Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
How will that play out? The Democratic party has gone too far left and voters will continue to find themselves ideologically closer to the Republican party.
Romney ran on that exact platform and you saw how well that worked.

Everyone who signs up for insurance under the ACA and gets needed medical treatment will vote Democrat for decades. The Republicans have made sure of that by opposing it at every step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:40 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Where's the lie?

And if, indeed, 3,000 people in one state signed up on the first day, it's a pretty good indicator that they were eager to do so. If it were something they were being forced to do, they'd most likely wait til the last minute.

So many people seem to grossly underestimate how many people are desperate for medical care. The ACA may or may not solve all the problems, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think this program is going to be popular with people who have been going without treatment because they can't afford it.

And here's something else for you to ponder--every person who signs up for it and likes will have Democrats to thank. Hmmmm. Wonder how that will play out in elections to come.
Here's something to ponder... I checked it out and it was expensive!!! Twice the cost of a private plan, and even more than that for a HSA. According to the site, income must be above the poverty level to receive a subsidy. It didn't make any sense.

Because this is supposed to be for the least who can afford it, I entered my income as being 80% of poverty level. My bronze plan would cost $9k a year with a $12k out of pocket per year. It calculated that I didn't qualify for a subsidy and the plan would cost 67% of my total income.

If anyone "likes" this pricing, I'll be amazed. It's like a bait and switch where they double the price and then put it on sale for 30% off.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:40 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
No, you are required to have insurance, not required to sign up at an Exchange.

I expect sign-ups will have a slow start, there are many options to choose from and coverage doesn't start until 2014.
I'm sure it is going to be a slow start.

The pace will pick up in the spring once all of the freeloaders pile in, and by next year at this time, it will be going even faster as corporations figure to dump their healthcare insurance liabilities on to their employees and the government subsidies.

In 18 months it will be going even faster as people paying outside of the exchange find loopholes in the system that will get them better coverage inside of the government sponsored exchanges with lower premiums ..

Between the insurance companies, the tax lawyers, and the CPA's, it's going to be Christmas and New Years and Birthday, all rolled up into one .. If the U.S. Government can pay $800.00 for a screwdriver, I can just imagine what sort of money the Government would be willing to pay in fraudulent subsidies and invoicing to those who have chosen to milk the system.

It will be a boon for America really, in that this whole piece of healthcare reform act is just screaming to be abused by the huddled masses (the biggest mistake the Government did whilst writing this stupid piece of entitlement riddled garbage was to include the IRS - The IRS and the Welfare systems in this nation are two of the biggest, slowest, dumbest, least over sighted, entities on the planet)

Abuse notwithstanding, we'll also have all of those other tweaks and twerks that the Government is famous for - Look at Social Security -- Look at what Social Security was written to do, and then look at what it does now - It's used as a money pit to augment the general fund - Money "borrowed" so that we can go to war in nations that don't even matter ... And I don't even need to go into all of the Medicare fiascos, do I? .. Sure, we all know how much of a screaming success this is going to be ..

The Government is going to come out on the short end of even a shorter stick, and in the long run, the program itself will become unsustainable far faster than any other government program to date.

/pops popcorn - sits back and watches the show/

Last edited by bigskydude; 10-03-2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 03:51 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Here's something to ponder... I checked it out and it was expensive!!! Twice the cost of a private plan, and even more than that for a HSA. According to the site, income must be above the poverty level to receive a subsidy. It didn't make any sense.

Because this is supposed to be for the least who can afford it, I entered my income as being 80% of poverty level. My bronze plan would cost $9k a year with a $12k out of pocket per year. It calculated that I didn't qualify for a subsidy and the plan would cost 67% of my total income.

If anyone "likes" this pricing, I'll be amazed. It's like a bait and switch where they double the price and then put it on sale for 30% off.
I just did roughly the same thing and came out with very different numbers--less than 10% of my total income. And when I put in a family of 3 making $40,000 the premium was less than $1,000 per year.

So, I'm not sure on the numbers. Maybe everyone will hate it. I don't know. But I'd much rather be hearing real discussions about how it works and whether it can help people access medical care than all the usual knee-jerk blow-hard stuff about parasites and chip implanting.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:01 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I just did roughly the same thing and came out with very different numbers--less than 10% of my total income. And when I put in a family of 3 making $40,000 the premium was less than $1,000 per year.

So, I'm not sure on the numbers. Maybe everyone will hate it. I don't know. But I'd much rather be hearing real discussions about how it works and whether it can help people access medical care than all the usual knee-jerk blow-hard stuff about parasites and chip implanting.
Did you look to see what your average deductible would be?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
How will that play out? The Democratic party has gone too far left and voters will continue to find themselves ideologically closer to the Republican party.
Oh please, what nonsense! That's just sheer delusion. Romney would've won the 2012 election easily. I didn't vote for Obama, but your way of thinking is foolish. The GOP has embraced a very divisive platform (religiousness, anti-gay, anti-abortion). And, it's still seen as the party for the wealthy.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I read that Kentucky had 3,000 already signed up. They had already had an outreach program. The way it was marketed most people probably didn't know it was Obamacare or the ACA just that is was a great Kentucky program. I think it was called KYNECT. Kind of funny when you think of all the Republicans who hate Obama signing up. Heres a link.
Ky. health exchange enrolls thousands in first days | Daily Dose with Lisa Bernard-Kuhn
Obamacare needs over 100,000 a day to sign up, in order to come close to their estimates..

Old 10-03-2013, 04:20 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
6,900 accounts as of Wednesday afternoon on the Colorado exchange.

Colorado health exchange says error messages are "being cleared up" - The Denver Post

Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

I thought that someone who was under the poverty level was supposed to get a subsidy?

How in the hell would anyone think a "bronze" plan that costs $9k a year and exposes you to another $12k OOP is a good value? What kind of deductible were you getting?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obamacare needs over 100,000 a day to sign up, in order to come close to their estimates..
Not everyone is going to sign up the first day, week, or month. It doesn't even take effect until next year. A good example is my wife. She has a choice of 9 bronze plans. With one she could keep her doctor but she is thinking of leaving the same plan she has had for 25 years. By the way she is going to pay the full price. I took a look at the plans. She hasn't even had time. Some people work or are very busy. Most people wont be on board until 2015 anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies