Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is something I've noticed and wondered about for a while now. People who tend to be the most supportive of civil rights--regardless of the group--tend to be those on the left. While conservatives tend to be, at best, ambivalent about things like voting rights or issues facing minority communities. Many naively seem to think that there are no racial problems anymore in the United States, and that things like Civil Rights laws are no longer necessary--something which baffles me.

Any thoughts?

I'll chomp on the above comment about voting rights and simply say that I find it very strange that people can produce identification for every other license or activity, yet have a problem with doing so to vote.

Voting is a right in this country and a precious one. The only "suppression" may well be when people who vote illegally (early, often, or unqualified) negate the votes of legal voters. Consider the case of the Cincinnati poll worker who bragged that she voted for Obama twice in the 2012 election, and that she'd voted numerous times in the last three elections. When she dared authorites to "do something about it," she was charged and ultimately convicted for ballot-box tampering and casting illegal votes.

Voting "early and often" is alive and well in more places than you'd think. Interestingly, those beefing about IDs won't be telling you that it should be halted or even discouraged.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That is a great point. Republicans often try to hide the scurrilous nature of the racism inherent in their policy positions by referring back to how things were before the Democrats were the party that supported civil rights (and before the Republicans became the party of self-serving avarice) with regard to matters of race, yet fail to acknowledge that their gleeful exuberance over the recent SCOTUS decision concerning voting rights was effectively celebrating repudiation of a law that was supported mostly by them!

It seems that their memory of the past is only clear when it serves their offensive perspectives.

Wrong. I replied to someone who stated he was refering to the VRA. I didnt bring up the VRA. stop being dishonest.

Here is another classic example of why conservative disengage. We face intollerance constantly and simply are not allowed to "play in their sandbox".

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
This is something I've noticed and wondered about for a while now. People who tend to be the most supportive of civil rights--regardless of the group--tend to be those on the left. While conservatives tend to be, at best, ambivalent about things like voting rights or issues facing minority communities. Many naively seem to think that there are no racial problems anymore in the United States, and that things like Civil Rights laws are no longer necessary--something which baffles me.

Any thoughts?

I'll chomp on the above comment about voting rights and simply say that I find it very strange that people can produce identification for every other license or activity, yet have a problem with doing so to vote.

Voting is a right in this country and a precious one. The only "suppression" may well be when people who vote illegally (early, often, or unqualified) negate the votes of legal voters. Consider the case of the Cincinnati poll worker who bragged that she voted for Obama twice in the 2012 election, and that she'd voted numerous times in the last three elections. When she dared authorites to "do something about it," she was charged and ultimately convicted for ballot-box tampering and casting illegal votes. She received a five-year sentence.

Voting "early and often" is alive and well in more places than you'd think. Interestingly, those beefing about IDs won't be telling you that it should be halted or even discouraged. That's what baffles me.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I

Voting "early and often" is alive and well in more places than you'd think. Interestingly, those beefing about IDs won't be telling you that it should be halted or even discouraged.
Please produce proof. Specifically, documented numbers of illegal voting. Not one individual case, which cons love to quote, but overall numbers compared to the number of ballots cast.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Is this even a serious question?

Because conservatives don't believe racism really exists, unless the perceived "victim" of racism is white.

Conservative ideology doesn't recognize societal injustice as the root cause of racial inequalities. Conservatives are Social Darwinists who believe the reason some minorities tend to occupy lower rungs on the societal ladder is because they are just inferior. In the past century, conservatives believed this inferiority was genetic. Today, they are more likely to believe it is cultural. But the basic concept is the same.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Quote:
Republicans often try to hide the scurrilous nature of the racism inherent in their policy positions by referring back to how things were before the Democrats were the party that supported civil rights (and before the Republicans became the party of self-serving avarice) with regard to matters of race, yet fail to acknowledge that their gleeful exuberance over the recent SCOTUS decision concerning voting rights was effectively celebrating repudiation of a law that was supported mostly by them!
Wrong.
I'm sure you didn't intend to set the stage for the point I made, but you did.

Quote:
I replied to someone who stated he was refering to the VRA. I didnt bring up the VRA. stop being dishonest.
All I said is indicated above. I didn't say you brought up the VRA; I just highlighted the implications of it inherent in the information about it that you posted. Now you stop being dishonest.

Quote:
Here is another classic example of why conservative disengage. We face intollerance constantly and simply are not allowed to "play in their sandbox".
What it sounds like you're trying to say here is that you don't want to have a discussion where your perspectives are shown to be faulty. Well, you are surely allowed to refrain from participating in the conversation, if that's your preference.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Because they think government cannot solve those issues beyond equality under the law. They usually do well with common sense which in this case serves them well.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
What you should notice is that conservatives support equal rights, for all people, and are not using skin color as a crutch.

Those on the left tend to start with the assumption that all whites are bigots and racists, and work from there, when creating laws and regulations which assume those same assumptions. Conservatives do not do that, we see all people as equals, and all people are innocent until proven otherwise.

Of course, all people, of all races, are capable of racism, bigotry and or prejudice, but I'm not going to assume and entire group of people are racists and bigots, based on nothing more then their skin color.

So if a leftist assumes all whites are racists, and I do not, that does not mean I'm against civil rights, nor does it mean I'm a racist. We do still need the 14th amendment, and civil rights laws, because they are people who would infringe on my, or my children's rights and freedoms, based on nothing more then skin color.

For example, the voting laws which were just change by the supreme court. It's been 50 years now, and it seems that the assumption that certain states will always be bigots is supposed to continue for all time.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Generally speaking conservatives hate non white people. conservatives generally think of America as their nation. Their white nation, and conservatives fear that non white people will change and destroy America.

Generally conservatives think of black people as lazy, criminal, stupid, hypersexual, violent, and morally corrupt who will bleed the nation dry.

Generally conservatives think of Latino's in somewhat similar terms though not as harsh.

Generally conservatives view muslims as a threat who want to take over America and institute Sharia Law whatever that is.

Generally conservatives view those identified as Asians as a threat to white dominance economically and educationally.

conservatives simply do not like non white people and don't see the vast majority of them as true/real Americans.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
I don't necessarily qualify as a conservative, considering that there are issues on both the left and the right which I agree or disagree with. However, claiming that liberals aren't racist is a statement of ignorance. Liberal policies such as welfare and affirmative action have done more to increase racism in this country than the KKK ever could. Any person who belongs to a minority group and votes for a liberal who proposes more government programs to fix their issues is voting against their own interest.

Are there still racial problems in the United States? You betcha. However, government intervention isn't going to fix those problems any more effectively in the future than it has in the past. After close to half a century of seeing less and less equal opportunity for minorities, it seems that logic would have kicked in by now. Unfortunately, many seem to lack logical thinking skills. The best thing that could be done to equalize the playing field would be to remove the racial selection box from every form that exists, whether it be school enrollment, job application, or government related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies