Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:30 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

You guys that would "shoot the tires out" need to stop watching cop movies. It's also against policy in most police departments to shoot at a moving vehicle.

Could they have used stop sticks? Maybe, but this unfolded so quickly that there wasn't really time to deploy them.

By all accounts here the officers tried to allow her to surrender and she wouldn't leave the car, wouldn't show her hands, etc. If you really watch the various and numerous videos out there, from all news agencies, you can see all of that happening.

Think of where this happened. Then think of car bombs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
we hear far too often about innocent people being shot dead by police who were either in the wrong place at the wrong time or unarmed in some way. in most of these cases it seems the police could have sot the tires out, shot the person in the leg, done something other than kill them. not saying all police shootings are wrong, however we have too many people being killed by the police for no good reason. they should have better training.
Cops aren't trained to "shoot in the leg". You watch to many movies. Cops are trained to shoot center mass and eliminate the threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You guys that would "shoot the tires out" need to stop watching cop movies. It's also against policy in most police departments to shoot at a moving vehicle.

Could they have used stop sticks? Maybe, but this unfolded so quickly that there wasn't really time to deploy them.

By all accounts here the officers tried to allow her to surrender and she wouldn't leave the car, wouldn't show her hands, etc. If you really watch the various and numerous videos out there, from all news agencies, you can see all of that happening.

Think of where this happened. Then think of car bombs.
I actually detest car chase scenes in movies and action movies in general and do my best to avoid them. They had her surrounded and she was temporarily halted, at least it looked that way in the video. It is not an extraordinary question to wonder how things might have been handled differently, especially if one is a family member which is what the OP is complaining about.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 10-06-2013 at 10:59 AM..

Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Why would the sisters of this woman need to have a lawyer? What did they do? What rights of theirs were violated? What did they lose that was not precipitated by their sister's own actions? Seems like someone's looking to make some money on this.

The next thing we'll hear is "Someone's Gotta Pay!"

Notice in the second line (bolded) below how they now portray themselves as victimized by what happened. If they're afraid of themselves, then maybe they can sue each other.

Sisters of woman killed in DC chase question police actions | Fox News
It's so tiresome. They couldn't be bothered to help their mentally ill sister now they want to get paid.
]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZOyvDIft13pTIvE7_fxGCy3zIq8mZ3 I_Fm2FkC6aM5pF4ZQ9zJw

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-06-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I actually detest car chase scenes in movies and do my best to avoid them. They had her surrounded and she was temporarily halted, at least it looked that way in the video.
Did you not see the first time they had her surrounded? She put in reverse and gunned it, slamming into a cop and patrol car before continuing on her joyride.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The cops did what had to be done, including surrounding and getting close to what could have been a massive car bomb. They did however also look like keystone cops. There were enough cop cars surrounding her but they didn't box her in -leaving an escape route. The funniest bit was the roundabout - just like a movie - going around with cop cars following her and nobody thinking of stopping and blocking. And just like a movie, one cop car ran over rising bollards. No way a potential terrorist or car bomber should be able to lead police on a chase from the White House to the Capitol building. Hopefully there will be some "lessons learned".

Yes, and spraying bullets into a vehicle which might have explosives in it could set off the explosives, yes?

Good thing none of those cops hit the gas tank.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I knew it was coming. Their lawyer is probably grinning from ear to ear. It's always somebody else fault. They have 3 agencies they can sue.

3 agencies with the deepest pockets on the planet

Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Yes, and spraying bullets into a vehicle which might have explosives in it could set off the explosives, yes?

Seriously bro, things don't play out like they do in the movies. The car wasn't going to blow up.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:57 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Cops aren't trained to "shoot in the leg". You watch to many movies. Cops are trained to shoot center mass and eliminate the threat.

yes I do watch movies, however I base the opinion on what I have heard from combat military veterans. many will tell you you don't always need deadly force.

the police should be better trained to take someone down or eliminate the threat without killing unarmed or mentally ill people.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

Yeah, then they would have had a HazMat situation from leaking gas. Once again, too many movies watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies