Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,582,093 times

Advertisements

I do agree with this. If you celebrate Xmas, why not this.

I only agree with it because I like the idea of a long weekend and two paid holidays though. I really enjoyed that living in New Zealand and South Africa.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,231,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Neither I am. You could still work on all holidays, it's just that federal government is closed.
Who cares what you want? You hate anything Christianity as you have shown your Anti-Christian bigotry several times on many different threads.
I'm a stay at home mom. I work everyday. And some days I have to go take care of things at government offices.

Who cares what you want?
You want to force your religious beliefs on everyone in this country, and have shown your lack of understanding of what a SECULAR country is several times in many different threads.

As for being anti christian, most of my family is christian, I was raised christian, and went to religious schools. I simply want religious people to live their lives, and keep their noses out of mine.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:45 PM

11,362 posts, read 16,735,475 times
Quote:
It is definitely time to declare Good Friday and Easter Monday as federal holiday in the United States just like it is a holiday in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, most of Europe and other large part of the world.

It is very ridiculous and insulting that it isn't a national holiday yet. Most nations celebrating those holidays as national are secular as well, and do it part of culture and tradition. These holidays will create long weekend break during middle of spring where there are no holidays in March and April. Most Americans are Christians, so it absolutely makes sense. America also have the largest Christian population by number in the world.

Private companies are of course not obligated to celebrate them.
Welcome to 1989, when Good Friday was a Federal Holiday. Along with Columbus Day and Election Day.

In 1990 they decided to make the 3rd Monday in January MLK Jr. Day a Federal holiday, combined Columbus Day with Washington's Birthday to make it President's Day and took away Good Friday and Election day as Federal Holidays.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,374,150 times
Quote:
Suffer having a day off?

And your religion is.....? You know that most Americans are Christians?

Yes suffer as I do not celebrate those holidays and have to give up my hard earned vacation time or take time off with out pay during my days to celebrate my spirituality...OH and my spirituality is quite frankly none of your business. I was raised in an environment where one's religion/spirituality is no body's business but their own and find it offensive when someone asks me.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
I like that we stand out as a leader in regards to religious holidays and not a follower of other nations. We aren't quite where we should be... but not having these holidays as national holidays gives everyone the choice as to whether they want to celebrate it or not. Freedom for all.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,883,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Welcome to 1989, when Good Friday was a Federal Holiday. Along with Columbus Day and Election Day.

In 1990 they decided to make the 3rd Monday in January MLK Jr. Day a Federal holiday, combined Columbus Day with Washington's Birthday to make it President's Day and took away Good Friday and Election day as Federal Holidays.
That is not true. Good Friday is a state holiday in 13 states only, so you may confuse federal with state holidays. Maybe your state got rid of Good Friday as state holiday? Good Friday has never been a federal holiday.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM

893 posts, read 1,208,630 times
A break in March/April would be nice, but Easter is not a good excuse. No one here really cares about Easter... in fact, I didn't even know when it was this year. We took a trip to Belgium near the end of March and spent half of the day on Sunday wondering why so many things were closed in Brussels. Finally figured out that it was Easter. lol

Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
Why should the Federal Government stop working? As long as it's not stoping anyone from celebrating their faith they are doing what they should be doing...allowing freedom.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,883,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
A break in March/April would be nice, but Easter is not a good excuse. No one here really cares about Easter... in fact, I didn't even know when it was this year. We took a trip to Belgium near the end of March and spent half of the day on Sunday wondering why so many things were closed in Brussels. Finally figured out that it was Easter. lol
Most of Europe are closed on Sundays anyway even when it is not Easter

Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,493,769 times
Quote:
It is definitely time to declare Good Friday and Easter Monday as federal holiday in the United States just like it is a holiday in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, most of Europe and other large part of the world.

It is very ridiculous and insulting that it isn't a national holiday yet. Most nations celebrating those holidays as national are secular as well, and do it part of culture and tradition. These holidays will create long weekend break during middle of spring where there are no holidays in March and April. Most Americans are Christians, so it absolutely makes sense. America also have the largest Christian population by number in the world.

Private companies are of course not obligated to celebrate them.
If it is that important to you, take the day off.

[without pay, of course]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies