Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I seem to remember this type of comparison between government and family when I was in 1st grade. That would have been 1960.

To teach small kids abstract concepts, which government is, you have to use comparisons they understand.
Understanding abstract concepts and articulating are different. Children understand abstract. Calling it family is akin to calling any corp family. It is an artificial construct, not really all that abstract. However, one could hardly expect a govt school not to push this kind of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If public schools had any integrity, they'd be teaching (with numerous examples) how the state is a threat to their life, liberty and happiness.
Seeing as how public schools are an extension of that same criminal apparatus, its not going to ever happen.
Home school your children.
There appears to be an exponential increase in homeschooling.

Good is Evil - YouTube

Old 09-15-2013, 01:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Because you're not serious.

You can't disguise that your sole effort here is personal attack on others.
Lol! Asking why more Conservatives don't go into teaching is a personal attack? Get a grip, dude.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:26 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol! Asking why more Conservatives don't go into teaching is a personal attack? Get a grip, dude.
Go easy on him. He just learned that saying the pledge of allegiance means you are pledging allegiance to the U.S. government. I think he's still in shock over that one.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:20 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
It is dastardly. Government is overbearing, predatory, power-mongering, greedy, corrupt, and antagonistic to the welfare of the individual.
We are becoming a nanny state! I am concerned with he amount of people that are content with the government taking care of them, have they become that lazy. Teaching kids and adults for that matter, is nothing more than brainwashing so they can control you. Wise up America before it is too late.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times
Whats with the right wing hating (alleged) government indoctrination from age 5-17, but praise religious indoctrination from birth?

And most of the time go so far as to say we should have MORE religion. Why the logical disconnect?

You either want people to think for themselves or you don't. Which is it?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Are you still talking about 1960 ? because by 3rd grade, i knew all 50 state capitals, the last 4 Alabama state governors, Which territories/states/countries Alabama had belonged to, the difference between a Monarchy and democracy , and the 3 branches of government ?

this was the mid 1990's for me.
I doubt any or few kids today would know all of what you learned, with the dumbed down version of the curriculum today, they are lucky to come out of high school little more than a blithering idiot and illiterate to boot.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I doubt any or few kids today would know all of what you learned, with the dumbed down version of the curriculum today, they are lucky to come out of high school little more than a blithering idiot and illiterate to boot.
What curriculum? Thanks to W, all our teachers do now is beat standardized testing into kids' heads so the school can keep getting federal money. Where's the incentive to actually teach?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Exactly right.. It does not take much in the brains department to understand what the teacher's point was. The sense of community, civility and the concept of how we are all interconnected to some degree is a concept that has become radioactive to the right wing. This is why there is such a gap between the haves and the have nots in this country. The "I got mine, the hell with you" attitude and the good old
Quote:
"nobody helped me build that"
mantra is most likely what the teacher was rejecting. Good for her.
I don't think any body ever denied they had help building anything, but when you take that statement out of the equation, you take away the incentive for great people to do great things and take some personal credit. Remember, everything starts with one mans idea and blossoms from there. Or don't you get it?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
What curriculum? Thanks to W, all our teachers do now is beat standardized testing into kids' heads so the school can keep getting federal money. Where's the incentive to actually teach?
I agree, no child left behind opened a can of worms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies