Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
For the most part, yes. Kids are gonna do what they want, all you can do is educate them on how to do it safely, or, you can beat them with a Bible until their actions no longer make you uncomfortable...
Well, beyond that, when you make something taboo, it usually motivates teenagers to behave in that precise behavior.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:33 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How's about maybe the parent wants the teaching to come from them and not some stranger being paid by the government ?

Are parents incapable of doing that today ? On the government can do this now ?
Depends on the parent, don't send the kid to public school if you don't want them to be taught about good touching and bad touching.

What issue do you have with what is being taught? Other than the fact that you seem to think public schools are suppose to just babysit children and nothing else.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Just curious, but do they leave it to the parents in Texas?
I know that it the case to a large extent in New Mexico.

Know what they have in common?

Only the highest (repeat) teen pregnancy rates in the country.

I'd say that's working out well, not.

OP: I agree with the President 100% and I really wonder about people who do not want their children taught this topic in an objective manner.
My son graduated from Texas HS in 2009.
He had some sex ed in HS but nothing in elementary or middle.

Now today I see some introduction being done in 6th and 7th grade science classes but the actual Health class with sex ed is an 8th grade class in the 4 districts I sub in. And there is no opting out.

Texas is more conservative about taking over what is the parent's job.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,946 times
Here's the funny thing about this. The people who are most against sex ed are typically the most against abortion. However, the lack of sex ed in this country means that the United States does way more abortions than other countries, like those in Scandinavia, where abortion is readily available to everyone.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:36 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Well, beyond that, when you make something taboo, it usually motivates teenagers to behave in that precise behavior.
Especially coupled with the fact that millions of years of evolution have made copulation our number one reason for existence.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
My son graduated from Texas HS in 2009.
He had some sex ed in HS but nothing in elementary or middle.

Now today I see some introduction being done in 6th and 7th grade science classes but the actual Health class with sex ed is an 8th grade class in the 4 districts I sub in. And there is no opting out.

Texas is more conservative about taking over what is the parent's job.
I have never been anywhere where an uptight parent cannot pull their kid when such things arise. If you are intent on keeping them from hearing this stuff in a public school, you can remove them. Just let everybody else have the option rather than imposing your preferences on everyone else.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Here's the funny thing about this. The people who are most against sex ed are typically the most against abortion. However, the lack of sex ed in this country means that the United States does way more abortions than other countries, like those in Scandinavia, where abortion is readily available to everyone.
That's because the folks who want to deprive women of abortion rights are not actually interested in reducing the number of abortions. They're interested in telling women what to do. That's a crucial distinction.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
You do but if the government want to teach sex ed at 5 years old there's nothing you can do about it except send your kid to private school or homeschool.

A good portion of what goes on in K-12 today surrounds social issues.
Its strange what gets defined as sex ed. Here in Alameda, a book about a new girl in class with a pet iguana was characterized as Alameda wanting to teach homosexual sex to kindergarteners.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Just curious, but do they leave it to the parents in Texas?
I know that it the case to a large extent in New Mexico.

Know what they have in common?

Only the highest (repeat) teen pregnancy rates in the country.

I'd say that's working out well, not.

OP: I agree with the President 100% and I really wonder about people who do not want their children taught this topic in an objective manner.
They also have a high percentage of illegals who tend to have more children and at an earlier age.
Go look at the demographics of those high numbers.
More Hispanic females get pregnant then Whites and Blacks combined.

You have to take immigration into account when you look at these numbers.

People are not doing that. California also has a high number of illegals that come from Mexico.
They have a different culture there along with different beliefs.
A girl becomes a woman at 15 and it's a big deal to Mexicans. They can get married and start families then but this is America and we have legal restrictions on that.

Sex Ed is being taught before girls reach puberty. Yet they are still getting pregnant.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
You do but if the government want to teach sex ed at 5 years old there's nothing you can do about it except send your kid to private school or homeschool.

A good portion of what goes on in K-12 today surrounds social issues.
This was a CPS initiative and has nothing to do with Obama. It's all about age appropriate, science based sex education. Parents have the ability to opt -out their child. Parents generally feel relieved that the schools are handing the topic in an age appropriate manner.

Back in 2003, Obama did not sponsor the bill to provide age appropriate sex education in Illinois schools beginning in kindergarten. He did however vote in favor of it.

The overall birth rate among teens is now half what it was at its peak, two decades ago. So maybe, just maybe, earlier education is influencing outcomes.

Again, parents have the ability to opt-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies