Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 AM

195 posts, read 294,342 times

Advertisements

Groups like Numbers USA which are pushing for lower levels of legal and illegal immigration are saying that much of our high unemployment rate is due to immigration. Others are saying that without high immigration our unemployment rate would be even higher. They say that all the new immigrants who are flooding into America are creating new jobs and companies because of their hard work and innovation.

Which side of the argument do you believe:

If we lowered legal and illegal immigration the unemployment rate would go down because we would now have jobs for US Citizens.

OR

If we lower immigration levels the economy would be hurt and unemployment would go up because there would be less talented people who work hard, bring in new ideas and take jobs Americans do not want or have an expertise to do well.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,651,968 times
Yes, because there are no talented or hardworking citizens

What a bunch of bunk - and insulting bunk at that!

I propose that if we actually sealed the border and made a concerted effort to deport illegals and fine and jail employers of illegals not only would American citizen and legal immigrant unemployment go down substantially but we could allow in more legal immigration.

Win/win if you ask me.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 AM

309 posts, read 428,488 times
NumbersUSA states that for the first 200 years this country had 200,000 immigrants on average per year. If I remember correctly, they said from 1976 to 1990 it was up to 250,000 immigrants on average per year. That figure is now up to 1,000,000 on average per year of legal immigrants and an additional 1,000,000 per year illegal. That being said, I would agree with enforcing our existing immigration laws and reducing legal immigration as well. The Las Vegas Sun has reported and I've provided the link on other forums here that an unemployed citizen was interviewed who is competing with day laborers for work. I would not be surprised to learn this is the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited by SDBorn; 12-03-2009 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-03-2009, 10:00 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,099,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
Groups like Numbers USA which are pushing for lower levels of legal and illegal immigration are saying that much of our high unemployment rate is due to immigration. Others are saying that without high immigration our unemployment rate would be even higher. They say that all the new immigrants who are flooding into America are creating new jobs and companies because of their hard work and innovation.

If we lowered legal and illegal immigration the unemployment rate would go down because we would now have jobs for US Citizens.

OR

If we lower immigration levels the economy would be hurt and unemployment would go up because there would be less talented people who work hard, bring in new ideas and take jobs Americans do not want or have an expertise to do well.

When they have done immigration raids on businesses AMERICANS have lined up in the hundres to get those jobs. Lower immigration and deportation of illegals would open jobs for citizens, raise wages and lower crime. A win all the way around.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,155,813 times
Even if I would have voted for Obama, he would have lost my vote the day he proclaimed that there would be no more immigration raids. Illegal immigration is purely anti-American, and loosening the enforcement measures intended to curb such is a slap in the face of every working American.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,198 times
Angry Illegal or legal immigration at this point should be stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post

OR

---
I agree with the first opinion. Let's face it, what drives this is cheap labor not any lack of qualified people. The cost of the current, short term, thinking will be felt in the future when a lack of planning for the future will cost much more than is saved in the short term.

Americans have managed to develop the most advanced culture and technology on the planet. We're supposed to believe that others from those countries which have failed for thousands of years to produce what we have can somehow make our future better.

We're giving away America. Our greed is giving away America.

Have nothing against those from other countries. Simply feel that the argument above to do with both illegal and legal immigration is beyond rediculous. These high tech jobs aren't that complicated, I can teach an auto worker to design and develop databases, all they needed was to see that the days of rediculous pay for not thinking are over.

We as Americans have to help other Americans first. Reality is, this is a big world and we're just one country whose inhabitants don't truly understand that the rest of the world is out to get what we've got.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Let me get this straight.....

-Spend your way out of debt and into a recovery ?
-Pass massive spending bills that will reduce the deficit ?
-State that open borders and massive immigration create jobs ?
-And then claim you won't tax the majority of the people ?

I'm sorry..but at what point will people stand up and say "ENOUGH OF THE BULLSH*T" ?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:50 PM

285 posts, read 750,902 times
I'm Spanish.
In the last 12 years we have "received" nearly 8 millions of immigrants.
We have now 6 milllions of unemployees, and nearly 3 millions od grant-aided people (PER and similar).
Salaries in ALL sectors have gone down dramatically.
Social benefits have been reduced too.
We still receive hundreds of thousands of immigrants every year, due to the lax immigration laws here (officially 315.000 last year).

Karl Marx said that in a capitalist society the salary was inversely proportional to the number of job petitioners.
And the capitalist put into work that theory using the massive immigration as a social and labour dumping tool.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:59 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,910,380 times
It's not as simple as all of that --

When we look at unemployment in this country, we might have to start with how many people there are on the entitlement level that are just fine with raising their kids on welfare .. then, we might have to look at all of those kids going to school to get worthless Liberal Arts Degrees .. then ... maybe ... we might have to take a look at immigration ..

Immigration is probably only 4th or 5th on the list of importance when we look at unemployment in this country.

The trouble with Americans is that there aren't enough of them these days that know how to do anything.

Mike Rowe: America Has a Dysfunctional Relationship with Work - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies