Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,954,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
When Democrats such as Pelosi and others refer to their Republican colleagues and elected officials as "arsonists" and "Taliban" and "insurgents" and "jihadists," why are they not accused of hate speech and inciting violence as a public safety concern? Why are they not sued for libel and slander?

I fail to see the metaphor or figurative use of this type of language in the public sphere, when they are aware of how literally their words will be taken.

When have Republicans used such vile and disgusting words to refer to their Democrat colleagues? Is there any equivalent?

Furthermore, I find it offensive and degrading to our American service members and our first responders and firefighters who faced the arsonists, Taliban, jihadists, and insurgents in a genuine fight for their lives as well as our country's.

We have sunk so low since the members of Congress stood on the Capitol Building steps in 2001 and sang "God Bless America" together after the 9/11 attacks.

Perhaps the Navy Yard shooting would have been a time of reflection for the President and Congress. However, even though the shooting took place only blocks from the White House, President Obama coolly and unemotionally delivered his political rhetoric on tv, with smiling people standing behind him. Then he simply gave yet another divisive political speech and went on with his day while they counted the bodies of the most recent shooting.
Sue them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,269,082 times
Googling to find specific examples. And I see that this is the meme for today because all the RWNJ sites have published it, so it's crowded everything else off Google search. So you got your talking points via email from RWNJs and obediently came here to cut and paste.

Are you paid for this?

Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,825,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Googling to find specific examples. And I see that this is the meme for today because all the RWNJ sites have published it, so it's crowded everything else off Google search. So you got your talking points via email from RWNJs and obediently came here to cut and paste.

Are you paid for this?
Just easily herded.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,466,602 times
Quote:
What specific examples are you able to use? None.
Oh I love how you immediately dismiss it, because there are book long claims about evil liberals by conservatives...and film long claims...

I could quote Ann Coulter, and Michael Savage, but some one has already compiled a list of offensive comments before getting sick with humanity. Glenn Beck has Nazi tourettes about Liberals. It's also most of the topics of Rush Limbaughs show. Add in places like World Nut Daily, News Max, and American Thinker...which have articles insulting liberals daily....and there's lots of examples. You can even go down the threads here on C-D.

I know it sucks being wrong, but you need to kind of deal with it. Closing your eyes, sticking your fingers in your ears, and screaming that you can't hear it will not make reality go away. I have seen willful ignorance before, but this about takes the cake in delusion.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,571,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Just easily herded.
Stupid lemmings.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,371,118 times
This is too funny. Out of the woodwork have come obvious Democrats doing what? Name calling. So I guess the correct response to the original question is most probably a resounding, "Yes!"

Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM

408 posts, read 394,132 times
Quote:
When Democrats such as Pelosi and others refer to their Republican colleagues and elected officials as "arsonists" and "Taliban" and "insurgents" and "jihadists," why are they not accused of hate speech and inciting violence as a public safety concern? Why are they not sued for libel and slander?

I fail to see the metaphor or figurative use of this type of language in the public sphere, when they are aware of how literally their words will be taken.
Two things. One, "libel and slander" fall under the broader umbrella of defamation, which is the legal term in use (there's not really a distinction drawn between types of defamation any longer). I don't care to get into a long discussion about the minutiae of defamation and what it is or isn't, however. Two, and just FYI, the Speech or Debate Clause in Article 1, Section 6, Clause 1 of the Constitution confers absolute immunity from prosecution to members of the House or Senate for anything they say on the floor (it does other things, too, but that immunity is what's pertinent here). It's a form of parliamentary immunity. If you're interested, look up a a Supreme Court case from 1977 called Hutchinson v. Proxmire. Proxmire was a US Senator who Hutchinson believed had defamed him. Proxmire asserted immunity from the charge based on this concept of parliamentary immunity, but the SCOTUS held that since Proxmire wasn't on the Senate or House floor when he allegedly defamed Hutchinson, then the immunity did not apply and he could be held liable. Proxmire eventually settled with Hutchinson out of court.

"When have Republicans used such vile and disgusting words to refer to their Democrat colleagues? Is there any equivalent?"

Yes. I don't particularly care to be called a "Demoncrap." I also don't appreciate a sitting President saying that it's impossible for me to be a good American simply because I'm an atheist. I'm a disabled Army veteran, and I don't think a person's beliefs, gender, skin color, religion (or lack thereof) or favorite football team have anything to do with whether they're a good American or not.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you're not aware of any instances of Republicans being just as nasty as the Democratic instances you listed, then you must not know how to use Google properly.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,781,871 times
Doing this is another way of pouting and stomping up and down like a 2 year old. The only thing lacking is the stiff lip and saying "I hate you" although it is obvious Obama and Democrats hate the American people. Big business is good enough but us lowly class everyday americans, we are the guinea pigs for Obama's disastrous health care.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,006,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Both parties are guilty of hyperbole and both have long-outlived their usefulness. But the people keep re-electing the same people and continue to complain about gridlock. Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results...

You sir/ma'am are correct!

Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,781,871 times
Obama and Reid, if Obamacare is such a great thing then why do you have to FORCE people on it, like forcing people to eat liver. It's bad and that's why he wants to force it on us.

Reid and Pelosi don't even want on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies