Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
SF was not always as expensive as it is now. Furthermore, rents actually DID decrease in SF in the early 2000s, so it's not an impossibility.

Repeal of Prop 13 would put a break on real estate costs not only in SF but in the entire state of California. Low property taxes encourage speculation. One of the things Texas does right is having high property taxes and low taxes on everything else, and hence property values are low. Speculation causes property values rise, and is a parasitical activity.
Property values are low in Texas because it is a big state of land with little in the way of building...like water and mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I worked for Hilton, the Garden Inns are middle class hotels. What is your definition of a non-luxury hotel?
LOL..they described themselves as a "luxury hotel", not me.

There are many more in these cities that don't charge than do.
What are you trying to prove here ?

The elite cities with the elite residents charge for almost everything.
What they are doing is pricing out the "riff raff".

Old 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Best city west of the Mississippi...I love the place, but it's become frighteningly expensive. Hell, my favorite hotel now charges me to park there. Ridiculous.
Hotels in all major cities have been charging for parking, for years.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Property values are low in Texas because it is a big state of land with little in the way of building...like water and mountains.
The values are low because our taxes are very high.
We don't have city/state taxes. Our high property taxes make up for it.
The high property taxes which is a percentage of your value keeps the value down.
Most newcomers talk about how cheap RE is here until they get their tax bill.

Urban cities have some of the highest property taxes.

It has nothing to do with being a "big state".

Old 08-22-2013, 01:19 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The high property taxes which is a percentage of your value keeps the value down.

Well maybe its the water and mountains then?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
LOL..they described themselves as a "luxury hotel", not me.

There are many more in these cities that don't charge than do.
What are you trying to prove here ?

The elite cities with the elite residents charge for almost everything.
What they are doing is pricing out the "riff raff".
The La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol charges $12.99 for parking. It is common for downtown hotels to charge for their parking.

When I use to work in the hotel industry, I use to laugh at people who were shocked that they had to pay for parking at their downtown hotel. Even downtown Spokane, Wa you have to pay for parking. This is just common in downtowns across the country. Don't want to pay for parking then you either don't stay downtown, don't bring a car, or buy a package that has parking included.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Being a big land state is a factor in the low cost of housing in Texas. It is the same reason why the cost of housing is low in places like Oklahoma. You can say it is because of high property taxes but it is hard to overlook the amount of available land.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
The La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol charges $12.99 for parking. It is common for downtown hotels to charge for their parking.

When I use to work in the hotel industry, I use to laugh at people who were shocked that they had to pay for parking at their downtown hotel. Even downtown Spokane, Wa you have to pay for parking. This is just common in downtowns across the country. Don't want to pay for parking then you either don't stay downtown, don't bring a car, or buy a package that has parking included.
I posted before I was surprised to hear that.

New Orleans was the last big city I went to and the parking was free for guests.
I wouldn't fork over money for my car..that should be an amenity of being a paying guest of the hotel.
I'd just go to the outskirts of the city then.

Nickel and diming people to death is killing this country and yet people put up with it.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:

Housing (and property) is less expensive in Texas because supply and demand allow it to be so. Texas has lots of land, and it is relatively easy to build on it.

Higher property tax rates act as a damper to reduce speculation. A speculator is less likely to take a risk on a property if they know they will have a big tax bill if they don't sell it. Property taxes are also less volatile than income taxes, which helps Texas avoid the tax revenue swings that California experiences.

Actual cash paid by Texans for property tax is not much higher than what Californians pay. Our 2.5% taxes against $300K is not much different than 1.4% against $550K in California. New Jersey, Illinois, and CT (among others) homeowners pay more in property tax than Texans do.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
All I can say is WOW. I don't go to big urban centers and stay overnight so I never knew that.
I have never paid to park my car in a hotel parking lot.

Like I said..it's these "elite" top cities that are pricing people right out of them.

Austin is urban, they don't charge.
Dallas is urban, they don't charge.
Ft Worth is urban, they don't charge.
New Orleans is urban, they don't charge.
I could go on.
Using Marriott in city centers, as an example:

Parking Fees:
Austin- $24-30
Dallas -18-23
Ft. Worth-$20
New Orleans- $39

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies