Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times

Advertisements

Research into a safe, effective male birth control "pill" is ongoing, and it seems reasonable some such pill may be available in the near future. I wonder what effect such a pill might have on the rate of unintended pregnancy.

Part of me thinks that it may lower the rate of unintended pregnancy dramatically. The excuse men usually give for not using condoms id they don't "feel good." If that weren't an issue, and if the male pill were cheap and readily available, perhaps more men would use contraception.

But another part of me is more skeptical. Some men might balk at the idea of taking anything that would alter their body chemistry. They might fear it would make them ill or impotent, even if such fears were unfounded. Some men even seem to enjoy "getting over" on women--i.e. getting them pregnant and getting away with not paying child support.

There are so many factors to consider beyond the medical ones. What do people think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
I think unintended pregnancies would increase, at least among single women, as men of dubious integrity are heard to murmur, "It's okay, babe. I'm on the Pill."

Old 11-26-2013, 10:44 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
No two ways about it Roger, there is no 100 percent effectiveness of any birth control. He could forget to take just as much as women do.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:45 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
If any of my ex bf's would have been on the male pill, I would probably have had 20 abortions by now.

If they forget to take out the trash even though it is right in front of them, they are certainly not to be trusted to take a pill every day at a specific time.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Reduce pregnancy but increase STDs. Not sure how to measure that trade off.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
My understanding is that a male pill was invented in the 60s, soon after the female version. But it had the same side effects as a the female pill -- greatly decreased sex drive for most takers -- and women were more willing to accept that than men.

And the result is that we now have this bizarre cultural belief that women's sex drive is naturally less than men's. You don't see that belief in cultures where hormonal birth control is less pervasive.

And of course there is the problem of whether women will believe men who say they are on the pill. Many men with vasectomies are disappointed to find that, for casual sex, women still require condoms for backup and for STI prevention.

A male pill, like a vasectomy, would only be useful in LTRs where trust is high. And where there is an imbalance in libido when she is off the pill.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,377 times
Nothing would change. As others have stated most men would probably forget to take it. Honestly, as men we can be such horndogs, that we are too focused to get some, to be thinking about what we could for birth control. I mean heck all it takes is two seconds to put on a condom, and a lot of men act like that takes too much effort.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
It might increase the rate of unintended pregnancy, if some men weren't honest about taking it, or if it failed. Women's oral contraception fails if the woman is on antibiotics. If women want to avoid pregnancy, they have to take responsibility for that. If men don't want to be trapped into fatherhood, they, also, need to take responsibility for themselves. And then there's the STD issue.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
My understanding is that a male pill was invented in the 60s, soon after the female version. But it had the same side effects as a the female pill -- greatly decreased sex drive for most takers -- and women were more willing to accept that than men.

And the result is that we now have this bizarre cultural belief that women's sex drive is naturally less than men's. You don't see that belief in cultures where hormonal birth control is less pervasive....

LOL, so then no one would have sex and no one would care

They say being on the pill alters a woman's preference in men too... I wonder if the same would be true of a male version of the pill?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Research into a safe, effective male birth control "pill" is ongoing, and it seems reasonable some such pill may be available in the near future. I wonder what effect such a pill might have on the rate of unintended pregnancy.

Part of me thinks that it may lower the rate of unintended pregnancy dramatically. The excuse men usually give for not using condoms id they don't "feel good." If that weren't an issue, and if the male pill were cheap and readily available, perhaps more men would use contraception.

But another part of me is more skeptical. Some men might balk at the idea of taking anything that would alter their body chemistry. They might fear it would make them ill or impotent, even if such fears were unfounded. Some men even seem to enjoy "getting over" on women--i.e. getting them pregnant and getting away with not paying child support.

There are so many factors to consider beyond the medical ones. What do people think?
So far two women have responded with comments that allude to men being too irresponsible to be trusted to properly medicate.

But doesn't such a bias seem extreme?
Women on this very forum claim that they want unintended pregnancies just as much as men. And that women are not lieing to guys about being on the pill to trap a man.

And yet, the very responses above assume that men would be incompetent, or devious regarding such medication.

So women, if you become pregnant, you realize it's 2013 and DNA testing is available and automatic electronic paycheck deductions occur for child support.

It's like men are running around sexing everything with no consequences.

caveman 1: "Ooga booga Phil, How many you do this week? I'm at 7, and I have a chance for 4 mini me's in 9 months."
caveman 2: "Ooga booga Bill, Been a slow week. I'm at 2, but I did it 6 times with one, so it's likely I'll have to change my identity cause I lied about being on the pill. The feeling of sex just so much better without latex. I used the, Don't worry baby, I'm on the pill. line. She fell for it hook line and sinker. I wonder how this kid will look. ooga booga."

I would take that pill ASAP, as I personally have considered a vasectomy.
It would be so awesome to know I could personally better control my chance of having a child instead of relying on someone else or a condom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies