Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 12:23 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,169,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The DEMOCRATS are the ones that want to shutdown government! If you going to start a bashing thread, at least have your facts straight.

FAIL.
Just because you repeat this over and over does not make it any less false. Support your candidate and be proactive in their campaign helping them to win an election. See how easy that is? backatchya

Old 09-29-2013, 12:24 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,350,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please...less than .5% of 'pre-existing' was ever denied

who DENYS the most coverage............the government

you want affordable health care....just how will you pay for it...nothing is free my friend

think singlepayer would be cheaper......to cover 320 million people would cost the taxpayers 3 trillion (using a medicare type 80/20 coverage) to 6 trillion (using a Medicaid 100% type coverage) and that with the '''low''' reimbursement rate that the government gives, and the high deny rate the government gives
Taxes can pay for it.

And where the hell did you get .5% of pre-existing conditions were ever denied? My ass they were. Most people I have spoken to have had a conflict arise with their insurance because of a pre-existing condition issue. Healthcare expenses are the number one driving factor in bankruptcies in this country.

You conservatives love to spout nonsense numbers. The things you all say.

The government does NOT deny coverage. I work in medicaid managed care insurance (well, did. Temporary hiatus). No pre-existing condition clause can exist for medicaid or medicare. Get your facts straight please. I swear, I can't take the nonsense and the fear mongering from you people.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,536,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
The debt limit was raised 7 times under Bush and 18 under Reagan. It has been raised 2 times under Obama. A country is not like one's own personal finances. There are much more sane and rational ways to tackle debt problems other than causing the government to go into default.

and??????

let's see debt limit when bush took office 5.9 trillion (set in 1997)
debt limit when bush left office and Obama came in 11.3 trillion
current limit 17. trillion

hmmm bush 6 trillion, Obama 6 trillion (debt limit 1997-present)

5,365 posts, read 6,350,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Our federal government does NOT help our economy. In fact, it is the largest harm to our economy to exist.

It will NOT hurt the economy to tear it down to 1/3 size.
Go away. You are one of those people who it is absolutely worthless to have a discussion on this board with. You make the most absurd claims with not a bit of accredited evidence and when proven wrong you whine and throw fits like a bratty child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives are staring at demographic extinction on the national level and at the state level of many of the most populous states. They are terrified of the future of Texas because once that state becomes competitive, it is over.

Now, much like a lot of businesses find themselves in a declining yet still profitable sector, the Republican party has that choice that many companies fail to make, which is to transition from their cash cow sector that is declining over into potential new areas of growth.

It is an extremely difficult choice because the new sector of potential growth is guaranteed to lose money and it will destroy their cash cow sector.

This is where the Republican party is right now. They have their old reliable voters and donors which are profitable and which will win them elections around the nation for a long time, but that batch of voters is declining. Worse the voters who support the conservative party don't get they are declining in electoral significance because for most of their lives people who looked them were all that mattered in politics.

If you are a 60 year conservative voter the world the political world you came of age in is a different one from 2013. Yet, many of those voters still think they represent the majority of American opinion and of course they no longer do.

These failing desperation tactics by the conservative party are in fealty to voters and not being able to be honest with their supporters. That those supporters will be or are no longer enough for the party to remain viable in national and many of the most populous state elections over the long term.

And so because they see no national electoral victories. They are afraid of losing many governors seats next election. They are afraid they won't gain the Senate and they are worried that in 2016 they'll lose the House.

So they have to rally the voting base who hates President Obama, thinks the rest of the nation feels the same, and they think people see Obamacare in the same Apocalyptic terms.

conservatives in part believe this based on polls that show that many Americans don't approve of the law.

But that is mostly because Americans are skeptical and confused about just what the law will do and if it will work, but conservative voters don't read the polls like, oh Americans are just expressing some level of skepticism about the law.

Instead conservatives read their own insane thoughts about the health care law into those poll results and they see it as proof that their opinion still represents the majority American opinion.
I wonder if all extinctions are so tumultuous when their end is nearing...

Old 09-29-2013, 12:33 AM

The good news is that it seems like the GOP might be backing away from the idea of a government shutdown. The bad news is that they’re only not doing it so that they can default on the debt. Government shutdown, or defaulting on the debt? So little time, and so many ways to harm America.

Randi Rhodes - Listen Live 3-6pm EST

Old 09-29-2013, 12:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,221,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Go away. You are one of those people who it is absolutely worthless to have a discussion on this board with. You make the most absurd claims with not a bit of accredited evidence and when proven wrong you whine and throw fits like a bratty child.
Did the economy crash after the sequester? How about when Clinton shut down the government? We keep hearing these doomsday claims by Democrats, that if only we do this, and that, the world will end.

Guess what, it wont.. Even if government shuts down, you'll wake up tomorrow and go to work, and wont even notice much of a difference.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,456,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Our federal government does NOT help our economy. In fact, it is the largest harm to our economy to exist.

It will NOT hurt the economy to tear it down to 1/3 size.
Then move to somewhere with minimal government and see how much you like it. For ease of language barriers, maybe Jamaica?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,536,506 times
Quote:
Taxes can pay for it.

And where the hell did you get .5% of pre-existing conditions were ever denied? My ass they were. Most people I have spoken to have had a conflict arise with their insurance because of a pre-existing condition issue. Healthcare expenses are the number one driving factor in bankruptcies in this country.

The government does NOT deny coverage. I work in medicaid managed care insurance (well, did. Temporary hiatus). No pre-existing condition clause can exist for medicaid or medicare. Get your facts straight please. I swear, I can't take the nonsense and the fear mongering from you people.
oh please, you are all over the place

1. anyone can get on group health insurance (get a job) and there IS NO PRE EXISTING denials
2. the ONLY denial of pre existing was for SINGLE health insurance, and 99.5 % of insurance companies DID NOT deny, yes they charge more (you are after all a higher RISK)
3 the reason for bankruptsies is FAILURE to PAY YOUR BILLS..the LIE of it being health care related has been debunked many times
4. yes the GOVERMNENT denies care (never said it was about pre existing)....you say you worked Medicaid...then I KNOW you saw many denials..."mediciad doesn't cover that"..."sorry mediciad wont approve that"

be it Medicaid, medicare, tri-care, or the VA..the government is inFAMOUS for its denial of care

Old 09-29-2013, 12:36 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,283,288 times
Quote:
Taxes can pay for it.

I already debunked that, well actually the US and Canadian government did, but I linked the data for you previously.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/31039949-post72.html

Healthcare bills aren't causing people to go bankrupt. The Canadian bankruptcy rate is close to ours and depending on the year actually higher.

http://www.medlib.ch/documents/09%20...uptcyRates.pdf
Bankruptcy: Comparing Ourselves With Our Neighbor to the North - Megan McArdle - The Atlantic (numerous links, including a Canadian study on bankruptcy)

Working Families in Financial Crisis: Medical Debt and Bankruptcy

"Nor is there any evidence that medical bankruptcies are creating any sort of crisis for the bankruptcy system or that the percentage of medical bankruptcies has been rising over time."

http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/...10th/36783.PDF

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/bsf-osb.nsf/vwapj/Redish-Sarra-Schabas-2006-ENG.pdf/$FILE/Redish-Sarra-Schabas-2006-ENG.pdf

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies