Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You know how I got mine? I work and the money I work for to make I use it to pay for insurance. So why should I pay for yours? You have the same opportunity. You're an opportunist on someone else's dollar.

Since I am not subsidized I should not be FORCED to go use Obamacare.
As I recall, you have employer-sponsored health insurance same as I. That means that you don't pay full price, if you pay anything, for your health insurance.
In other words, your health insurance is subsidized by your employer.

I guess that makes you an opportunist too, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Its true, doesnt meet the intent. Then you shouldnt post.
And it is not just rates that have and will go up, its deductibles, co-pays and of course the big one, How is the current infrastructure going to handle all the extra people that arent just going to hit up the emergency room.
WELL - not to be picky, but your answer sure doesn't meet the intent either. Specifically, are you a Democrat AND did your rates go up? If not, you shouldn't have posted per the OP. I gather we are to speak strictly to this question and no one else dare type an answer.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Oh .. your rates will absolutely go up .. no doubt about that my friend ... It's the law .. it doesn't make any difference who you're insured with either .. both Liberals and Conservatives are soooo screwed across the board, and the funny part of it all is that 52% of this nation voted for the screwing they are about to receive ..

ACA will be it's own eventual undoing ... By next year at this time, everyone (including the progressives) will be screaming to high heaven .. I $hit you not ...

ACA is going to end .. and end well it will not ...

Spoiler Alert: The Democrats will most willingly support it's repeal ..
It's the LAW that my rates will go up? What law says that?

Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 PM

408 posts, read 393,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Be careful with your planning

"Whether you qualify will depend on what kind of coverage your employer offers. If your job-based coverage is considered affordable and meets minimum value, you won't be able to get lower costs on premiums or out-of-pocket costs in the Marketplace. This is true no matter what your income and family size are."

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-i...lth-insurance/
I appreciate the warning, but I think you misunderstand our position. We're looking for *increased* coverage *regardless* of higher costs. We recognize going in that we could very well spend more than we are now, and that's fine with us.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

pay the extra money so others can be covered .
^ the basis for all insurance.
If you buy life insurance and don't die, you have been screwed?

If you buy auto insurance and don't total your car, you have been screwed?

If you buy home insurance and your house does not burn down, you have been screwed?

If you buy flood insurance and don't flood, you have been screwed?

If you buy liability insurance and no one sues you, you have been screwed?

If you buy healthcare insurance and don't get sick or have an accident, you have been screwed?

Old 10-08-2013, 04:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I posted mine a few days ago. An increase from $267 a month to $869. I had a perfect policy for my situation: 10k deductible for a family of four, no need to have insurance pay the doctor every time one of us gets as sniffle, no pre-existing conditions, no claims on our insurance, ever. Now I have to pay $600 more a month for something I do not want, thanks to our elected representatives and millions of uninformed and under-educated voters that bought into the hype, even when the math was blatantly obvious. This will absolutely crush our economy on a widespread scale.

I am a center right moderate for the record and frankly no longer agree with enough of either parties platform to call myself a supporter.
I am very happy that people with pre-existing conditions can now be insured, that is a wonderful thing. They could have just stopped right there though. I would have had no issue with a premium bump of $50 to $100 a month for that change, but $600 is robbery.
Just curious what state are you in.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:36 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The bill is available on the internet and it isn't that long. I wont even waste the time to link to it but it can be read in about 5 minutes. Republicans have had 3 years to read it and find out what was wrong and yet after 3 years all they can say is lets defund the ACA. The biggest failure though of the Republicans is they haven't offered an alternative plan. The one that is the closest is almost a complete joke. They offer tax deductions that low income people are supposed to take. How does that help if you barely pay taxes. A high income earner writes off $5,000 and some guy barely getting by gets $100. You have to love the Republicans though since that didn't take 2,000 pages.

Uhh, I'm a democrat, but I'm gonna have to call you out on this one. The healthcare bill is over 2,000 pages long, so no, it cannot be read in 5 minutes. This is part of the reason why it's so complex.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
As I recall, you have employer-sponsored health insurance same as I. That means that you don't pay full price, if you pay anything, for your health insurance.
In other words, your health insurance is subsidized by your employer.

I guess that makes you an opportunist too, huh?
My employer picks up the tab for a large portion of my health Insurance. Does that mean that my employer and myself should have to pay more so that others can get a reduced rate? At what point does wealth redistribution become unjust? If they really wanted to control the rising cost of healthcare, perhaps they should have passed laws that actually addressed what was causing the costs to skyrocket.
Why can I travel to Thailand and receive comparable care in a top shelf Thai hospital for a fraction of the cost to have the same procedures done here? Why can I buy name brand medication in Thailand far cheaper than I can here? The ACA does nothing to address the real problems. Not unlike the Immigration bill which does nothing to address the actual problems with immigration. Both are long on give aways and very short on doing anything but spending money.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
^ the basis for all insurance.
If you buy life insurance and don't die, you have been screwed?

If you buy auto insurance and don't total your car, you have been screwed?

If you buy home insurance and your house does not burn down, you have been screwed?

If you buy flood insurance and don't flood, you have been screwed?

If you buy liability insurance and no one sues you, you have been screwed?

If you buy healthcare insurance and don't get sick or have an accident, you have been screwed?
You missed a line.
If you are forced to pay more for your insurance so that others can get a reduced cost you have been screwed.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:45 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I can understand why the OP asked the question because most of the people who post here are on a gubbermint plan. At least half are on Medicare, Tricare, or VA care. A few are on Medicaid. The other 40 percent or so are on private plans. That leaves less than 5% of conservatives who have even a concept of what its like buying insurance in the open market. Its pretty easy to oppose the ACA when you are on the gubbermint dole.
What is "gubbermint"? Do you slobber when you say that word?

And your obsession with Medicare, Tricare and VA is amusing. Highly. Hilarious, in fact. It must suck to be so obsessed with something you don't have a smidgen of understanding about.

Thank you, Jesus, for not making me one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies