Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

Leftists (in both parties) have been moving the nation to the left for decades. Spending has exploded, goinjg up and up; deficits have soared, regulations and restrictions have been choking the nation for all that time and have been exploding as fast as the debt.

With the passage of Obamacare in the middle of the night, the American people finally said, "Enough". WIth the full House up for election at the next election in 2010, they elected a large number of Republicans whose slogan was "Taxed Enough Already" ("TEA Party"), for the purpose of stopping the insane spending by Republicans and Democrats alike. To everyone's surprise (and the horror of the leftists), those new Republicans are sticking to their promises, and moving to halt the constant spending increases and out-of-control borrowing.

It's clearly the only possible response. Continuing the headlong charge into debts impossible to repay, is long, slow (or maybe not so slow) suicide. Continuing the constant barrage of more regulation, more restriction, more government intrusion into everyone's lives, is as unconscionable as it is destructive.

The same leftists are screaming, Yes, yes! More of the same! More of the same! Don't change course! ...and have refused to even talk to the Republicans, much less negotiate or, God help them, compromise. (Yesterday Obama came out with a great one-liner, esentially saying, Sure, I'm willing to negotiate and compromise... AFTER you Republicans completely cave to everything I want!)

Whose fault is the present impasse?

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 10-09-2013 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Whose in charge of the House?

Republicans.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Washington is at fault. To deny either side's complicity in this is ignorant.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
It's the fault of every president after Eisenhower.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Republicans.
Who is in charge of the Senate and Presidency, both of whom want to continue the frantic charge to the left, and who refuse to even talk to the Republicans that the American people elected to stop it?

Democrats.

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Continuing the headlong charge into debts impossible to repay, is long, slow (or maybe not so slow) suicide.
No, it isn't. It is the normal state of affairs in a fiat-money economy. The amount of currency should expand to meet the size of a growing economy, otherwise you have persistent deflation.

If we had no debt, we'd have no currency.

Quote:
Continuing the constant barrage of more regulation, more restriction, more government intrusion into everyone's lives, is as unconscionable as it is destructive.

The same leftists are screaming, Yes, yes! More of the same! More of the same! Don't change course! ...and have refused to even talk to the Republicans, much less negotiate or, God help them, compromise. (Yesterday Obama came out with a great one-liner, esentially saying, Sure, I'm willing to negotiate and compromise... AFTER you Republicans completely cave to everything I want!)

Whose fault is the present impasse?
The practice of letting banks create most of the money in the United States is killing our middle class.

The people who want to balance the budget, whether they know it or not, want the banks to create ALL of the money in the United States economy, which would make the American middle class debt slaves, basically indistinguishable with the poor.

The ONLY way a balanced federal budget is fair to the middle class, is if the Federal Reserve stopped lending to banks. Tea Partiers don't grasp this part of the equation, which is probably why they think spending cuts are some kind of panacea.

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Republicans.
and who is unwilling to even discuss what they are willing to cut? All we are hearing is: raise the ceiling and we will talk. That is like saying That is like our kids saying: mom, dad, raise my allowance and then I will talk about ways I can save some of it or make it go further...What is so hard to understand about all this? How many times have we heard our President say: I will not negotiate but I will talk if you do what I want first?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:

With the passage of Obamacare in the middle of the night, the American people finally said, "Enough".
Except the American Peopleā„¢ said no such thing having voted for Bush and Obama twice respectively.

Quote:
To everyone's surprise (and the horror of the leftists), those new Republicans are sticking to their promises, and moving to halt the constant spending increases and out-of-control borrowing.
Ah, sorry but the impasse isn't about raising the debt limit, since the claim is that they will vote FOR it if only the ACA is defunded. Sorry but that dog won't hunt.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM

I see the usual wishful thinking that has kept the headlong charge to the left going all these years, of being marshalled once again.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Most nations with fiat-money currency are locked into the same headlong charge toward disaster.
So, in your view, which countries are not headed towards disaster ?

What country would you choose as the "Model" of monetary economics?

Seriously, name ONE country that does not use a fiat currency, that's doing well. One.

Quote:
True. But it shouldn't outstrip it and go charging off into Never-never land far ahead of any growth, as we are doing.
Yeah, but that excessive debt is caused by private sector credit, due to lax rules on banking institutions. That is how home prices rose in the bubble: by private banks utilizing the Fed's (infinite) line of credit.

This is why private credit outstanding is about $60 trillion, while public debt outstanding is only about $16 trillion. The banks created the majority of our $76 trillion worth of debt.

Quote:
Ridiculous. Did you read that in a fortune cookie or something?
It's the basics of fiat currency. If you don't understand that, then you will forever be lost when it comes to this topic. Currency is debt. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Quote:
Only if we had no economic activity at all, would we have no currency.
That's incorrect, but I'll play along : How do you figure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies