Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times

Advertisements

If servers make $15 an hour in Seattle, I guess tipping 15% to 20% on average wouldn't really be truly necessary anymore right? I mean in most foreign countries, tipping is seen as unnecessary or even strange...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'd like to see it closer to $20/hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Me too, but I would be happy seeing it at $15.
Then I want a proportional raise in my wages as well. And who is going to bear the cost of all of this?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 AM

872 posts, read 2,030,031 times
If this goes through....I want my (somewhat) middle class salary to increase by 20% as well.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
All I can say is wow...and I usually vote liberal. Wow. 15/hr?! Can you imagine what they would do for so many shops and grocery stores, especially those that are locally owned? To have their costs increases by 20% or more in an already expensive tax city?

All this would do is hurt the middle class and the lower class, as costs would just be hyper inflates because of it. Actually, the middle class would be hurt the worst because they would likely see no raise but a raise in prices.

This is seriously ridiculous.
I need to ask, do you think the minimum wage should be raised at all? Because if you answer, yes, it means that we aren't discussing anything fundamental, just setting the right number.

The minimum wage was $1.60 in 1968. It is now $7.25. Had the MW kept up with inflation, it would be $10.42. But why should the MW always lag behind adjustments? Why can't it be ahead of them?

There is no evidence to show that a higher minimum wage impacts jobs or that they appreciably raise prices. The price of rents rising more greatly impacts prices.

I also object to calling people who happen to have a differing opinion with you "nimrods." I believe my views are just as valid as yours.

I personally think the MW should be an hourly rate such that if one was employed full-time, the employee wouldn't be eligible for Medicaid or SNAP.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
All I can say is wow...and I usually vote liberal. Wow. 15/hr?! Can you imagine what they would do for so many shops and grocery stores, especially those that are locally owned? To have their costs increases by 20% or more in an already expensive tax city?

All this would do is hurt the middle class and the lower class, as costs would just be hyper inflates because of it. Actually, the middle class would be hurt the worst because they would likely see no raise but a raise in prices.

Wrong; You yourself said " already expensive tax city" Now just who does 15.00 an hour....( a barley living wage in the PNW ) effect the most , its the workers , now maybe some of them , after food, clothing , survival basics ...will be able to help pay some of those high taxes. I like a strong tax base where the burden is spread out among the people including big business need to pay their fair share. Makes forf a better maintained city.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
I though my sarcasm was obvious. Doubling the minimum wage is an astoundingly horrible idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Is that sarcasm or are you for social justice that will completely stagnate this country.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:37 AM

872 posts, read 2,030,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Wrong; You yourself said " already expensive tax city" Now just who does 15.00 an hour....( a barley living wage in the PNW ) effect the most , its the workers , now maybe some of them , after food, clothing , survival basics ...will be able to help pay some of those high taxes. I like a strong tax base where the burden is spread out among the people including big business need to pay their fair share. Makes forf a better maintained city.
Lol I love how you say "PNW" as though eastern oregon/washingtonn, southern oregon/wash, idaho, wyoming are "expensive" places to live...compared to...what? Wow, what a dumb post.

Yeah business taxes are high in Seattle, that what most companies have their global HQ somewhere outside of city limits (Microsoft, for example). if the minimum wage is raised, the only people losing are the middle class, because they will see their income diminish in value with no raise.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
The minimum wage is generally a sham policy put forth by sham politicos. Compare how agriculture price supports work with how the minimum wage (i.e. labor price support) works. With ag price supports, a minimum price is set, and if the market price falls below that, a gov't subsidy is given to the farmer to make up the difference. With the minimum wage (labor price support) there is no pesky subsidy. There is just a fiat declaration of the minimum price level. If the market price (wage) for your particular skill set falls below that level, you are probably out of a job.

Why the two different approaches to the same problem? The ag price supports were devised by a group with political clout (the ag lobby) seeking something that would actually benefit their people. The minimum wage was devised by liberal politicians seeking a PR ploy that would get them PR and votes from the gullible and the economically illiterate.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,825 times
Anyone who thinks this is a good idea knows absolutely nothing about economics. This is a terrible idea, the people in Seattle better be okay with the value of the dollar dropping vastly and being forced to pay ridiculous amounts for everything.

If this happens the cost of living in Seattle will be absolutely terrible. Only the very rich would be able to afford it. This is why liberals shouldn't be allowed to make or discuss economics of any kind. Just like guns, they need to be educated on the subject.

The minimum wage should never be increased, ever. There shouldn't even be one, or at the very least, nothing more than say set at around $5 and never raised.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,764 times
Quote:

My crystal ball is as accurate as yours is, but mine is showing that with a higher minimum wage there would be less people on welfare, more people spending more money, and an improved economy.

If you have a secured job, why worry about it? Let them give this a shot in Seattle. If your crystal ball is correct, they'll stop and no one will try it again. If my crystal ball is correct, then we can be glad that they tried it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies