Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:03 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Indeed! It seems people these days are just looking for something to be offended about. Pick a topic, and someone will be "offended" about something. If, for no other reason, just to draw attention to themselves.

This seems, especially prevalent, in religious and race issues. Someone gets "offended"about by a nativity scene in a mall at Christmas, or a word that sounds similar to the dreaded N word sets off a torrent of "offense". Its not really that a lot of people are like this, the ones that are, are just loud, obnoxious, and won't go away.

Coupled with the fawning attention the media gives them, it's like drinking gasoline and pizzing on a brushfire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:05 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Do you think we are addicted to fake outrage?

No doubt some folks are. A short visit to the Politics and Other Controversies forum will confirm that phony outrage would appear to be the primary activity for a certain segment of the political spectrum.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No doubt some folks are. A short visit to the Politics and Other Controversies forum will confirm that phony outrage would appear to be the primary activity for a certain segment of the political spectrum.
LOL Other forums are not much better.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:42 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
The world would be a much better place if people weren't so GD easily offended!

Old 10-06-2013, 02:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Absolutely!!!

And, no, I do not blame the media...that's just BS people invoke to shrug off responsibility for anything and everything. If the media is supposedly serving up sensationalized incidents to incite totally bogus outrage, it is because this is what a huge chunk of the public wants.

Outrage allows people to ride an emotional high of self-righteousness. And there is nothing so characteristic of the changes in American society in the past thirty years than the constant puking stream of self-righteousness that has destroyed all intelligent discourse.
I do blame the media because for a long time, people have looked to them for information.
They are not just informers, but idea makers, as well.

Yes, now everyone is addicted to fake outrage, spoonfed to them by the media.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I'm sick of people demanding public apologies. They have become meaningless.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've been reading a very interesting article by David Sirota -Political journalist, best-selling author and syndicated newspaper columnist

"It's outrageous that President Obama gets driven around in a limo! It's outrageous that John McCain wore expensive shoes! It's outrageous that Michael Phelps smoked some weed! Welcome, as I say in my newest newspaper column, to a nation now addicted to fake outrage -- a nation that feeds on made-up controversies about total non-issues. And if we don't break our dependency, we're really not going to solve the huge challenges we desperately need to solve."

You can read the whole article here

David Sirota: Our Addiction to Fake Outrage

Do you agree with the author, do you believe we are addicted to fake outrage?
This "fake outrage" is just a side effect of the internet, where people come to spill all sorts of crap that may or may not be true. You can shut the Tv off, but the internet is everywhere. People stopped being educated by parents, and in turn they are "educated" by Google, and the likes! That's why this non sense is perpetuated and we've become very sensitive to whatever a fly says.

We really need to take a step back, and return to interacting with people rather than phones, and use the internet as a tool, and not as a means to live.

On the flip side, it is quite outrageous that those in charge have a need to show off! ....and are paid to keep the masses uninsured!

Old 10-06-2013, 04:26 PM

234 posts, read 184,753 times
People, but especially American people, are addicted to feeling something, particularly when there is nothing else to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
This "fake outrage" is just a side effect of the internet, where people come to spill all sorts of crap that may or may not be true. You can shut the Tv off, but the internet is everywhere. People stopped being educated by parents, and in turn they are "educated" by Google, and the likes! That's why this non sense is perpetuated and we've become very sensitive to whatever a fly says.

We really need to take a step back, and return to interacting with people rather than phones, and use the internet as a tool, and not as a means to live.

Precisely, tho I don't understand how anyone can want more government ownership of individual privacy thru the ACA or any other agency.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 AM

624 posts, read 939,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
People, but especially American people, are addicted to feeling something, particularly when there is nothing else to do.
Good point. I guess this is a consequence of the showing/being in touch with you feelings movement so popular in psychology since the 70s. Pandora's box.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 AM

624 posts, read 939,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowborn View Post
Perhaps we have to stop the 24 hour news stations, who are trying to fill in every minute with some story that catches our interests. I am always amazed at how many reports are based on "while we don't know the whole story, this is what possibly could be going on. I'd rather get "just the facts", and not "well, in this scenario, this is possible...etc... News is supposed to inform, not confuse. I think that's why I enjoy BBC news, Free Speech TV news shows, and Al Jazerra news. I even learn more from "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Show" than regular news feeds!
I'm with you on that, moscowborn. It always kills me that the 24-hour networks spend most of the day on the same few stories when there's so much news in the world, much of it being of more consequence.
Anderson Cooper, whom I used to respect, can obsess on a single story for ages. He just ran yet another special report on the death of Michael Jackson, for example. It's fair to say the rest of us have happily moved on. Filling time has definitely made news networks more sensational. That, and their metrics/strategies for viewer loyalty. Having interactive websites and social media accounts for viewer feedback (Tell us what you think!) further encourages preoccupation with sensational stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies