Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:25 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,461,958 times

Advertisements

moderate? did I read moderate. bill maher is an idiot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 10:27 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Not nearly so much with conservatives as with liberals.
You only say that because you are a conservative. They both lie to varying degrees on a variety of issues. They all lie to get into office and all they do is try and make the other look bad. As far as I can tell, both of our parties are part of the same political view: the obstructionists. They're more concerned with their own goals than the goals of the people.

Quote:
Similar to how we don't care about the environment, we think all poor people are lazy, we are racist and homophobic, we want to control womens' bodies, etc.
Conservatives do fine in economics for the most part. As I said, the rich are the only people actually benefiting from many conservative policies, so it's evident to me that they have a horrid social policy. And they really do. I don't necessarily think they're racist, but homophobic much of the time. Some are more lenient and rather than saying gay people aren't deserving, they can have civil unions. So be it. This is an opinion though. It's not based on anything concrete (religious texts aren't concrete). Many republicans are homophobic, the degree to which they are varies. In general, I'd see things like saying 'I'm not against gays, I just don't want them to be regarded as equal' as bigotry that has no place in politics.

Quote:
It's a worldview based on emotion and how things "should" be.
What's wrong with that? Moving the world away from war and greed and into peace and equality sounds pretty good to me. And I'm not saying democrats are doing this. I think both major parties are outdated and need to be replaced (or at least need serious competition from other parties).

Quote:
It isn't smart. It's emotion.
I have yet to hear a liberal say evolution should not be taught in schools, or at least be taught along side creationism. Liberals regard science as important. What's not smart about that?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:29 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,213,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
nope

Liberalism works is my opinion.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, or delusion. Rather than relying on others telling you how liberalism works, why don't you get educated yourself. I would start with reading "Economics 101" and "World History 101."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Everything else i said was a fact.
You said that CA economy is the most productive. Go ahead, provide a source for that statement.

You said that CA economy is the most efficient in the Union. Go ahead, provide a source for this too.

Yes, CA is the largest state economy in the US. But that did not start and spring up in the last 20 year when CA went liberal full-blow.

In fact in the last several years, CA's economy, as a percentage of the overall US economy has shrunk. I provided the link in an earlier post.

CA is also the worst-run state in the Union, according to this The Best and Worst Run States in America: A Survey of All 50 - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I can't wait for the economically irrelevant Red South to secede. The median IQ Of this nation would instantly shoot up 100 points.
When you(left) living in the clouds with your head up your ass, I could see how someone would think this.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,079,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
moderate? did I read moderate. bill maher is an idiot
Actually Bill Maher calls himself a libertarian. I don't know what kind of libertarian holds California as a role model.

This guy are not even able to identify what kind of opinions he has, so then why should we listen to anything else he got to say.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:47 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,213,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Conservatives do fine in economics for the most part. As I said, the rich are the only people actually benefiting from many conservative policies, so it's evident to me that they have a horrid social policy. And they really do. I don't necessarily think they're racist, but homophobic much of the time. Some are more lenient and rather than saying gay people aren't deserving, they can have civil unions. So be it. This is an opinion though. It's not based on anything concrete (religious texts aren't concrete). Many republicans are homophobic, the degree to which they are varies. In general, I'd see things like saying 'I'm not against gays, I just don't want them to be regarded as equal' as bigotry that has no place in politics.
You are confusing conservative with republican. They overlap in some aspects but, they differ in many others.

I think this distinction will become clearer in the re-alignment we are probably about to go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Moving the world away from war and greed and into peace and equality sounds pretty good to me.
That's wonderful, I would love it too. So let's have that discussion. Equality might mean something different to you and me, but hey let's throw a blanket there.

I think the discussion of human spirit and the community spirit is very relevant to California.

So, let's start -- please define equality.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:53 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,832,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Actually Bill Maher calls himself a libertarian. I don't know what kind of libertarian holds California as a role model.

This guy are not even able to identify what kind of opinions he has, so then why should we listen to anything else he got to say.
Bill Maher is a tool.

He might hold 10% of the same views as libertarian, otherwise be is a complete statist who thinks the government is the solution to every problem.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:58 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,602 times
Quote:

Lol, then he really needs to lay off the crack pipe.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:00 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
You are confusing conservative with republican. They overlap in some aspects but, they differ in many others.

I think this distinction will become clearer in the re-alignment we are probably about to go through.
Conservatives are anti-progress. They hold tradition to higher value than change, even if change makes more sense. Example being gay marriage. I have yet to hear a good reason as to why two men can't get married, but that doesn't matter. It's change, so it's wrong. This is a fairly accurate description of the current republican party.

I won't say conservatism is wrong. It isn't always. It would depend on what you're talking about. Civil rights are my favorite area. Conservative have historically never been right on any civil issue. Slavery was ended, despite tradition (republicans were once socially liberal). Why would they be right in regards to gay marriage or they're made up version of history where all the founding fathers were devoted Christians.

For whatever reason, the current republicans are very anti-secularism. And that's all fine and dandy, but they claim to support the constitution, which makes it clear what the relation of church and state is to be. The relation is separation, which is basically the simplified definition of secularism.

Quote:
So, let's start -- please define equality.
Everyone having the same rights and opportunities would be equality.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:08 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:

You can't listen to what he says because he skewers your FOX News supplied talking points and makes conservatives look foolish.

Of course, the mainstream media would never do this, as they have to give off the appearance of neutrality, which is really BS, because what they are really doing is enabling conservative obstruction, wars, and wasteful spending.

Cruz, Bachmann, King, Gohmert, these people are mainstream Republicans today! They are a comedians best. friend, but Maher knows what their party is doing to this country is NOT funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies