small number or creatures break off from a larger population and start their own population.

If there were 100 whatsits on an island, a couple of whatsits with slightly different colored fur may have more offspring just by random chance and so pass on their genes to more offspring. Eventually, and over a fairly short period of time in a small population, the color of fur of the total population would change to the slightly different color and be fixed - just because its a numbers game. It's random chance and nothing to do with new adaptations/mutations that give a survival advantage as in natural selection (which is not random chance). No new mutations/adaptations were introduced, as the trait already existed in the population.

It's a totally different mechanism to natural selection, so no, it's not about hairs being split.

Do you now see why I said you were using the term 'genetic drift' incorrectly and your post (below) didn't make any sense? Be honest.

Quote:
There was no "ape to man" evolution....there was, supposedly, a common ancestor. And it makes perfectly logical sense...they have found these genetic drifts in tons of other lifeforms.
Edited to add: I found a couple of websites that explain it better than I can:

Simple version:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosit...ticdrift.shtml

More detailed version:
http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/advan...eticdrift.aspx

Last edited by Ceist; 08-25-2013 at 04:08 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
No, I believe the bombardier beetle evolved..just not in any easily distinguishable way.

I've read several rational explanations in regards to the bombardier beetle.
There are several grasshoppers would squirt foul liquids also

Sent from my Nexus 4

Old 08-25-2013, 08:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Well at least we wouldn't have any jihads Crusades, pillorying at stocks, witch trials, for attempts to teach fairy tales as facts in schools.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Believe it or not, on average humans are getting smarter by about three IQ points per decade.
My understanding of this phenomenon though is that it is the result of increasing modernization and urbanization.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What we really need a some sort of head banging against the wall emoticon. I can't believe some of these posts. People seem to expect new species to pop up like a jack in the box.
No, evolution did not halt at some point. Why would it? Organisms are evolving all the time in order to better adapt to their environment. From humans getting taller to earlier menses to antibiotic-resistant bacteria, everything continues to evolve. Damn.
I have been silently following this thread, mostly for purposes of amusement. Here's what gets me; Scientists write peer-reviewed work. The result are theories based on solid, unflappable evidence and other criteria. There is the Germ Theory, Theory of Relativity, Theory of Gravity, and of course the Theory of Evolution, all have been backed by repeated observation and experimentation. Now, some clowns (and I use the term "clowns" with all due respect) comes along and because one or more of these theories doesn't jive with his version of religion, he rejects the theory. If all that were not enough, the absurdity of the thread goes on for 625 posts, and counting. And in conclusion, I am no better since I have just contributed to it, albeit reluctantly, and tongue-in-cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies