Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Science is on a different plane then engineering.
I also agree with this. I think that some people are mis-characterizing what it is that scientists do, exactly.

I think that being an engineer makes you a man or woman of science, but it doesn't make you a scientist.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
lol. Your lack of knowledge is amusing.

Next time an airplane, missile, or drone flies over your head and doesn't fall into your compost pile, think of the engineers I worked with, and thank them. There wasn't a scientist on the property, anywhere, nada, nope, none! All Engineers.
Who did the research for jet propulsion? A scientist.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Engineers tend to view themselves as much less liberal and slightly more conservative than the general public, according to a recent survey of over 1,200 readers of MACHINE DESIGN and Electronic Design magazines. The same survey also found that engineers say they are more likely to be Republican (42.1%) or Independent (33.7%) voters, as opposed to Democrats (14.5%). And although over a third of the engineers think Republicans represent the best interests of the engineering community better than Democrats, a majority of engineers (48.1%) believe neither party is really on the side of engineers.

The politics of engineers | News content from Machine Design
This is not really news. We observed this back in the 70's. Engineering, mathematics, the hard sciences drew the more conservative, while the arts, journalism, social sciences, and general liberal arts, tended to draw the more liberal.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

Of course not! The engineers were so brilliant that they discovered the physical and mathematical rules of nature and physical systems on the fly, already fully encoded into their memories as they worked on their projects.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I also agree with this. I think that some people are mis-characterizing what it is that scientists do, exactly.

I think that being an engineer makes you a man or woman of science, but it doesn't make you a scientist.
I agree. I'm an engineer and would never compare myself to a scientist.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
This is not really news. We observed this back in the 70's. Engineering, mathematics, the hard sciences drew the more conservative, while the arts, journalism, social sciences, and general liberal arts, tended to draw the more liberal.
That's right brain/left brain..logic/emotion.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Wrong. The Research & Development group, all Engineers.

Everything was designed and tested on site by Engineers and Experimental Test Pilots, all of whom held Engineering degrees.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
I was looking at the tables, and some are too small to be legible.
I also want to see the breakdown.
As an electrical engineer myself, I find the source to be incomplete and untrustworthy. They only say "engineers":
1. All of us REAL engineers know that nowadays the term is engineer is used broadly. You can be working in a local theater, overlooking the sound system. And then you are called "sound engineer". You can work in the machine shop with only an Engineering Technician degree, and you are called "mechanical engineer"
2. Also all of us engineers know that any tables / pie charts presented with no substantial data to corroborate is laughable. Let it be from a renowned magazine.

Yes, I am liberal and most of my engineers fellow are liberal. But like what somebody said, we try to keep our minds open. (I hate Rachel Maddow equally as I don't like Rush L.).Please provide me with better sources / citations.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Engineers tend to view themselves as much less liberal and slightly more conservative than the general public, according to a recent survey of over 1,200 readers of MACHINE DESIGN and Electronic Design magazines. The same survey also found that engineers say they are more likely to be Republican (42.1%) or Independent (33.7%) voters, as opposed to Democrats (14.5%). And although over a third of the engineers think Republicans represent the best interests of the engineering community better than Democrats, a majority of engineers (48.1%) believe neither party is really on the side of engineers.

Not surprising. Engineers have highly developed critical thinking skills and they are trained by both education and professional experience to think things through to their logical consequences. That alone explains why only 14.5% are Democrats.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:

Folks who are more analytical in nature would have a hard time with much of the current Dem platform since much of it is devoid of any reason. Although for sure Dems do well in engineer heavy places like Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies