Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
What happens if the govt doesn't give them the subsidy or cuts back?
Also how do you know for sure if you are qualified til after the fact?

I keep seeing mention of employer insurance availability. They just state affordable options is relevant. Have seen nothing clear and concrete regarding this.

If you have to apply to find out and then they later decide you are not subsidy worthy. What then?

I saw mention of up to a 50% surcharge on tobacco, that is not subsidized, also.
You need to register to get a quote and determine if you qualify for a subsidy. If you do not pay your premium, you will not be insured. That's the way insurance works.

Smokers will be expected to pay more in some states than non smokers, no different than they are today in the open private policy market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 11:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
People had those plans because hey couldn't afford the better ones or by their own free will. Making it a law they have to be buy a more expensive plan is not going to make it affordable to them.
My point was and remains, many people do not understand insurance and make assumptions.

Some of the commentary by Congress suggests many elected officials also don't understand insurance unless they are seeking to intentionally communicate misinformation.

They receive good healthcare benefits from their employer, the government who, like many employers, picks of the tab for about 75% of the cost. Many employees do not grasp the full and true cost of solid group healthcare policies because they are not paying most of the premium.

Most people do not grasp that politically appointed and well paid state insurance commissions make 50 different state laws that govern each policy sold in the state. It's nearly impossible to compare costs across states because of different state laws. Even comparison within state is a challenge unless one understands that proximity to multiple hospitals and healthcare providers matters.

If there's one hospital in a 100 mile radius, versus 50, which location is more likely to have higher healthcare costs?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Chad Henderson is living in a state that did not expand Medicaid that is why he got hit with the full premium. In order to get a subsidy you have to make $16,000 for a single person-138% of poverty. If he made $16,000 he could sign up for a bronze plan for $105 or a Silver plan for $539 per year. Almost every state with a Republican governor did not sign up for the expanded Medicaid.
This doesn't make sense to me. Why if he is below poverty does he not qualify for a subsidy? Quite a few states are not expanding Medicaid.

Could he not have opted out with no penalty? My understanding was one could if it exceeded 8% of your income.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You need to register to get a quote and determine if you qualify for a subsidy. If you do not pay your premium, you will not be insured. That's the way insurance works.

Smokers will be expected to pay more in some states than non smokers, no different than they are today in the open private policy market.
I think you misunderstood the first question. You apply, they say you get a subsidy, but what if they later say you do not or if that subsidy changes. Particularly, the rule that you must not have access to "affordable" insurance through employer is not defined.

Also for states not expanding Medicaid people are left in Limbo. Because, as I understand you have to go through those hoops first, if they determine that before you can even be considered for other options. Seems the same would be true for the ill defined employer issue.

There is a difference for smokers. No subsidy applied to it. That was my point.

Why are you mentioning not paying your premium? That wasn't even mentioned.

Many involved in implementing this system have questions about how this will work.

That 8% income cap rule to opt out seemed ridiculous to me. Of course the idea of coercing someone to buy something is absurd.

Last edited by CDusr; 10-04-2013 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 11:31 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
This doesn't make sense to me. Why if he is below poverty does he not qualify for a subsidy? Quite a few states are not expanding Medicaid.

Could he not have opted out with no penalty? My understanding was one could if it exceeded 8% of your income.
He doesn't want to opt out. He said he's okay with paying more because he supports Obama and his healthcare plan. He's an Obama volunteer.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times
Quote:

He falls in a gap of 100% of poverty and 138% of poverty. When states were allowed to opt out of Medicaid expansion it created a pool of people who didn't qualify for ACA subsidies. I am guessing he could opt out without a penalty. There are going to be a lot of people like this especially people who work under the table and under report their income.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
He doesn't want to opt out. He said he's okay with paying more because he supports Obama and his healthcare plan. He's an Obama volunteer.
Okay.
Well apparently his bills are getting paid some way.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Here's some more info on Chad's story:

Chad Henderson was able to sign up for healthcare! Yea! He's been interviewed by reporters across the country who were desperate to find anyone who had enrolled.
Enroll America passed his info on to reporters.

He's 21. Makes $11,500 per year. His premiums are $175 a month, and he qualifies for no subsidies.

He previously could have gotten insurance for $45 a month, so Obamacare is 300% more expensive than his previous option.

But Chad, conveniently, is an Obama Organizing for America Volunteer, so he openly admits he will pay 300% more to help Obama and his health care law succeed.

This is the big healthcare success story of the week. One Obama volunteer who is paying 300% more for healthcare.

Obamacare Increases Man's Premiums 300%, Supporters Call It a Success Story | Cato @ Liberty

$11,500 = Obamacare Medicaid, no?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
He falls in a gap of 100% of poverty and 138% of poverty. When states were allowed to opt out of Medicaid expansion it created a pool of people who didn't qualify for ACA subsidies. I am guessing he could opt out without a penalty. There are going to be a lot of people like this especially people who work under the table and under report their income.
According to this, that is a large number who are not expanding.
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
quote:
As of September 2013, with the addition of Michigan,[323] 25 states and the District of Columbia have adopted the Medicaid expansion; a few states remain undecided.[321][324][325] States that decline to expand Medicaid before 2014 may choose to opt in at a later time.[326]

But if you do not qualify for Medicaid you should still be allowed subsidies. You are just directed there first. That is my understanding. The Kaiser calculator doesn't indicate that one is not eligible for subsidies based on what you just stated either.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Default Obama Volunteer Chad Henderson Lied About Signing Up for Obamacare

This is too funny. The media scoured the country to find someone, anyone, who had actually signed up for coverage, and they were finally contacted by Enroll America and given a person- Chad Henderson.
The media was so excited, and Chad's story was covered in several national publications and in local press around the country.

Chad's story wasn't great. His premiums were going up by 300% and would have been 20% of his take home pay. But Chad was excited!! (And also an Obama Organizing for America Volunteer.) So the media was excited for him.
Organizing for American tweeted out his success. The healthcare.gov page tweeted out his story. Everyone was thrilled. Finally, a real live person who had obtained (unaffordable) health care! Woohooo!

Ah, but not so fast. Seems our friend Chad is a liar. A savvy media person (maybe the only real reporter left) tracked down Chad's father who said that Chad had actually not signed up for any insurance. And it turns out, the story Chad was telling doesn't match the facts of what is available:

Quote:
Other details from Chad’s story were also difficult to verify. He said his premium was unsubsidized, and cost around $175 a month for the cheapest Bronze coverage plan available. He told the Chattanooga Times Free Press that he got his coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield. But the cheapest unsubsidized Bronze exchange plan at Blue Cross Blue Shield’s online Quick Quote system offers for a 21-year-old in Flintstone, Georgia is $225.09 a month.
Looks like the Obamacare poster boy is a fraud.

Obamacare Poster Boy Chad Henderson and His Dad Haven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies