Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:29 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times

Advertisements

I voted for this man twice, but I've always said that if he commits troops or military without congressional approval I would turn on him. This will be the last straw for me if we attack Syria without complete agreement from Congress and Senate.

Obama Admin. Officials: Don't Rule Out Syria Strike If Congress Disapproves | TPM LiveWire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 AM

45,238 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Its okay if he bombs another country that poses no threat to us whatsoever so long as he asks congress?

Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I voted for this man twice, but I've always said that if he commits troops or military without congressional approval I would turn on him. This will be the last straw for me if we attack Syria without complete agreement from Congress and Senate.

Obama Admin. Officials: Don't Rule Out Syria Strike If Congress Disapproves | TPM LiveWire
And IF he attacks Syria with Congressional approval, will you think Obama's OK or put Congress on the poopy list too?

Personally, I'd like to see Congress demand we end our world police act immediately.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:55 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And IF he attacks Syria with Congressional approval, will you think Obama's OK or put Congress on the poopy list too?

Personally, I'd like to see Congress demand we end our world police act immediately.
I agree with your 100%. But if he circumvents congress and attacks anyway that will be it for me.

If Congress and Senate believe it's warranted, I won't hold it against Obama, even though I'll be disappointed.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:00 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
The way I see it, there really is very little difference between a Republican or a Democrat President. Certainly in the realm of foreign policy. Oh, there may be some lukewarm disagreement on a few domestic issues like spending priorities, nominating federal judges, environmental policy, same-sex marriage ... that sort of thing. Foreign policy? They are pawns of the Military-Industrial Complex.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I think we're going to end up in Syria regardless.

AQ has been found to have chemical weapons and the capability to make chemical weapons.
The world's worst nightmare has come true..the terrorists have WMDs now.

So Congress says No. If the rebels (al-Nusra who are growing in power and members and is AQ) continue to use chemical weapons then we'll go in there.

Congress says Yes, we go in there and drop a few hundred bombs giving al-Nusra the advantage to topple Assad.

al-Nusra has the most money, is the most equipped and is the most experienced in Syria (they came from Iraq and Libya).
Thousands are defecting from the other rebel groups to join al-Nusra.

al_Nusra gets power, which they will if rebels win, then AQ just got hold of the cache of WMDs that Assad has.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,816 times
funny how Obama and Hillary were all for this man to be in
when Syria was in shambles before they did nothing but cheer
this is the outcome
of their failed policies!!!
Impeach Obama
that seems to be rumbling
around
and he is so concerned
he does not call Congress back early for a vote
no, he goes and plays another round of golf!!
Obama is a hack nothing more
glad some are waking up

Old 09-01-2013, 11:40 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

It's a real shame you won't be able to vote for him a third time eh?

I hope there are enough dems and enough TEA party Repubs to stop this crap in Congress, and further hope that Obumer won't strike without congress' approval.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

AQ has been found to have chemical weapons and the capability to make chemical weapons.

So Congress says No. If the rebels (al-Nusra who are growing in power and members and is AQ) continue to use chemical weapons then we'll go in there.

Congress says Yes, we go in there and drop a few hundred bombs giving al-Nusra the advantage to topple Assad.

al-Nusra has the most money, is the most equipped and is the most experienced in Syria (they came from Iraq and Libya).

al_Nusra gets power, which they will if rebels win, then AQ just got hold of the cache of WMDs that Assad has.

What bothers me is our willingness to take sides when there is no side that is our side.

While I think it disgraceful for an alleged national leader to attack his own people I don't see any reason to believe toppling him would automatically lead to a better life for the Syrian people and be of benefit to the US.

I'm a devout non-interventionist, especially in the ME where conflict has existed since long before the US was a twinkle in the eyes of the founders and is not likely to be resolved by the new kid on the block.

I think we can only remain free by being strong internally, not by lame attempts at changing the world

Old 09-01-2013, 01:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

And if AQ has chemical weapons, they will not be dissuaded from using them based on the fact that the US once lobbed some cruise missile at Assad after he purportedly used them. That probably works with a Saddam, an Assad, or Khadafy, but probably not with true believer jihadists.

Hence if we do strike Assad, we probably need to do it in such a way that will not strengthen the rebels, or weaken Assad. So what is really the point? The whole thing is an Alice in Wonderland saga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies