Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:30 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
"Secular government"

That's why the government celebrate Christmas, Christian New Year's, Sunday as day of rest, President's holding and swearing on Christian Bibles, President's using quotes of Christ, Easter Sunday on flag day list, Bibles on hotels, etc.

BTW I don't attend a church, and you are very offending and Anti-Semite.
Maybe you need some education on our government.
We do not not have a religious government, we have a secular government.
Presidents can swear on any book they choose or none if they so choose. It is a personal choice.
Presidents quote all kinds of books, again, personal choice.
Christmas is celebrated as a secular holiday by millions. New years is celebrated as a secular holiday.
Sunday is a weekend day, just like Saturday, and government offices are closed on weekends. Is Saturday a "Christian" day too?

But lets look at other things.
Days of the week.
Quote:
Sunday - ME sun(nen)day, OE sunnandaeg, translation of Latin dies Solis, "Day of the Sun"
Monday - ME mone(n)day, OE mondaeg, translation of Latin Lunae dies, "Day of the Moon"
Tuesday - ME tewesday, OE tiwesdaeg, OHG ziestac, Day of the war god Tiw, translation of the Latin dies Martis, "Day of Mars"
Wednesday - ME Wednesdai, OE wednesdaeg, mutated version of Wodnesdaeg, Woden's day, compare with Dutch Woensdag, Danish onsdag, translation of Latin Mercuru dies, Day of Mercury
Thursday - ME OE Thursdaeg from Norse Thursdagr, "Thor's day", Germanic translation of Latin dies Jovis.
Friday - ME OE Frigedaeg, "Freya's day"
Saturday - ME Saturdai, OE Saternesdaeg, partial translation of Latin Saturni dies, "Saturn's day
Day Name Origins
Nothing "Christian" there.

Lets look at the FACT that the very first amendment to the constitution says.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

If we were a "Christian" nation, there would be no freedom of religion. In fact this first amendment goes against one of the 10 commandments (no god before me)

Lets look at the FACT that there is no religious test to hold any office in this country.

So you can keep your "christian nation" crap and stuff it.

Now run along and pray, like the good "Christian" you are.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:45 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times
I'm fine with the op's proposal just as soon as Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are also national holidays.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe you need some education on our government.
We do not not have a religious government, we have a secular government.
Presidents can swear on any book they choose or none if they so choose. It is a personal choice.
Presidents quote all kinds of books, again, personal choice.
Christmas is celebrated as a secular holiday by millions. New years is celebrated as a secular holiday.
Sunday is a weekend day, just like Saturday, and government offices are closed on weekends. Is Saturday a "Christian" day too?

Lets look at the FACT that the very first amendment to the constitution says.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

If we were a "Christian" nation, there would be no freedom of religion. In fact this first amendment goes against one of the 10 commandments (no god before me)
Blah blah. Good luck trying to elect a non-Christian president

Actually many government places are open half day on Saturdays, including postal offices and some DMV, as well as banks. Most cities have free parking on Sundays, not Saturdays.

Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are celebrated as secular holidays by many people as well. Today in my area half of the people celebrating Rosh Hashanah and eating dinner are all non-Jews. Many Christians, Muslims, agnostic and Hindu friends were invited.

Yes, the United States has a secular government with Christian influence, holiday and culture.

Gregorian Calendar was founded by Pope Gregory. What does year 2013 stand for?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
I'm fine with the op's proposal just as soon as Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are also national holidays.
Why would they become national holidays when there are only 1.7% Jews living in the U.S.?

Old 09-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Why would they become national holidays when there are only 1.7% Jews living in the U.S.?
Typical "christian" only out for yourself, and always trying to force others to live according to YOUR belief.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Typical "christian" only out for yourself, and always trying to force others to live according to YOUR belief.
Nopp. If you proposed Christian holidays in Israel I would be against it, but Islamic holidays would be fine.
I would be OK with Yom Kippur as federal holiday if we had at least 25% Jews.

I always follow the majority. It is democracy!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Nopp. If you proposed Christian holidays in Israel I would be against it, but Islamic holidays would be fine.
I would be OK with Yom Kippur as federal holiday if we had at least 25% Jews.

I always follow the majority. It is democracy!
This country is not a democracy. Try to get an education.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times
The op is not a Jew and his username is fallacious. No Jew is for Jesus. What separates us from Christians is that we don't believe Jesus fulfilled the prophecies of the Messiah. His answer to me demonstrates his real agenda here.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
The heck with Good Friday etc.

There should be a national holiday to celebrate the solstice.

After all, that is what Easter originally was all about.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
The op is not a Jew and his username is fallacious. No Jew is for Jesus. What separates us from Christians is that we don't believe Jesus fulfilled the prophecies of the Messiah. His answer to me demonstrates his real agenda here.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies